Frustration Thread 4

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 4

Postby janet » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 pm

That's OK then :D Our shower has been like that for ages. Saves you having to stand on your head when you need to wash your er......feet :lol:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:38 am

So. On Friday we got a letter home from Thing 2's school saying that whooping cough is going around. Today she starts coughing. No choice but to keep her home and get her into the doctor tomorrow. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 am

Hope she's OK Catch-up :( Is the pertussis vaccine not routinely given in the US? Fingers crossed it's just a cough.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:32 am

I'm allergic to that vaccine, believe it or not.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby wicked woman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 am

@ Catch Up. Hope she's ok.
@ Quatermass. How did you find out? Having a reaction can be nasty.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Quatermass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:31 am

wicked woman wrote:@ Catch Up. Hope she's ok.
@ Quatermass. How did you find out? Having a reaction can be nasty.

It was when I was an infant and getting the vaccine for the first time. It's my only known major allergy. :|
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

Dotsie wrote:Hope she's OK Catch-up :( Is the pertussis vaccine not routinely given in the US? Fingers crossed it's just a cough.

It is routinely given, and she's had her full round, but I guess it's still possible to get it. There is also a grossly misinformed subculture of anti-vaccine parents in this country. I don't know how prevalent it is around here, I don't know anyone personally. But, I guess if you have a certain amount of the population that's not vaccinated, that somehow makes it more likely that the vaccinated people can still get the disease. I don't quite understand how that works - maybe because it helps keep it circulating? As a result, whooping cough has been a big problem the last few years. Fingers crossed she doesn't have it!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am

Fingers crossed here, too, but if she does get it, hopefully the previous jab will make help keep it down to a minimum?

(I know nothing of such things).
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that the vaccination will save her from getting it. This had almost been eradicated because of the vaccine and it is ignorance and media reports whipping up fears that has created the ability for the disease to return. We are having similar problems over her because of it.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm pretty sure that the vaccination will save her from getting it. This had almost been eradicated because of the vaccine and it is ignorance and media reports whipping up fears that has created the ability for the disease to return. We are having similar problems over her because of it.

Yet when I worked as a gardener, and used animal manures, I had to fight to get my 10 year tetanus booster. I was told "We don't do that any more." I had to keep quoting the leaflet I'd picked up in the surgery which said people who are likely to be exposed to tetanus should still get the vaccine.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Spoke to the nurse this morning who confirmed that she's all up to date on her vaccinations. She said that it's extremely unlikely she'll get it. Yay! She's still home for the day, haven't heard even one little cough out of her so far.

WW, that's so wrong. You certainly should be able to get your tetanus shot. Here they make sure you get them whether you're at risk or not. Last time I was in they offered it to me early because it had been combined with another vaccination. I passed because they hurt like hell. :oops:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Excellent news Susanne! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Not the hurting like hell part :oops:
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm

:lol: Well, since I successfully chickened out, I count that as excellent.
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Good news Thing2's OK! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum