Back from The Discworld Convention

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Back from The Discworld Convention

Postby SimStars13 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:19 pm

It was very nice to meet the few of you that I did meet :) And for my first convention is was Amazing :D And I look forward to the photos, considering I took very few myself...
"Martin! I thought we sold you"

DFTBA
SimStars13

Postby Dotsie » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 pm

It was great to meet you too :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Toothy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:46 pm

:D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby michelanCello » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi everyone, I'm back home, too - even though it didn't go quite according to plan :P
It all started yesterday when I found out I had forgotten my keys :doh: I have three bunch of keys, one at my teacher's, a spare one and my own. So I gave the spare one to my neighbour to feed the parrots and water the plants, that seemed OK. But then thursday night my friend and her boyfriend stayed at my place, and since I left earlier then they did, I left them the key so that they could close the door when they left. So the plan was that I'd take the extra mailbox key I have with me and my neighbour, who said she wouldn't be home when I came home, so that she wouldn't be able to give me my keys back, could drop the keys into the mailbox so that I could later pick them up with my spare mailbox key. You sill following me? OK, so yesterday we were sitting in the hotel bar and suddenly I realized with a shock that I had forgotten to take the spare mailbox key with me :roll: Panicpanic, so I called my neighbour if she's already thrown the keys into the mailbox ("Of course I did, you asked me to"), so I quickly explained the situation and it turned out that she would be home anyway (because she thought I was arriving at noon rather then midnight) and that I shouldn't worry, she'd find a way to fish the keys out of the mailbox so that I could drop by and pick them up. Problem solved...to be continued :P
So today when we were travelling back with Sjoerd it seemd all right first, apart from the fact that for some reason we couldn't change our seats, so I was sitting in 5F and Sjoerd in 31A. The plane was totally full so there was no chance in asking the people sitting next to either of us if they wanted to change place, 'cause it wouldn't have been possible without disturbing lots of others. I tried to communicate with him, but my bit of paper I gave to the person behind me ("Could you pass this on please? - What? - Could you pass this on? Please? To the back? Seat 31A, it's written on it... Thank you! :D " you should have seen the look on his face :lol: ) but it didn't reach him (people have no imagination :roll: ) Anyway, at some point we were flying over water and the pilot announced that the traffic above Amsterdam was really crowded and we would have to wait till we could land. In the end we were half an hour late, so we landed at 20:00 local time and I already had to board for my next flight to Bp at 20:20! Panicpanicpanic, but I still waited till Sjoerd got out (of course he was sitting in the very and of the plane :roll: ) because it wouldn't have been nice going away without saying goodbye, but then I ended up running like a maniac to my next gate. Before I got there though, I had to go through another security check, inclusive passport and screening, and I was so nervous I left my belt on, so it peeped of course, so they had to check me all over, which took even more time, so I was all in tears running and finally getting to my gate, which thankfully wasn't closed yet. Sigh, breathe in, breathe out.
OK, so the flight went well, and then I got to Bp, and I called a couple of people saying I'm home again, sort of, so I called my neighbour, who announced that I'd be sleeping at their place since they didn't manage to get the keys :shock: So I called my teacher, hoping that she'd already be back from Greece by now, which she was and she said no problem (note that this was already around 23:15) and I could drop by and get my keys. So I phoned my neighbour back saying all was fine. But then it turned out that it wasn't, cause my luggage didn't arrive with me. So there's me standing in the line of lost luggage, calling my aunt, who was out there waiting for me, and my teacher that I'd be arriving later... when I finally got to the lady who was dealing with these problems, it turned out that my luggage missed the plane and was still in Amsterdam. But they'd be sending it over tomorrow with the next flight, which arrives at 12:15 or something and they'd deliver it to my place, but that would be a bit later. What's more, I got a 25 Euros discount from my next KLM ticket, which is not too bad :) And then I got phoned again by my neighbour, who said they managed to somehow rescue my keys, so then I called my teacher (again...poor woman) that I wouldn't be disturbing her after all and now I'm home... without a toothbrush, mind you, but hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow. I feel a bit dizzy..hm..

Anyways, I REALLYREALLY enjoyed the Convention, I had a lovely time, I just hated that it was soooo quickly over! It was really nice meeting all of you, you are all very nice people and totally looking forward to seeing you all again in two years! :D
I won't be posting pictures because a) I'm not good at that technical stuff and b) Penners and Mad have taken LOTS of'em and they're all better I suppose so that'll be all right ;)
I wish I was back in Birmingham :(
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:32 am

Jason wrote:Lots of pictures were being taken but none by me. Didn't have my camera with me. Penfold took a lot of pictures so I am sure they will be on-line soon (once he has had time to process them all).

I took about 480 pics altogether and it will take me forever to get through them. However, here a a few to tease you with for now. ;)

Let's start with the guest of honour.
I also won the lottery to join Sir Terry for tea, coffee, and a chat with eleven others in a private room for an hour (I think he had three such sessions <correct me if I'm wrong someone> so I was 1 of 36 from 950 to receive this honour). We all started off a bit tongue-tied at first but he soon got us involved (he even laughed at my quip comparing Worthing to Glasgow for aggro on a boozy Friday night in A&E. :lol: ). By the end we were all chatting away like old friends and the meet had to be ended by one of the volunteers as they needed the room for the next meeting with one of the other guests (Stephen Briggs). Terry did not want to stop! :lol:

Here's a few from 'Strangely Fascinating' which was very highly received. Terry was dining in the room next to where it was held and wanted to know what all the frivolity about (people were laughing so much they could be heard over the hubbub of dinner). I will let Jan tell the story when she gets back here but I will say that Jason was fantastic. :D

Some of the SF Crew. (mC, Sjoerd, Louisa (Kin Arad), and Dotsie.)

Two Shot Tino who was excellent doing the images and sound during the show.

Stephen Briggs plotting the untimely demise of a pushy photographer.

Stephen Briggs and Pat Harkin share a joke (it's very hard not to share a joke when Pat's about).

Our admin, Jason. Despite appearances, there was nothing wrong with him other than trying some dodgy insurance scam. ;) (Definitely just joking here, there was no room at the table and it was the only available place to sit)

Time for another pic of Terry, this time with Rob. This was taken just after they had made the announcements for 'The Watch', 'Good Omens', and their production company 'Narrativia'. Terry got distracted (presumably by corsets) just as I took the shot. :lol: (Did I mention I had coffee with him.)

Here's one of Colin Smythe taken in the games room where Jan had her Cripple Mister Onion card school and a few board games were being played. He does look a bit stern in the photo but he's really a very nice gentleman (and he didn't charge me 10%).

This was taken at the banquet. Reading left to right are; The Mad Collector, Jan, Dotsie, Sjoerd, and mC.

Another at the banquet; this time Jan, Toothy, and Mad.

After the Watch, Jan presented Terry with a set of Cripple Mister Onion cards which was well received. (I'll let Jan tell you about this). I know I mentioned having coffee with Terry, but this time I managed to have a one on one chat with him about his carnivorous plants. :mrgreen:

And finally for now; Mad took us to the Griffin pub for a few drinkies. THANK YOU MAD, it's a great pub! :D

That's all I have for now since I was late getting back home. I will post the rest as soon as I can sort through them. :D

Edited to correct name.
Last edited by Penfold on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:16 am

Penfold wrote:Some of the SF Crew. (mC, Sjoerd, Louise? <help me Jan>, and Dotsie.)

As you may tell from the time of posting this I'm still seriously 'convention-lagged' (as opposed to the jet variety of lagging :roll: ). That is indeed Louise aka Kin Arad who I didn't get to thank enough personally for her help with the question setting and putting up the banners and other stuff for Strangely Fascinating and lending a hand in the Dice Box on Saturday throughout the day - so thanks again Kin Image

More from me later after I've been back to bed for another sleep ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:24 am

Wow, all the happy faces. Great pics of the man Himself. Am very jealous. :mrgreen: .
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:18 am

Fantastic pics Penners :D
Last edited by Dotsie on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 am

Love the photos! :D

Usually with convention photos that people post, I find it difficult to work out what is going on or who is in the photos, so the commentary is excellent. :lol:

mC, I feel your pain. The times I've had to sprint across very large airports to barely catch a connection!!! But your story wore me out, I can only imagine how you felt.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:24 am

Oops, forgot to say, what a nightmare mC! :shock: Glad you finally got into your house, must have been very stressful.
Dotsie

Postby Jason » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:39 am

Glad you made it home safely mC. Sometimes I forget how easy it is for us. Two hours down the road and I was home. No mad dashes across airports. No worrying about if we would be able to get back into the house.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Toothy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your stressful journey home, mC. :( What a relief that you made it home. Has your luggage arrived now? *crosses fingers* :)

Excellent photos, Penners. :D Caught me with my eyes shut - my standard pose, I'm afraid, as everyone who's ever taken my picture will tell you. I think it's something to do with wossname. Quantum. ;)

You mean to say that Kin was there in the Dice Box and I didn't meet her when I dropped in?! Nooooooo! :( Well, we'll all just have to go back in 2014 to remedy that then. And the same goes for anyone else I missed. :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 am

Glad you finally got home OK Mc. I have finally identified 200 usable shots from convention and put names to pictures as much as I can along with what event the pictures were taken at if appropriate. They will be here soon but right now I have a shop I need to go and run
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 am

Well really. Some people. Thinking that a shop takes precedence over Con photos.

:snooty:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum