RIP Andy Williams

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

RIP Andy Williams

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Singer Andy Williams has died at his home in Branson, Missouri, after a year-long battle with bladder cancer, aged 84.

He was best known for his recording of Moon River, the Oscar-winning song featured in the film Breakfast at Tiffany's.

In 1962 he started The Andy Williams Show, which went on to win three Emmys.

Since the 1990s he ran the Andy Williams Moon River Theater in his home town.

The singer was one of the most enduring stars of the 1960s and '70s whose easy style and mellow voice led President Ronald Reagan to call him "a national treasure".

A new generation discovered Williams' music when Music to Watch Girls Go By made the Top 10 in 1999 after being used in an advert.

Andy Williams, pictured in 2009 Williams started singing professionally with his three brothers

He described Moon River as his "signature song" which had a "wonderful" melody and "timeless" lyrics.

"I never tried to sing like anybody else, fortunately I didn't sound like anybody else. It just happened," said Williams.

"I was very lucky that I had a voice that sounded different to almost anybody else's and it's recognisable."

Williams died on Tuesday night and is survived by his wife, Debbie, and his three children, Robert, Noelle and Christian.

Howard Andrew Williams was born in Iowa and started singing professionally with his three brothers as the Williams Brothers Quartet.

They worked in night clubs and on radio and backed Bing Crosby on his number one record Swinging on a Star in 1944.

Williams' TV show made him an international star and launched a recording career that spawned such hits as Butterfly, Love Story, Can't Get Used to Losing You and Almost There.

He became a major star in the same year as Elvis in 1956 and was well loved in the 60s.

"The old cliche says that if you can remember the 1960s, you weren't there," said Williams.

"Well, I was there all right, but my memory of them is blurred - not by any drugs I took but by the relentless pace of the schedule I set myself."

In 1962 he married Claudine Longet, a French actress and singer, with whom he had three children before their divorce in 1975.

Williams revealed in November 2011 he had been diagnosed with bladder cancer but said he planned to continue performing at his own theatre.

He said at the time that bladder cancer was "no longer a death sentence" and that "people with cancer are getting through this thing".

"They're kicking it, and they're winning more and more every year. And I'm going to be one of them," he went on.

Williams left hospital in July to spend his final days at home with his family.

In lieu of flowers, his family has asked that donations be made to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: RIP Andy Williams

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

RIP Andy. I used to love your show when I was a kid - especially the Cookie Bear. :(
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

RIP ANDY . Saw him once live and he was great.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:54 pm

RIP :(
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:55 pm

RIP Andy - the Cookie Bear was awesome!
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby majomull » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I can remember him being a guest star on almost any sit-com in the 70's.
The Love Boat wouldn't have been the same without him.
Whiskey is sunlight held together with water.
majomull

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm

RIP. :(
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby janet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:28 pm

RIP Andy.
Am I having a complete memory storm or was it really the Andy Williams Show that introduced the Osmond family to the world?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Moon River.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Yep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19729630

Williams' TV show made him an international star and launched a recording career that spawned such hits as Butterfly, Love Story, Can't Get Used to Losing You and Almost There.

The show lasted nine years and will be remembered by many for introducing the Osmond family to the world.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Hello Dolly!

Bouncy Castle

Postby janet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Oh good, memory function is OK. The Osmonds were a regular feature on Andy's show weren't they?
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby michelanCello » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I didn't know him, but it's still sad... R.I.P! :(
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 pm

janet wrote:Oh good, memory function is OK. The Osmonds were a regular feature on Andy's show weren't they?

Yup.

Lordy, I'd forgotten he sung this: Love Story (the movie) theme:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:19 pm

OK. My last post. But you gotta say that the Osmonds were sooooo cute when they were just Osms!!!

Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to The Broken Drum