Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:I couldn't sing all the words to Gallifreyan Buccaneer quick enough. Christ, those Cybermen are a bit skinny at 0:24 mark. What's the one at the 0:33 mark? Medusa-head alien, looks fantastic.

Nice Dr Who clips & photos.

RE: The Cybermen. They were from the 80s. Anyway, they were pretty much all tall and skinny in most of the old series. Even so, you should have seen the Cybercontroller from the 1985 serial Attack of the Cybermen. Some fans nicknamed him (a bit cruelly) as the Fat Controller. :|

RE: Medusa. She was the real deal, for a given value of 'real'. She appeared in a story called The Mind Robber, set in a world of fiction come to life, so it's not surprising that Medusa appeared. I highly recommend The Mind Robber, it's one of the best from Patrick Troughton's era.

The song comes from an audio story called Doctor Who and the Pirates, or: The Lass that Lost a Sailor. I have it in my possession, but am yet to listen to it. I heard that it is, for the most part, funny, although it gets darker as time goes by. Even so, it has Bill Oddie as a pirate captain. They used (albeit deliberately) a clip of Peri though for a different companion's brief dialogue at the start ("Oh no, you ARE going to sing..."). Said companion is Evelyn Smythe, one of the few middle-aged companions the Doctor has ever had, and one of the audio-only companions. There's a link below for more info.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-and-the-pirates-209

We will soon return you to your regular programming.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:06 am

Thanks great. Cheers! Will check out The Mind Robber.

I've it found on the youtube. Don't have time now but have bookmarked it for later.

Thanks again!
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:53 am

I've forgotten where exactly you live, SisterJennifer, but Doctor Who: The Mind Robber is available on DVD through the Brisbane City Council Libraries, if that helps.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 am

Although you seem to be over it mostly, here's a song that always cheers me up. :D

Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby pip » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 am

Quatermass wrote:Thanks, everyone, for your support. I was just having a very bad day yesterday. Sleep helped what venting my spleen didn't. I still feel s**tty, but controllably so.

And no, raisindot, I try my best not to express such sentiments during an interview. I'm not an idiot. I know that saying such stuff during an interview would be equivalent to stripping naked and gibbering like an ape at the interviewers. :roll:

There are services that I am taking advantage of, and said services are helping me find work experience (I actually had some earlier in the year). Unfortunately, employers are mostly unwilling to allow anyone in for work experience of late, even if they do have an agency willing to cover insurance and that sort of thing. Many big franchises actually have policies (?!) against taking on people for work experience, and small businesses may not, albeit more understandably, have the capacity. Believe me, I know this from long, hard experience, and this was one of the many things that caused me to have my conniption yesterday. It's disheartening when these services can't help me get my foot in the door, because of the recalcitrance of potential employers to taking on people for work experience.

Not only that, but when positions do come up that don't require experience, they want juniors. Not someone who needs the job and is willing, but vapid, acephalic, irresponsible teenagers who come from a generation that, for the most part, may not actually be capable of spelling 'generation' without Spellcheck. Or the word 'Spellcheck', for that matter. :roll:

In short, FML. :lol:

On getting experience it can be odd sometimes. I know a few engineers who worked for big agencies here for free and got taken on after a few months of this .
On the other hand I was looking to take on an intern for four months and couldn't get any one for it despite offering a reasonable pay for the time and a pretty high profile set of projects for the CV.
Three guys who applied and hadn't worked for a year and a bit since qualifying said they'd rather hold out for something permanent. :roll: Personally if I knew someone had turned down a decent internship with good experience and they had not gotten any work experience I wouldn't hire them. We eventually hired an undergrad with little training but they've now gotten great experience and we'll probably hire them in a year full time when we've new projects starting
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:28 am

Look, I'd love to do work experience if there was the near-guarantee of permanent work. Hell, I'd do it without said guarantee, if only because each bit of work experience bolsters my resume. The opportunities aren't turning up, unfortunately.

As I said, I'm over my little conniption now. Sometimes, I just need to vent. As we all do sometimes.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

Good to have a good rant and this is a good place to do it.
What type of job are you looking for. Is there opportunity abroad in the short term. A few friends are earning crazy money in the Middle east and others are getting a good run in Canada.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

pip wrote:Good to have a good rant and this is a good place to do it.
What type of job are you looking for. Is there opportunity abroad in the short term. A few friends are earning crazy money in the Middle east and others are getting a good run in Canada.

I have Asperger's Syndrome. I need a comfort zone. I'm willing to go as far abroad as public transport will allow. So no.

Most of my desired jobs are either in retail (in areas that I'm interested in) or academia. The former is where I am concentrating asking for work experience or canvassing resumes, while the latter, I go onto job websites and use appropriate search terms.

Unfortunately, many of the academic jobs in health have annoying restrictions. I have trypanophobia, or in less fancy terms, an extreme fear of needles. So imagine when I find out during an interview at a medical laboratory that regular testing for hepatitis is required. :o Just the thought of phelobotomy is enough to bring me into a cold sweat. :shock: I was actually crying after the interview because I realised that wiped out a lot of my desired jobs at a single stroke.

Even leaving that aside, I'm crap at histology, I'm crap at DNA profiling techniques (more to bad fine motor skills than anything else), and I have no experience with chromatography.

My biggest strength is in bioinformatics, research, and statistical analysis. And I have gotten short-term work in these areas. I just haven't gotten longer term work. My stats skills are rusty, but give me some time in the saddle, and I'll regain them.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I hope something comes up. Sadly sometimes its just a patience game.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:11 pm

If patience is a virtue...well, I'm far from virtuous. :lol:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 pm

I wouldn't dare insult you by thinking you are :lol:
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Glad you're feeling better Q. Hang in there! Keep trying and something will work out.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:08 am

If you like bioinformatics Q, a qualification might help you more than experience (since you gain the experience while doing the qualification). I looked into it a few years ago, when there were a lot of opportunities in the UK because there weren't many trained bioinformaticians. Do you know what the situation is in Aus?

The University of Queensland is advertising this
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 pm

I have a Master's Degree in Medical Research. And my thesis was basically nothing but bioinformatics.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dotsie. I probably would have found that on Saturday, when I do my weekly trawl through the job websites, but thanks all the same. Can't apply for it, though, as the position states that they want someone who can program, and I can't do that.

The candidate will develop algorithms to detect a comprehensive set of mutations in MDS and AML, an analysis that will require the use of high performance computing and programming in R and Perl.

There's a position elsewhere via another employer that I've noticed that seems promising. Experience in another area is well-regarded, but they seem to want someone willing to learn new techniques... :think:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby janet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:10 am

Q, a couple of years ago my brother moved to a post as senior lecturer in medical research. He's 60 this year. He does not have a medical degree....in fact his background is in Engineering and Nanotechnology.......but he rose to the challenge.
The human mind is always capable of absorbing more knowledge. The answer to the question should never be 'I don't know' but 'I don't know BUT I will find out'. Why not give a go to 'I can't do it now but I sure as hell will learn how' ?
Just a thought Q, and you can call me anything you like my skin is mutilayered.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum