Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby wicked woman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 pm

Glad thing 2's ok. :D
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Penfold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Happy that Thing 2 is ok. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby janet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 am

Glad Thing 2 is OK :D The gutter press were whipping up panic about vaccinations when my daughter was a baby. She still had the lot, appeared to have no ill effects and survived!
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby chillicamper » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:41 am

Glad to hear Thing 2 is OK. There have been a few measles cases around recently due to people not getting their kids vaccinated. My mum has a friend in Kenya who is blind because of the effects of measles when he was 3 years old. Why do people risk it?
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby wicked woman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:05 am

chillicamper wrote:Glad to hear Thing 2 is OK. There have been a few measles cases around recently due to people not getting their kids vaccinated. My mum has a friend in Kenya who is blind because of the effects of measles when he was 3 years old. Why do people risk it?

People dismiss these as "childhood illnesses" and forget how devastating they were before we had vaccines. Sadly it's often supposedly educated, well informed people who do that. :(
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:30 am

Very true. Andrew Wakefield committed fraud by what he said about the MMR vaccine, he was just trying to make money - he was being paid by litigators to find a link between the vaccine and autism, which he didn't manage to do. This must have upset him because he'd already taken out a patent for three single vaccines. So he called a press conference and said that there was a link and encouraged the use of single vaccines so that parents would insist on having them. But they're not available on the NHS, so many children just went without.

The man should have gone to prison for what he did, striking him off wasn't suficient punishment.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 am

Dotsie wrote:Very true. Andrew Wakefield committed fraud by what he said about the MMR vaccine, he was just trying to make money - he was being paid by litigators to find a link between the vaccine and autism, which he didn't manage to do. This must have upset him because he'd already taken out a patent for three single vaccines. So he called a press conference and said that there was a link and encouraged the use of single vaccines so that parents would insist on having them. But they're not available on the NHS, so many children just went without.

The man should have gone to prison for what he did, striking him off wasn't suficient punishment.

Agreed. This is one of my many pet frustrations. I'm sorry to use strong language here, but anti-vaccine people are pants-on-head retarded. And one of the most abhorrent breed of anti-vaccine-tard are the ones who keep on saying that there's a [EFF!]ing link between autism and vaccines!!! Having Asperger's Syndrome, I get immensely frustrated at this spurious link, especially as vaccines seem to solve more problems than they create!!! YEARRGHBLE!! :angry-screaming: :angry-banghead:
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 am

Unfortunately the media presents what it calls 'a balanced view', i.e. opinions for and against, without thinking to mention that there is no against that holds water. This is at best, sometimes it's just the 'vaccine controversy', made controversial by them! So the general public, having no access to scientific journals, doesn't necessarily know that there is a wealth of data refuting the Wakefield claims (and I say claims, not findings).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks everyone! :D I'm so glad she doesn't have it. Not one single cough since.

I agree with everything above. People have no idea how devastating these diseases can be. There were actually stories of parents over here having chicken pox and measles parties so that the children could infect each other and be "naturally" vaccinated, like "mother nature" intended. :shock: Idiots!! It's a combination of the vaccine scare mongering - and no amount of facts will sway these people's belief, they're zealots - and this bizarre idea that having the disease is better than being vaccinated against it.

I could go on, but my diplomacy would devolve.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby wicked woman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:33 pm

I sometimes hear of chicken pox parties over here because it's a milder illness if you get it as a child, and then you won't get again. :twisted: It lives in the body and could re-appear as shingles if ever the patient gets badly run down. But like Catch-up says, you can't tell some people.
wicked woman

Postby Penfold » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't think they do them these days but my mum attended these 'parties' when she was a child, although she never caught measles.

The only 'childhood' disease that I had was mumps and I get really nervous around parents whose children have chicken pox or one of the others (I have no idea if I can catch it from them or even whether they can carry the virus).
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:46 pm

Penfold wrote:I don't think they do them these days but my mum attended these 'parties' when she was a child, although she never caught measles.

The only 'childhood' disease that I had was mumps and I get really nervous around parents whose children have chicken pox or one of the others (I have no idea if I can catch it from them or even whether they can carry the virus).

Chicken pox is considered highly infectious, so avoiding the children at least is a good idea. As to the parents, well, I don't know. Dotsie?
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:47 am

If you're not vaccinated I'd stay away from parents that have kids with chicken pox, for sure.

You can be vaccinated at any age.

Dotsie will have the answers though.

It's beyond understanding why some parents don't vaccinate their kids.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby janet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:19 am

I didn't know there was a vaccine for chicken pox. I've had it three times...as a small child, at college and in my early 30s (2nd and 3rd times both diagnosed by a GP and milder bouts than when I was a child)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

janet wrote:I didn't know there was a vaccine for chicken pox. I've had it three times...as a small child, at college and in my early 30s (2nd and 3rd times both diagnosed by a GP and milder bouts than when I was a child)

Really? I didn't know you get chicken pox (the non-Shingles version) again once you had it.

As for the vaccine, it's relatively new, here in the States. Both my kids had to have it or they wouldn't be let into public schools. The problem with it is that it's so new that no one really knows how long it lasts or whether boosters are needed. And since young people are notoriously bad at seeing doctors I predict here and now that within a decade or so there are going to be mass outbreaks of chicken pox among people in their 20s and early 30s who haven't gone for boosters.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum