Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Whether the weather, Whatever the Weather.

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Had to drive my mom to a couple of appointments yesterday. It was a little nerve-wracking. Roads were slippery, cars off the road, etc. If I'd realized how bad it was, I would have had her reschedule.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Alanz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:09 pm

It's nearly all melted now, Yipeeee :dance:
Alanz

Postby Del » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:24 pm

l
Del wrote:couldn't drag the kids outside for a bit of a rain dance could you Jenn? Stir up a small cyclone off the coast? Bring on the wet season?

JENN!!! JENN !!!! Get those kids inside and burn their dancing shoes!!!

Know you got a bit (HA!) of rain your way. This "weather event" has broken most rain records in the last two days. Floods. Some places have had a METRE of rain in 48 hours! That's about 39inches (about .. didn't check). Rockhampton where Jenn lives has floods. This things seems to be picking up a life of its own as it moves south.

6 tornados around Bundaberg overnight as its moving down towards us. It's been raining here... heavy ... but yanno...I used to live up north... monsoons etc. Heavy rain doesn't usually faze me. But this has picked up big time in the last two hours.. and it's nowhere upon us yet... it's 5am . The bad stuff is supposed to hit this afternoon but the wind gusts are kind of getting scarey already. M went out last night. Told her to stay out and undercover.

Since when are 125klm winds NOT a cyclone.

This is the crappiest house I have ever lived in. I have no trust at all in it handling high winds. The windows are almost popping already in the gusts. Stupid house. Daylight is just coming so that will be good. . .
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Did I mention I have a creek at the bottom of my yard?
Del

Postby AuntyVague » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:16 pm

We've been hearing about the flooding and cyclones in Queensland. I hope the wet season settles itself back down and Sister Jen and Del, you both stay safe and sound. Same for everyone dealing with too much snow and ice 'up top'.

We had our first rain for January last night and could certainly do with some more. It is thankfully pretty cool too. The fire in the north of our region has reached 69,894 hectares (270 square miles) but cooler weather and calm conditions have slowed it down dramatically. It is in fairly inaccessible bush now, so it is a case of watching closely and containing lines while hoping conditions will allow it to slowly burn itself out rather than flare up again. Actively putting it out is not an option now.

So...is anyone having nice pleasant weather without any dramatic climatic events anywhere?
AuntyVague

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 am

Kids are tied to the kitchen chairs as I type Del, so no worries. Hope your home keeps it together.

I'm OK thanks Aunty. Staffing at my work has been critical the last few days. People who live out of town can't get into work cause of flooding. I think the hospital was down 40 staff on Thursday. We've been working extra hours to cover the shortage. I did see a patch of blue sky before but then I heard another severe storm warning on the radio. Will check out the BOM site.

I can't believe bloody tornadoes! Those poor people around Bunderberg.

I saw England & Wales are in for more flooding when all that snow melts.

Be careful everyone, stay safe.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am

What we have is nothing to what you get down under. Stay safe all of you.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Broccolee » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 am

Stay safe and keep cosy,girls.Your weather is just so over the top.As Mad said,nothing to what we get.
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Del » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Broccolee wrote:Stay safe and keep cosy,girls.Your weather is just so over the top.As Mad said,nothing to what we get.

On yeah ... our snowdrifts are so much worse than yours!!! :lol:

Our weather might get a bit extreme but I thunk you lot get it worse... I have been stuck inside two days and am going stir crazy!

Was strange watching the news tonight ..split screen live reports and one is Brissy and one in Rocky. ..one being blown away and the one in Rocky in a patch of sunshine.. but both still flooding.

Glad you are okay Jenn. Must ring Grandma.. she's in Rocky and needs to get to the hospital twice a week for dialysis.

Aunty V. I was hoping this cyclone would do what the last one did and end up in Victoria and flood the fires. :( I also heard Gippsland got a bit of rain. Hope it buckets down on you.

Wind is scarey here.

I was in the newsagent Saturday... the front page was the first few lines of Doroth McKellar's poem... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bloody Dorothy McKellar! !!!!!! I blame HER.

Stay safe you uplanders. . Your weather has been on our news too.
Del

Postby Batty » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on here, but there has been a suggestion made that to help stop the flooding when the rain comes, people should build snowmen, as it takes them longer to thaw - which will delay the excess water entering the over-worked drainage!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby janet » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:09 pm

:lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Del » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it!

Does that apply to the motorways too Batty? That would be lovely huh.... snowmen ALL the way down the motorways... nice thing to see if you have a long slog home or stuck in traffic :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Alanz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Batty wrote:I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on here, but there has been a suggestion made that to help stop the flooding when the rain comes, people should build snowmen, as it takes them longer to thaw - which will delay the excess water entering the over-worked drainage!

dam i knew there was something that i forgot to do today, too late now all gone :(
Alanz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:04 pm

Just watched the weather forcast for our area on Tuesday 60 to 70 mph wind. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Just had notice that whole towns are being evacuated in the Lockyer Valley Ipswich area. Watching the river level plots and some of them have shot up 10 metres in an hour.

It blowing hard rain horizontal outside. I cant even put my head out. I cant believe this is still blowing... keep expecting it to ease off and it hasnt. I cant imagine those poor people having to evacuate in this kind of weather in the middle of the night. Will be dawn soon thank goodness. I am worn out. I am calm... after all the house has come through the night.. but then another BIGGER gust hits for about two minutes and its SO strong.

OMG! that was a huge one. Dont mind me I am just freaking out. I have been in a cyclone that had milder winds than this.

Why do they say it has passed us when its getting so much worse.
Del

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum