Likes and Dislikes

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri May 08, 2009 10:46 am

I got 5/10 by sheer guesswork.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Stultus Saxum » Fri May 08, 2009 10:52 am

poohbcarrot wrote:I got 5/10 by sheer guesswork.

you used the same method as me then. :lol:
Stultus Saxum

Postby wolfiess » Mon May 11, 2009 1:43 am

I have to agree with Trish meatloaf is just amazing and i love his version of let it be. There is not music i dont like other than rap and bagpipes
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 11, 2009 12:35 pm

You won't hear many Bagpipes in Glesca,but they are music to my ears love them dearly always gets the blood pumping,that and a decent bit of Rock. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby wolfiess » Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:You won't hear many Bagpipes in Glesca,but they are music to my ears love them dearly always gets the blood pumping,that and a decent bit of Rock. :D

I love your avatar

i grew up in Edinburgh and when i moved back after uni i moved right to the heart of the city and there used to be a man who played the bagpipes right under my window every morning for a year it kinda puts you off a bit lol
wolfiess

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 11, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm from 16 miles north of Edinburgh,been down in London a long time making plans to go back home some time in the not too distant future.

daft Wullie is one of my favorite Feegle's. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 pm

Don't lots of Scottish people (and Irish) leave their country to seek fame and fortune in the big city of a faraway country, vow to return one day, but never do? :lol:

PS I'm not leaving Japan!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby wolfiess » Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Don't all Scottish people (and Irish) leave their country to seek fame and fortune in the big city of a faraway country, vow to return one day, but never do? :lol:

I lived in london and i travelled a lot but i moved back and have now set up home
wolfiess

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue May 12, 2009 10:43 am

wolfiess wrote: i grew up in Edinburgh and when i moved back after uni i moved right to the heart of the city and there used to be a man who played the bagpipes right under my window every morning for a year it kinda puts you off a bit lol

I have a fair bit of Scots and Irish blood (my maiden name was Gove which means smith - of the Jason kind) and I love to hear the pipes, but just one at a time please, not a whole band and certainly not everyday and most definitely not as an alarm - doesn't the Queen get that when she's at Balmoral? *shudders* :wink:
I also think there's a type of music that suits the pipes and it's not Amazing Grace... :x

Have kept out of this as I'm really 'off' most sounds atm - have overdone the sensory input recently :oops: I can't even stand Birdsong Radio and I have the real thing just outside in the garden so it's not really needed :lol:

My tastes are very eclectic and includes some country, mainly written by both Dolly and Parton PMSL (though little western save perhaps the Blues Bros version of Rawhide! :D ) punk; glam-rock - I still like Glitterrock too even though the man's a slimeball - dosen't mean the music's crap and the Glitterband were AMAZING live with the 2 full drum kits on stage -their drum 'solos' truly rocked! Was like an earthquake! :twisted: ;
What else? David Bowie's been there all along although I didn't enjoy the Thin White Duke phase too much, but the music was mostly excellent then; Queen too and although they've lost Freddy :cry: they're still right up there and those vids are all works of art; Bob Marley; Eddie Grant; Police; Jethro Tull - Ian Anderson is an utter god and loves cats too! :lol:; Ultravox before and with Ure; Thin Lizzy; Boomtown Rats; Spandau and Duran; Thompson Twins...

... and then it gets a little vague and I started to diversify into more classical stuff - adore Beethoven and Handel and opera as well, especially Puccini and Wagner - have you ever driven in a thunderstorm with Ride of the Valkyries playing on the CD - it's brilliant! :lol:

Rap/Hip-Hop I mostly don't like but if I have to Eminem's pretty cool if weird. Hey Chris - guess what? I love Howard Shore too - especially LotR :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Trish » Tue May 12, 2009 11:48 am

poohbcarrot wrote:Don't lots of ... Irish leave their country to seek fame and fortune in the big city of a faraway country, vow to return one day, but never do? :lol:

No, my mother met my father when they were both on holiday in Galway.
So she left Dublin to move here --a steel mill town on the edge of Appalachia.

Yes, all the bad things you hear about the Appalachian region are true.

Thank any god who's paying attention, my parents traveled and made sure I saw a bit of the world and almost all of North America.
Trish

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

Trish wrote:Yes, all the bad things you hear about the Appalachian region are true.

I promise that in my whole life I've never ever heard anything bad about the Appalachian area. I don't even know where it is.

What am I missing? Can you tell me some juicy stuff?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Tue May 12, 2009 5:24 pm

its a couple of little hills in north america somewhere :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby superfurryandy » Tue May 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Rap/Hip-Hop I mostly don't like but if I have to Eminem's pretty cool if weird.

For summat a wee bit leftfield, try some Busdriver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpP-8tJ-9Js

And a song dedicated to Dubya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvxHx8HYfs0&feature=related
superfurryandy

Postby Perdita X » Wed May 13, 2009 12:31 pm

I hate threads like this but can't help myself from wanting to post - just in case someone says my fave musical artists first and then it looks like I am copying :shock:

- I haven't read anyone mention my fave music yet so you are probably all much more sophisticated than me. This is my "despite the passing of time these artists remain" list

1. John Martyn (mayherestinpeace)
2. Leftfield (was a cheesy quaver in the 90's)
3. Goldfrapp (she makes her own clothes you know)
4. Nina Simone (who doesn't need a little sugar in their bowl!)
5. Prince
6. RHCP
7. Led Zeppelin
8. The Who
9. The Smiths
10. Black SAbbath
11. Tom Waits (And the piano has been drinking, not me)
12. Paul Simon

Trouble with a list like this is it's hard to stop once you start
Have got a more classical list too

i) Il Nozze di Figaro
ii) Handels Messiah
iii) Bach - cantata and fugue in d Minor
iv) planets suite - Gustav Holst
v) Peter and the wolf - Grieg
vi) and not strictly classical but War of the worlds - Jeff Wayne

Feel a bit embarassed now, and a bit teenaged somehow

Perdita X
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Tom Waits! Nighthawks at the Diner, his live album is wonderful! :D
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum