Likes and Dislikes

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 pm

*yawns largely*

verbs and adjectives rock - rest is just unnecessary glue (well maybe the odd adverb as well) :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Perdita X » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Sorry Jan :oops: - It just came up and PoohB was to hand with his teacherly wisdom

PoohB - thanks - yes son's teacher is what is known in the States as a "jock". He can't do Maths either. Must be one of those who become teachers because they can't do anything else :wink:

Perdita X
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 pm

My final words on adjectives;

Sometimes there is no noun eg; The unemployed, The blind

Sometimes adjectives follow verbs eg; He fell to the ground unconscious

Sometimes they follow nouns eg; It's the only solution possible, or two miles long

Why can you say "You're a bloody idiot" but not "That idiot is bloody" 8)

Finished now, you can wake up Jan! :wink:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 14, 2009 2:17 pm

Oh good - can we talk about Elf-vis now? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Seriously though - what about Elvis? He's really where 'rock n roll' all took off and got all shook up, if not where it started.

Yes I know all about grass roots (or all I ever want to know thanks), but whether you were/(still) are a fan truth is until he started curling his lips an' jiggling his hips about there wasn't really a global embracing for the music in it's core market with the 'kids' 'cos really there weren't any teenagers as such - just grumpy kids who hadn't quite turned into their parents yet. So the man and his music has to be fundamental to all that followed for the youth market.

So I own up - I'm not an utter Elvis fan but I love a lot of his music and that bloody sexy voice that was as great with gospel as it was with Vegas gloss. Tom Jones might have got women's pants onto the stage but Elvis got them wriggling hot first :P
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu May 14, 2009 5:24 pm

i prefer tom jones beig a patrotic welshman :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Thu May 14, 2009 5:25 pm

and a bad speller :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 pm

If Elvis had refused to join the army, the Vietnam war would have ended sooner.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby superfurryandy » Fri May 15, 2009 11:09 am

I detest Elvis.

And The Beatles are overrated.

I'm such an iconoclast :wink:
superfurryandy

Postby Perdita X » Fri May 15, 2009 11:49 am

Even though you are both Super and Furry Andy - you can't describe the Beatles as overrated. S'not okay at all.

although I think you are possibly just doing it to be provocative, yer little scamp!

You have to remember what the Beatles did musically for Britain - Do you think the wholesale evolution of popular music would have happened in the way it did without them - Discuss (Should we open a whole new thread on this)

Elvis i can live without though - probably cos he's American - perhaps he looms as large in US music as the Beatles do in UK music? Could our US residents comment on this ?

Superfurryandy - Whats with your music list? Is it top 10 of what you've been listening to on your pooter?

Perdita X
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 15, 2009 12:36 pm

The Beatles aren't just about music - it's the whole 60's era and they were riding the wave for most of it so they're hugely important from a cultural perspective as well as musically.

I really prefer the Stones' music to the Beatles'; The Who were more revolutionary; Pink Floyd were far more intelligent musicians and lyricists; The Kinks were much sexier... but the Beatles evolved & 'led' and this is why they're more influential than all of those supergroups because they were of the time and then they 'died', so they're legend and forever fixed in that decade as THE Supergroup.

Lennon was a nutcase - a self-destructive genius and his lyrics and conceptual ideology were for the most part brilliant and his vision and McCartney's talent for the attractively commercial pushed the Beatles into superstardom at a time where there'd never been anyone quite like them, so no - they were great even if you don't like them or their music.

Greater than Elvis because they were far more original and less commercially led (and Elvis was also hugely conventional too as pooh says, with him doing National Service, although he didn't get sent to 'Nam) but he's important in the same way, because he was the first of that New Wave and his early image and work caught the imagination of the resentful bored teenagers in the late 50's/60's the world over - they'd never been a 'power' demographic faction before collectively, but everything began to change globally with Elvis-mania and became unstoppable with the Beatles because they caught people's imaginations and changed the way we thought and lived :wink:

That said - it's only us old fogies who remember what it was like before (or had parents who did!) so you are excused not liking them or Elvis :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 15, 2009 12:51 pm

I think Elvis was an icon. He was the forerunner of the popular music we hear today. I remember when he first hit the British pop charts, yes, I am that old. I saw all his films in the cinema originally, even have some on DVD. I watched G.I. Blues the other day.
He was my hero & I was very disappointed he never came to England & played concerts here. Sadly his real life was tragic & many pop stars have gone down that same route. He was The King!

The Beatles were also icons. I was too old to appreciate what John, Paul, George & Ringo, did for our pop culture. Looking back they also changed pop history. I did/do like their music.

I don't think any other pop stars have done for pop/rock music what Elvis & The Beatles have done.
Sure there are individual groups that stand out. Queen & Iron Maiden to name two, but they followed on from what the others started.
This is my oppinion anyway.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 15, 2009 1:28 pm

I love Queen. I really miss Freddie!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 15, 2009 2:43 pm

So do I Dotsie. They were a brilliant band with Freddie, not so good now, I think anyway.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Ditto's Tiffany and Dotsie on Queen - :D and good on Roger, Brian and John for realising that some people just can't be replaced and not touring anymore even if they've recorded with other singers - they're all great musicians in their own right and don't need the money, so why try to improve on perfection and carry on without one vital component.

They were/are icons as well they just weren't 'the first' - Elvis still opened the doors and the Beatles opened the floodgates. Without them we'd be in a very different world I think - or else the world was just ready to head off in a new direction and they played us on our way :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum