Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 pm

There will be something for you somewhere Mici, the previous experience trap gets so many people
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Or the over qualified for the Job is another, keep on trying mC.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:01 pm

It's always difficult looking for work and rejection does hurt (I've lost count of how many jobs that I've been turned down for and I still get frustrated). However, you could drop them a line explaining that you are new to job hunting and interviews and ask them for some feedback on where you can improve your interviewing techniques. Not only might this help for future job applications but they might also remember you as the 'eager girl who was willing to learn' if you decide to re-apply should a future vacancy with them come up. It might not do any good right now but at worst it will only cost you a few minutes of your time to Email them. Good luck and I hope you have better success than I've been having.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby phalarope » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:42 am

Hugs Mici! Penners gives good advice. I know it doesn't pay the bills, but volunteer work can give you the experience you lack. Can you offer translation skills anywhere?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby wicked woman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 am

Hugs mici. The right job for you will come along.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby michelanCello » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:06 am

phalarope wrote:Hugs Mici! Penners gives good advice. I know it doesn't pay the bills, but volunteer work can give you the experience you lack. Can you offer translation skills anywhere?

I've tried that as well, but people usually want translators with a degree, I don't have that... I just know them :P

Thanks Penners, I was actually considering getting some feedback from them, but they contacted me through a robot e-mail, I can't reply to that. I'm actually thinking paying them a visit on Friday, when I'm going to the airport anyway (*does the happy dance in brackets* :dance: ), so I could just knock on their door and be like: Image I'm sure that's going to improve my carreer :lol:

I wouldn't mind doing an un-payed internship or volounteer job, as long as that one is something in my area of studies or something I'd really-really like doing. I would've done the embassy job for free if I'd had to.
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby chillicamper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 am

Sorry to hear about the job mC.

Are their any companies that are recruiting at all near you? Sometimes any job on the CV is better than none. Are they holding any recruitment days?

I had to do a complete change of career when I wrecked my shoulder so badly I could not carry on being a tree surgeon/lumberjack (feel free to insert an Monty Python clips here :lol: )

I was out of work for 6 months and applied for literally hundreds of office jobs, but no-one would even offer an interview because they thought I could only handle a chainsaw, not a computer.

I did a couple of basic computer courses, but that didn't get me any further. In the end a local travel insurance claims handling company was looking for several posts to be filled and held an open evening. I attended and to begin with got the normal answer that I had no experience. In the end I collared the Claims manager and asked her why she wouldn't give me an interview. She said because of lack of experience and also they were worried that they would train me, I wouldn't like working in an office and I would leave. So I said I had a mortgage to pay and I would promise to give the company at least 2 years if they would train me......it got me an interview at least and eventually the job.

Sometimes the only way to convince people of your intentions is to stick yourself in front of their face and tell them :lol:

I actually wasn't keen on the job, but stuck it out for 5 years to get promotion and get something decent on the CV.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 am

I really can feel with you ... had the same procedure myself last year ... written more than a hundred job applications, crisscrossed through the country to go to the interviews, and every reply a refusal and mostly without even a hint at the reason, feeling to me like a slap in the face. :cry:

But then, a few days before Christmas, at last I get a job and I hope with you you also will get one soon. :)
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby michelanCello » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone! :) I'll keep trying and hopefully something will turn up... what job did you get in the end, Roland? Do you like it?
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby janet » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Sorry about the jobs Mici :( My daughter's going through the same and it is painful to be on the receiving end of rejection time after time. I've come to the conclusion that it's the pushy people who get the jobs and Chilli confirms this. So hard for someone basically shy and totally non-pushy like my daughter.
phalarope wrote:Hugs Mici! Penners gives good advice. I know it doesn't pay the bills, but volunteer work can give you the experience you lack. Can you offer translation skills anywhere?

Daughter is doing a day or two a week as a volunteer in a charity shop. They think very highly of her there, she's learning new skills and it looks good on her CV that she is using her time well.
Would it be an idea to approach possible sources of translation work and ask them to give you a trial period?
Good luck!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby michelanCello » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 pm

We don't really have charity shops here... :? not even 2nd hand shops! Only clothing, but that's profit-orientated... but thanks, Janet! I'm keeping my eyes open Image
Listen.
michelanCello

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm

michelanCello wrote:Thanks everyone! :) I'll keep trying and hopefully something will turn up... what job did you get in the end, Roland? Do you like it?

It is an apprenticeship to clerk in public administration in the student exchange service and will start in september.
But since I was searching several months and despite some personal reasons like age, abandoned studies etc. I am very happy to get the job at all.
And I hope I will like it, it fits perfectly, I think.

So I am sure, you also will get a job in the end which you like. :)
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby chillicamper » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:17 pm

janet wrote:Sorry about the jobs Mici :( My daughter's going through the same and it is painful to be on the receiving end of rejection time after time. I've come to the conclusion that it's the pushy people who get the jobs and Chilli confirms this. So hard for someone basically shy and totally non-pushy like my daughter.

I know how difficult it is to speak up - I'm not usually pushy! I'd been without work for 6 months and so I was getting desperate - the mortgage needed paying! :lol: I basically got quite angry that people were not giving me a chance when I knew I could do the jobs I was applying for.

As I get older I'm getting better at speaking up and not being as shy.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:47 am

Sorry to hear about the rejections, MC.
I've got nothing to add to the great advice that's already been given. But I have (((hugs))) for you. Keep trying.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:53 am

Ah mC, swings and roundabouts. :romance-caress:
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum