The 2012 International Sweetie Exchange

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The 2012 International Sweetie Exchange

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:53 pm

MerlinPowered wrote:So we just pick people at random? I guess SisJen and Aunty are out, unless either of you want to swap some Australia Post delivered Redskins, Caramello Koalas or Freddo Frogs? :)

Yes, just choose who you want to exchange with from the list and contact them. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby janet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I love mushrooms (and Marmite). ;)

That's why you're so clever Tony ;)
@Mad, not often I'm castigated on a point of grammar :P
This thread rocks!
I'll be shopping for local confectionary at our village show tomorrow and this will be a novelty as i usually walk past all that kind of thing whilst looking the other way :whistle: :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby janet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:06 pm

jtrhoades wrote:Vegetarians need to since B12 is mostly found in animal products.
Dairy is sufficient if you aren't vegan, particularly yogurt.
But, if you're a vegan, Marmite and Mushrooms are your best bet.
They don't have a ton though, Marmite you'd have to eat at least once a week, mushrooms every 2-5 days depending on which study you look at.

If you're a piscatarian(vegetarian except fish) you're fine because fish has tons of the stuff.

Personally, I'd say if you're vegetarian for health reasons, you should just eat some fish once a month or so and it'll be enough.
If it's for moral reasons, I hope you like mushrooms :P

That is THE most intelligent interpretation of the B12/vegetarian dilemma I've ever read.
A couple of years ago I found myself craving for fish in spite of the fact that I'd never really liked it (or meat) before becoming vegetarian. Agonised with guilt but the day I gave in was a revelation. I'd had a few health problems and i think my body was just telling me what it needed so moral considerations had to be rethought. No cravings now but I do eat and enjoy fish occasionally along with the Marmite and mushrooms :D
When I said I was vegetarian it was easier than saying I was piscatarian.
I still do not knowingly consume the products of animal slaughter although I am well aware of every single argument against my dietary choices so anyone wishing to argue will be on a hiding to nothing :hand:
janet

Postby Sister Jennifer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 pm

MerlinPowered wrote:So we just pick people at random? I guess SisJen and Aunty are out, unless either of you want to swap some Australia Post delivered Redskins, Caramello Koalas or Freddo Frogs? :)

How about postcards? Tasty on a summer day. Just kidding, you know what I mean ;) .
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:32 am

janet wrote:
jtrhoades wrote:Vegetarians need to since B12 is mostly found in animal products.
Dairy is sufficient if you aren't vegan, particularly yogurt.
But, if you're a vegan, Marmite and Mushrooms are your best bet.
They don't have a ton though, Marmite you'd have to eat at least once a week, mushrooms every 2-5 days depending on which study you look at.

If you're a piscatarian(vegetarian except fish) you're fine because fish has tons of the stuff.

Personally, I'd say if you're vegetarian for health reasons, you should just eat some fish once a month or so and it'll be enough.
If it's for moral reasons, I hope you like mushrooms :P

That is THE most intelligent interpretation of the B12/vegetarian dilemma I've ever read.
A couple of years ago I found myself craving for fish in spite of the fact that I'd never really liked it (or meat) before becoming vegetarian. Agonised with guilt but the day I gave in was a revelation. I'd had a few health problems and i think my body was just telling me what it needed so moral considerations had to be rethought. No cravings now but I do eat and enjoy fish occasionally along with the Marmite and mushrooms :D
When I said I was vegetarian it was easier than saying I was piscatarian.
I still do not knowingly consume the products of animal slaughter although I am well aware of every single argument against my dietary choices so anyone wishing to argue will be on a hiding to nothing :hand:

Thanks.
I like to keep up to date on health trends so that when someone I know makes a dietary decision for "health reasons" I know what's going on.
If it's a moral thing, I don't bother arguing, mostly because I respect personal moral choices.
Only exception, when they try to tell me I'm wrong for not choosing the same :)
jtrhoades

Postby janet » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:44 am

:D How very dare they? :roll:
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:50 am

Yeah, I know that sort of person. I never push my views on others. It's my choice arrived at by my own reasoning. Other people can make their own mind up. ;)
Tonyblack

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:21 am

I don't generally get offended by it, but I will explain to them why I think being an omnivore is better than a vegetarian.
My argument is something typically along the lines of "Bacon is delicious".
jtrhoades

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I discovered at convention that a vegetarian sausage wrapped in bacon was really good. :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Was it stuffed with cheese and deep fried?

Also, anything wrapped in bacon is good.
Scallops, chicken, Filet Mignon, water chestnuts, stuffed jalapenos, shrimp, asparagus, dates, chocolate cake, apricots, lamb, meatloaf, mushrooms, olives, onions, oysters, quail, various sausages...
All these are regularly searched recipes, and the best thing is, you can make up your own too :D
jtrhoades

Postby AuntyVague » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 am

Ohhh redskins remind me of summers at the local pool growing up, always had some after a swim! Haven't had one in years...actually now that I think about it they'd probably pull all my teeth out these days :roll:

I'm happy to exchange within Oz or internationally...could probably put the thinking cap on and come up with something other than Cadburys, but may not be able to get it right away.
AuntyVague

Postby Bouncy Castle » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 am

OK. I've bought 3 packs of sweet/sour jelly-type sweets from ebay, and they're VEGAN, or so they were sold.

I'm up for sending these anywhere, if required, but please bear in mind that I'm in the West Country with The Mother at the moment, and won't be back at work proper until Tuesday 11th.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:42 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:OK. I've bought 3 packs of sweet/sour jelly-type sweets from ebay, and they're VEGAN, or so they were sold.

I'm up for sending these anywhere, if required, but please bear in mind that I'm in the West Country with The Mother at the moment, and won't be back at work proper until Tuesday 11th.

Nice to see you here on the weekend, Bouncy! :D
Tonyblack

Postby jtrhoades » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 pm

You guys get Jelly Belly jelly beans over in the UK?
If not I can get a few tubs for exchange purposes.
jtrhoades

Postby Toothy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:40 pm

jtrhoades wrote:You guys get Jelly Belly jelly beans over in the UK?
If not I can get a few tubs for exchange purposes.

Yes, we get those here and they're yummy! :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum