Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Headlines That Left You Speechless 2

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:22 am

Muslim restaurateurs face being flogged for selling alcohol.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/a ... rnalSearch
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Someone once said that Islam was where Christianity grew a pair of balls - I think they've been on steroids for too long now... :roll:

I particularly like this piece of twaddle
“It will be the end of freedom of democracy and submission to God. We don’t believe in democracy, as soon as they have authority, Muslims should implement Sharia. This is what we’re trying to teach people.”

My emphasis for 'and' :lol: Definitely a statement that could have been voiced by Vetinari - the less religion has to do with politics, especially as a substitute, the better! :evil:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:19 pm

I tend to stay away from discussions about politics or religion but I wonder if he would be able to say this if he was living in an undemocratic country? My personal opinion,btw, is that he has as much to do with the tenets of Islam as the white supremacist movement has with the tenets Christianity; both bring their respective religions into disrepute.

Incidentally, I thought that already some similarities between the British judicial system and Sharia law that has existed for a long while now and is nothing particularly new. Could someone with a bit of legal knowledge enlighten me on the subject (purely for academic purposes, btw, so that I know whether I am talking out of my backside as usual or whether I am more or less right)? :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Basically it's rubbish Penners ;) Britannia was one of the first parts of the Roman Empire to fall which explains why Roman law was late to come here (with the Plantagenets and the first crusades) and why our legal system owes more to the Saxons, Danes and Normans (who were always more Norse than French), especially for canon law (the church) which was the basis of our legal system before Henry II, when the crown began to overhaul the courts and keep the commonalty subjugated so the aristocracy could stay at the the top of the tree.

There used to more than 4 Inns of Court which are basically where groups of barristers had their work places (chambers) and trained - they were run along the lines of universities or a posh guildhall. :roll: Nothing much to do with Islam, but very much to do with land ownership and property law which is why the Lord Chancellor's job (think Cardinal Wolsey and Thomas Moore) was historically linked to the Treasury and how the monarch managed to keep some hold on the pursestrings until the 17th C :evil: Historically I'd say the Inns had more in common with Judaism which was a lot more influential in western Europe economically into modern times - and of course Britain wasn't even looked on as being European for a large part of the last millennium so the Middle East wasn't terribly important until we went and got an Eastern Empire and certainly not in the time of the Knights Templar - Islam was the 'enemy' after all. :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks Jan, it was just something that I thought I had heard a while back but wasn't aware of any facts. :D
Penfold

Postby Ghost » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby raptornx01 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:09 am

Must.... resist......
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Penfold » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

A lucky escape, I feel, it could have been much worse.
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 pm

I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Slow news day?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:30 am

I dunno.

Anyway, Beyonce and NASA having a bit of a fracas...

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/article.aspx?id=938552&cid=BP_RSS_ENTERTAINMENT_1_NASAslamsBeyonceoverChallengergrab_010114

...and more disturbingly, only a third of Americans believe that evolution happened by natural selection.

http://www.skynews.com.au/offbeat/article.aspx?id=938520&cid=BP_RSS_ODDSPOT_1_USevolutiondoubts_010114

The United States of America, Land of the Free...well, free-range delusional, anyway. :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 pm

James Avery passed away. :cry:

He was a big part of my childhood. He was Uncle Phil on Fresh Prince Of Bel-air and the voice of the Shredder in the original Ninja Turtles series (my obsession as a kid).

RIP

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbiz/c ... very-obit/
raptornx01

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:57 am

Yeah, I saw about his death yesterday. My first reaction? "Nooooooo. Uncle Phil".

RIP big man.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 pm

Quatermass

Postby chillicamper » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:58 am

FFS.....really! Is this Government trying to wreck the countryside? How can a newly planted 'woodland' have anywhere near the same biodiversity as an Ancient Woodland.

It might only start as an idea for 'Major infrastructure projects' but you can bet the bastards will extend it. Here's a radical idea Mr Paterson.......you could just plough more money into tree planting schemes anyway.....then we would have the Ancient Woodlands and newly planted woods. It doesn't have to be a case of 'either or'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25599249
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum