Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Really sorry Chilli! That's awful. I hope your Village is able to fight it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Build the houses and think of all the asylum of the Daleks you will have as neighbors, but they won't be Daleks. :evil:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chillicamper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:42 am

Catch-up wrote:Really sorry Chilli! That's awful. I hope your Village is able to fight it.

We are trying to fight each development, but each one is being built by a different developer. The planning law has changed recently and it's left some massive loopholes. Developers are falling over themselves to get permission on pieces of land that were previously untouchable. The weight given to public/neighbours opinions at the planning decision meetings seems to be very small so its an uphill struggle.

The Government is pushing for more home to be built across the UK, the trouble is, no developer wants to build small starter homes as they are not as profitable as the large 5 bed ones - especially in this part of the country......our council has allocated 175 new homes to be built in our village up until 2018. The list of applications for homes in the first year is over 250! :shock:

The village that I know and love is disappearing fast already. Along one particular road the number of houses have increased from 60 to 180 since 2005. :shock: :(

We will continue to fight, but realistically we know we can't stop it all.
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:14 pm

So you're stuck fighting one new battle after the other. :( Would creating a petition aimed at changing the laws from a higher level help? If you could word it asking the government to give all villages more say, you should be able to get people all over the country signing it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 pm

I really hope you and the villagers can fight this Chilli. I'm only guessing but would the Countryside Alliance be of any use to you? :think:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:57 am

Hope you get your glasses sorted soon.

Chili, that sounds like a shedload of new homes in your vicinity. Aren't there some nearly extinct species around that could help keeping the green fields green fields?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby chillicamper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:46 am

Penfold wrote:I really hope you and the villagers can fight this Chilli. I'm only guessing but would the Countryside Alliance be of any use to you? :think:

I hadn't thought of them.....good call Penners......might be worth a call and an email. I have made contact with CPRE - Campaign to Protect Rural England. One of their local reps has even stood up at public meetings with the council and put forward our opinions about excessive development......but the new National Planning Policy Framework that the Government has introduced seems to be giving developers the opportunity to concrete over green field so long as they can meet some relatively weak targets to show it is sustainable. :roll:

ChristianBecker wrote:Chili, that sounds like a shedload of new homes in your vicinity. Aren't there some nearly extinct species around that could help keeping the green fields green fields?

I wish it was that simple Christian. I've been researching this with a couple of other villagers. It seems our wildlike protection laws are also made of loopholes. There is a relatively small list of specicies where the law demands that their surrounding habitat is protected. Most 'protected species' are only protected to stop developers actually killing them. So long as they are moved from site in the correct manner or 'corridors' of grass are left through the development to allow them to move to neighbouring sites themselves, there's not much you can do. We have bats, adders and a few other different species on the sites, but none of these will prevent building.

A number of us have also been badgering the local MP. He can't stop the development, that's down to the local council. But we have been telling him that his government has cocked up the planning laws badly. We have got to the point that he has now raised our corncerns in a debate on planning law in Parliament. But the wheels of government move so slowly (if at all) and it could take years to ever get these laws changed - which will be too late for our village.

You can probably tell how wound up I am by this :lol: :lol: If the bulldozers move in, I am fully intending to be chained to them if I have to.......and I'll make sure we have some press in attendance if if comes to that :lol:
chillicamper

Postby Watchman44 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:13 am

chillicamper wrote: If the bulldozers move in, I am fully intending to be chained to them if I have to.......and I'll make sure we have some press in attendance if if comes to that :lol:

Like Arthur Dent against Mr Prosser? in a contest between Jose and a cat D9 my money is on Jose!
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby chillicamper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 am

Hadn't thought about the Arthur Dent thing.....do you thing I should wear a dressing gown? I will of course be keeping a towel with me at al times :lol:

And Jose is going nowhere near a bulldozer! :shock: he's far too important!......Whereas my bodywork is getting a bit ropey and so is nowhere near as precious ;) :lol:
chillicamper

Postby Penfold » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Actually, the dressing gown and towel thing might not be a bad idea. It would certainly attract much needed publicity for your cause. :D

Also, have you, or anyone else, done any background checks into the developers with regards to previous jobs? You never know, you might be able to dig up a bit of dirt on them (shoddy work, poor drainage, etc. anything that might be used to tarnish reputations). :think:
Penfold

Postby chillicamper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Penfold wrote:Also, have you, or anyone else, done any background checks into the developers with regards to previous jobs? You never know, you might be able to dig up a bit of dirt on them (shoddy work, poor drainage, etc. anything that might be used to tarnish reputations). :think:

There is already some background checks that have caused a few raised eyebrows! can't say too much at the moment. However in the scheme of things, the whole system seems a bit iffy....so not sure it's going to make a big difference.

With regards to dodgy work, that doesn't seem to cause developers any issues. They just go in to administration to avoid angry punters, then start up again under new (often similar) names. Its happened a few times round here. Someone built 3 houses near us. The quality was shocking......the houses all needed to be reroofed, chimneys rebuilt, re-painted, electrics done, and a complete new sewerage system within the first 5 years. The developer didn't want to pay for the repairs, so just closed up shop and let the NHBC guarantee pick up the costs.....then set up again and built another 6 houses 50 yards down the road under a new name. I tell you......the more I find out about property developers, the more I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit them :roll: :lol:
chillicamper

Postby Penfold » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 am

From what you say it might be worth while to check with the list of directors against the bankruptcy lists (not the correct term but I'm still several cups of coffee short of a full load) and the Trading Standards Authority. A lot of dodgy builders (and developers) have been banned from holding directorships because of them. You never know what might come up using this line of investigation. (I got this idea from watching Cowboy Builders, many of these types have records of some sort, somewhere.) :)
Penfold

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Love the way you think Penfold!

Chilli, we've had similar developments around here. You can't believe these brand new houses practically need to be redone after only a few years. And the funny thing is, so many people think buying a brand new house is better than buying an old one that's managed to stay upright for over 100 years! :?
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:29 pm

p.s. If you do end up doing the Arthur Dent thing, please, please, get pictures for us. :D
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Pictures are compulsary :D ;)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum