Ghurka justice campaign

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ghurka justice campaign

Postby Straw Walker » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:20 pm

I apologise if this is an inappropriate place for this but I and thousands of others are disgusted at the treatment of retired Ghurka soldiers by this government so I'd just like to ask you all to sign this petition.

www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

Thank you.
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Dotsie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I don't think it's inappropriate. Thanks for posting it Straw Walker
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Nice one Straw Walker!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm

I'm already a signatory and got this email from Joanna Lumley yesterday:

Thank you so much for your support of the Gurkha Justice campaign.
We are overwhelmed by the support the campaign is receiving. As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas.
The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier. It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable. The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage. I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now. This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg. Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again. We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so? You can send a message to your MP directly at www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday. On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support. If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future. Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't. With warmest good wishes,
Joanna
www.gurkhajustice.org.uk
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Done and done. Thank for posting this Straw Walker :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

they all deserve medals and homes .
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:58 pm

just signed up :) got some good gurka stories but they go on a bit and i type with one big finger :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:35 pm

I've signed the petition and emailed my MP.

The Ghurkas deserve justice.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Trish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 am

Looks as if someone took a page from the US's Veterans Administration.
It is past disgusting how veterans --in all countries-- are treated after their tours.

In the US, it's empty words: "we owe our brave soldiers our freedom" and "our military are our heroes."
If this is so, why do governments treat their non-career ex-military so badly?

Ahh, I get it...
No wonder the government is denying citizenship; they don't want to pay for pensions + health care.
Seems just like the States.
Trish

Postby chris.ph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:28 pm

the gurkas are officially classified as mercenaries thats how they can get away with giving them nothing
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Seems like MPs are officially classed as charities :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Great news! Gordon Brown has suffered a defeat today when MPs voted to give all Gurkha soldiers equal right of residence in Britain.
The votes cast resulted in the motion being carried by 267 to 246, a majority of 21.
Although the vote isn't binding on the Government, it still gives hope to all the Ghurkas that have been discriminated against.

Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:28 pm

Now that IS good news! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:09 pm

VERY
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Straw Walker » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:46 am

I received this from Roger Gale MP this morning. Excellent! I should apologise to my MP, Gwyn Prosser who was one of the labour Members who voted against the government

Gurkhas - An Historic Defeat for the Government

This Labour Government has this (Wednesday) afternoon suffered what will prove to have been an historic defeat, says North Thanet's MP Roger Gale.

Speaking immediately following the result of the "Gurkhas Justice" vote in the House of Commons the MP said:

"Earlier this afternoon I attended the rally outside parliament with Joanna Lumley in support of the Gurkhas cause and met with two of the very few living holders of the Victoria Cross. These brave men have epitomised service to our country and in return they have been offered only a shameful and dishonourable deal by the Government.

The House of Commons has taken a step towards the restoration of that honour by soundly defeating the Government. We now expect Ministers to come to the House immediately and to say how they propose to implement the clearly expressed will of parliament and to make provision so that the Gurkha troops who have served in the UK armed Forces and who wish to do so are able to remain with their families in the United Kingdom".
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Next

Return to The Broken Drum