Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Slantaholic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:10 pm

Me! I'm frustrating! I'm annoyingly 'old', and not enough 'necro' enough on- or off-line to be 'cool'.

*wails* How do people cope with 15 year olds for Christmas? I have one, partly genderqueer.

I have forbidden advent calendars (not made them entirely illegal) because chocolate is bad for one's health! It should be fun enough to open a little cardboard door with a letter opener per morning with the mail. I cannot afford the excessively standard red and green decorations, and artwork is sneered upon. I always insert my Xmas cards between tightly fitted books on my bookshelves, we do not need, you know, that hanging metallic thrust from one end of the room to the window to support card.

Why cannot the phone generation understand how to switch it off, yet cannot operate video recorders like my generation were supposed to tamper with? It appears to be entertainment devices that stimulate them, not machines and not backs and plugs of electronic furniture. I love rooting around the back of my TV and computer. There's so many wires these days, yet I cannot rummage around and remove someone else's SD card with someone else's panic attack as to where the photos and vids went.

How do people cope?
Slantaholic

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Wow. Not sure I followed all of that Slant, but I'm very sorry you're so frustrated over so many things. Hope you're able to get some time to relax. As for what other people do or can't do, I wouldn't let it bother you unless it interferes directly with the way you want to live your life.

Tina, so glad things are getting straightened out! I know that doesn't undo all the stress, but hopefully it will all be behind you soon.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby =Tamar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 am

Slantaholic wrote:*wails* How do people cope with 15 year olds for Christmas?
[SNIP] I cannot afford the excessively standard red and green decorations, and artwork is sneered upon. I always insert my Xmas cards between tightly fitted books on my bookshelves, we do not need, you know, that hanging metallic thrust from one end of the room to the window to support card.

I favor the iron fist. If said 15-year-olds have the gall to sneer at artwork and insist that only expensive and yet ordinary commercial decorations are fit to be seen, then tell them there shall be no Christmas this year for them. None at all. No decorations, no traditions, no gifts, no songs, no special dinner. (You can send cards out to others if you like. If they want to, they have to buy their own cards and stamps also.) Then maybe they will do something that will indicate which parts they actually care about. If they don't, then they don't deserve your effort this year. They can earn next year's Christmas, too.

Harrumph.

I have fond memories of being 15 and ironing the carefully-saved Christmas paper and ribbons flat to be used yet again, and sometimes finding last year's already-written tags in the box for re-use as well.

Slantaholic wrote:Why cannot the phone generation understand how to switch it off, yet cannot operate video recorders like my generation were supposed to tamper with? It appears to be entertainment devices that stimulate them, not machines and not backs and plugs of electronic furniture. I love rooting around the back of my TV and computer. There's so many wires these days, yet I cannot rummage around and remove someone else's SD card with someone else's panic attack as to where the photos and vids went.

That sounds like a perfect way to get their attention... disconnect things! :twisted: If it all stays disconnected for a few days, they might learn how to deal with plugs. It's all this wifi, they don't know that it's still wires that make it all work.
=Tamar

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Am cream crackered today. Had to get up at 5.30 am yesterday to go to the hospital with the housemate whose bariatric surgery was booked for 7.30am (is a 90+ mile round trip to Truro from ours). Of course the surgery reception was about half a mile from the car park so I was hobbling even before we got to the waiting lounge but we saw all the surgical staff in plenty of time and by 9am we were in the waiting area (the corridor actually :roll: ) having been told Pete was #2 on the list (prophetic now... :evil: ). Still there at 10.30 along with #1 person on the surgical list who'd been sitting there with us in his theatre robe, dressing gown and slippers for all that time...

Because the dogs had been home alone since 6 I went back then. As soon as I got onto the A30 outside Truro a police car steams past us up the hill and when we get around the corner he's straddled across the road and was closing it so I had to divert to the Newquay back roads which aren't so quick and didn't get home until half twelve. :roll:

Just after one Pete calls to say they're both still waiting so take the dogs out for a nice long walkies and he'll call back later. So I do that and get back just after 3. Voicemail waiting to say he's calling back as he needs to speak to me.15 mins later I'm back in the car to Truro to bring him home because his booked hospital bed's been nicked by someone who's in more need than him of it and the surgical team decided it was best to postpone - until 2014... Image

I hit Truro bang on rush hour - spend nearly 30 mins in a P/T traffic light/roundabout queue about 500 yards from the hospital car park so it's about dark by the time I pick him up. All this in Pete's car which I hate driving... Image

Changed my mind and post this in here instead of the How are you? thread :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Gods, how annoying.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:58 pm

what was their excuse for not doing #1? Had his bed been stolen as well? Or taken by private patients maybe. :evil:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 pm

That's bloody annoying, not to mention costly Jan. :o
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:32 pm

get in touch with your mp jan, it worked for me
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

It just happens sometimes and because it was a gastric bypass it's seen as semi-elective in that it's not urgent so anything that's emergency or more serious will take priority. His bed was booked for the high dependency ward because he uses a CPAP machine and therefore needs more after-care because of anaesthetic/respiratory issues. As the guy we were told was #1 in the queue (in for a cancer biopsy) was also put back and had to wait until after lunch we're assuming there was a more pressing emergency case on the wards that took Pete's bed, or someone else was brought into casualty needing surgery/intensive care? :?

They offered to do the surgery and put Pete in a 'normal' post op ward bed but he didn't fancy having less experienced staff at hand for the overnight (Treliske hasn't got a great nursing care rep). Having spent nearly 6 hours waiting in a corridor and then another 2 in a side office with this other chap who was half naked ready to be 'prepped' for theatre, he didn't want to take a care downgrade as well. :roll:

He's going to put in a complaint about the waiting around part of it, but they'd been pretty upfront about the chance of surgical postponement throughout so, aside from having to go & collect him earlier than expected the only real hardship for him was that he'd been on a 2 week yogurt diet (to reduce the size of his liver) for nothing. Even that had a silver lining as he'd dropped over 4 kilos on that... :P He ought to be top of the list for the next phase of ops so hopefully he'll get another date early in the New Year. And he gets to have proper Xmas food instead of thin soup! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Tamar wrote:
I have fond memories of being 15 and ironing the carefully-saved Christmas paper and ribbons flat to be used yet again, and sometimes finding last year's already-written tags in the box for re-use as well.

Oh my, Tamar! Thank you for replying.
I know someone who also irons the Christmas paper for reuse, and she likes to wind the ribbons around her fingers, also. Her and her partner also like to have a small ritual of screwing up pristine sheets of newspaper around chestnuts and like throwing them onto the open fire.

No decorations, no traditions, no gifts, no songs, no special dinner.

I, I can't cook very well, myself. It's mostly this, um, family restaurant carvery I have planned with a couple of free offers if someone eats the free sundae icecream.
You appear to be a good guesser - as I can't sing, and once I had to squawk my way through Silent Night, so I'm exempt from singing, therefore, no songs.
I do have decorations, mostly tinsel. And online shopping is a boon. Such a pity I'm distracted by all the offers.

It's all this wifi, they don't know that it's still wires that make it all work.

Oh sure. I'm the wireless connector in my family, not the plumber, nor the bed-maker, nor the early maid to wake up this dreadful teenager.
Slantaholic

Postby Slantaholic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
he uses a CPAP machine and therefore

I read that as CR*P machine.

Oh dear. I do hope you notice hospital waiting times are like this in many countries, especially in mine. *cough* NHS *cough* which I love dearly!

I hope your Pete gets better and weller soon.
Slantaholic

Postby Catch-up » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

What an awful, frustrating day that must have been for both of you Jan. :( Even understanding why the setbacks happened didn't change the fact that you were both probably exhausted from the whole experience. I think it was very smart of Pete to pass on the downgraded room!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:54 pm

I hope they are able to reschedule soon Jan. I always think the hanging around and waiting to be the worst thing about hospitals and treatment.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby wicked woman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Jan, sympathy to you and Pete.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Ghost » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Waxing is not a cure for lycanthropy
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum