Welcome and Introduce Yourself 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Welcome and Introduce Yourself 5

Postby RolandItwasntmyfault » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:57 am

Welcome to the forum, Mr Gravier.

Very cool cards, indeed. 8-)
"A thousand elephants!" (Moving Pictures)
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." (Hogfather)
RolandItwasntmyfault

Postby MrGravier » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:16 am

thank you :)
MrGravier

Postby Catch-up » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Welcome all you new people! :D

Love the cards Mr. Gravier.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby meerkat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi MrGravier. Love the Avatar! :D
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tenneba » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Hello!

I am a rabid Pratchett fan from the US who got to get in before the wave hit here because I had UK and Canadian friends who introduced us, to our eternal gratitude. I hope you won't think it rude, having only just met, but I have a huge favor to ask of you.

I am writing my Master's Thesis on Terry Pratchett. In the course of my research, I found a bit where he was complaining that the UK media always just kind of laughed off his new books, mostly without even reading them, but that he had gotten some legitimate reviews from the US. Does anyone have a clue where I might have seen that? Because two full days of research has not turned it up, and I don't even know if it would have been in a book or online. If you know, please let me know, because I am dying a slow death. It did not seem germane when I first saw it; now it is vital, of course.

Though I am in the last weeks of this paper, I not only still love Pratchett's work, I have an even greater respect for what he does. Watching my fellow Master's students, I can tell you this is a decided anomaly--many of the students never want to hear their author's name again!

Thanks!

Tenneba
:pray:
Tenneba

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 am

Welcome to the forum Tennebe, sorry I cannot help though, was it in something published in the US because it doesn't ring any bells with me?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby meerkat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 am

Hi Tenneba, welcome to the mad house! :D ;)
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am

Hi there Tenneba - enjoy exploring the forum :D

Re your quote - I've not heard that snippet from Terry but then it was likely it wouldn't have received that much notice on this side of the pond (although Jason our admin might know something with his journalistic hat on... :| ). I do know that Terry's given a fair number of interviews on radio shows in the US when he's been there for various tours or conventions so that might worth looking at in archives rather than newspapers? Also, perhaps it may have been while he was visiting in Madison doing research for The Long Earth as that (not being taken seriously with the later Discworld books) might have been one of the reasons for him saying he wanted to do something different and so revived his High Meggers idea with Stephen Baxter?

Always got to think a bit laterally with Terry - especially when he's promoting something! ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

You might have some luck if you contact Terry's agent, Colin Smythe. If he can't answer your question, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the site! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Tenneba, welcome to the forum I've read something similar to that about what critics have said in the past, maybe to do with the Booker or other mainstream literary awards.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tenneba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Thank you, everyone, for making me feel welcome. :D

Tonyblack wrote:You might have some luck if you contact Terry's agent, Colin Smythe. If he can't answer your question, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the site! :D

I sent Mr. Smythe an email first, as he has been very helpful in the past, but no response this time. He may have finally gotten tired of dealing with me--he has been SO sweet and helpful!

Jan Van Quirm, thank you for your advice. It was just a couple of sentences buried in a piece about something else, so it is very hard to find. I only know that it was text, not audio, though it could certainly have been a transcript of an interview (likely, even). I found it originally while doing research either on Google or through the GSU library search engine. Such a needle in a haystack!

That said, if anyone wanted to share an "Aha!" moment from Discworld...something that really made you sit up and take notice of something within yourself or your fellow man, I would love to hear it. I love when Tiffany wants EVIDENCE that witches are wicked, and notes that while the fairy stories are not real, what happens because of them is; I also just about got shivers from the dragon pointing out that what he is is the direct result of the evil in the human mind.
Tenneba

Postby Tenneba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Hi Tenneba, welcome to the forum I've read something similar to that about what critics have said in the past, maybe to do with the Booker or other mainstream literary awards.

Thanks for the tip! I will try that! I am ready to pay a finders fee!
Tenneba

Postby Tenneba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Oh, Who's Wee Dug, thank you so much! You were right; it was an award. The Carnegie Award. Two minutes, tops, to find it. Oh, my gosh, thank you! Now, on with the show! (I wanted this draft done yesterday...with luck, I will have it done tomorrow!)
Tenneba

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Yay! Success. Good luck with the thesis. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 pm

You're welcome Tenneba I hope you get it done on time. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum