Erm..

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Erm..

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:28 pm

raisindot wrote:Then what is a "council tenancy"? I always thought they were the equivalent of housing projects--government subsidized housing, usually not very nice.

Pretty much it. Although I had a friend who's house was fairly nice who let her house to the council because she couldn't sell it. If it gets trashed by the tenants the council have to sort it out.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Wouldn't trust Council contractors to do a very good job.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:50 pm

It was either that or not sell though. If they do a crap job, they don't get their deposit back.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby jtrhoades » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:OK, so what's a condominium?

I think it's a flat that you buy rather than rent. A rented one is an apartment . . . or something. :?

Basically yes, you buy a condo, rent an apartment.

Of course you still pay a monthly fee to the condominium board to continue owning it...
jtrhoades

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, but you get that with houses in most areas as well. Homeowners associations. pay $300 a month to have someone tell you what you can and can't have on your lawn/porch/patio/etc. at least you sometimes get free cable or lawn maintenance out of it. sometimes free paint as well, though only in "approved" colors.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Actually, I've just discovered an internet store in the UK that sells US sweets/candy.

I'm now totally addicted to Big Red cinnamon gum. :oops:

They also now have Mountain Dew available, but although it's made in the EU, it tastes even better than US Mountain Dew!

Mountain Dew Gum? LOL I am with you on Big Red gum, it rocks. Silly toys are Paramount to keeping your sanity in the American office.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:42 pm

jtrhoades wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:OK, so what's a condominium?

I think it's a flat that you buy rather than rent. A rented one is an apartment . . . or something. :?

Basically yes, you buy a condo, rent an apartment.

Of course you still pay a monthly fee to the condominium board to continue owning it...

they tell you everything you must NOT do or you can be sued, and you get the privilege of paying them to Maintain Standards.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby raisindot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Yeah, but you get that with houses in most areas as well. Homeowners associations. pay $300 a month to have someone tell you what you can and can't have on your lawn/porch/patio/etc. at least you sometimes get free cable or lawn maintenance out of it. sometimes free paint as well, though only in "approved" colors.

Dunno about that. I think that only goes if you're in a 'created' community, like a gate community. If you just own a house on the street you can do whatever you want...come to my 'hood and you'll see exactly what complete freedom to never paint your house or cut your grass, have 20 old cars rusting on your lawn, or keep your trash barrels on your front porch is all about...and then you oughta see what everyone else BESIDES us does... :D
raisindot

Postby Dotsie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:18 pm

I pay one pound a year to the village trust, and they cut my front lawn. But I do have to paint my front door in the approved colour.
Dotsie

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:52 pm

raisindot wrote:
Dunno about that. I think that only goes if you're in a 'created' community, like a gate community. If you just own a house on the street you can do whatever you want...come to my 'hood and you'll see exactly what complete freedom to never paint your house or cut your grass, have 20 old cars rusting on your lawn, or keep your trash barrels on your front porch is all about...and then you oughta see what everyone else BESIDES us does... :D

no dog on the porch and a rocking chair? :lol: we get that too in some areas, but some try to change it around.

yeah, there's no helping some people :D
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Catch-up » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah, you only really get those homeowners associations with new, created communities. However, a lot of cities have ordinances to force upkeep. For example if you don't mow your grass here, if it gets over a certain length and someone complains, the city will send you a notice that if you don't mow within a certain number of days they'll come do it for you and send you a bill.

Never really understood the attraction of those created communities. They're cookie cutter homes, usually overpriced and poor construction, little to no landscaping, homeowners associations with weird rules and fees, no character to the architecture. They're like the strip malls of neighborhoods.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Never really understood the attraction of those created communities. They're cookie cutter homes, usually overpriced and poor construction, little to no landscaping, homeowners associations with weird rules and fees, no character to the architecture. They're like the strip malls of neighborhoods.

I suspect they attract a certain type who would love to hang up signs saying "no riff-raff".
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Riff raff are perfectly entitled to move into our created village, but happily they don't want to :D
Dotsie

Postby jtrhoades » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:27 pm

The idea behind the homeowners association is to help maintain property values.

If you live in a regular neighborhood with no set standards then your neighbor can totally trash their own property, or build weird structures that are right on the property line etc. and that can decrease the value of your property.

By setting and maintaining certain regulations, it helps protect the value of the property in the community.

Having said all that, in practice, they're a load of crap and no one should ever be subjected to their "standards".
jtrhoades

Postby Catch-up » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 am

Oops, sorry! Did not mean to slam anyone's home purchase. :oops: I was speaking specifically of the ones near us. I realize the idea is to keep the home values up. However there are lots of regular neighborhoods in cities that have ordinances to keep things up.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum