Hello All!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Hello All!

Postby Wheatie910 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey everyone!

Just signed up to this great forum! I see pictured rock-up on Facebook now an again with fans with Sir Terry! May I ask how people find out about these events?

I had a problem a few months ago with a leak in my room on camp, and when I returned from my leave from the Army I found that my books had been totally wrecked now I have to start my Discworld collection all over again soon, GUTTED!
I use to buy my books from a local book its shut down! Where do you guys buy your books from?

Any info on any of the above would be fantastic!!!!!

Kind Regards

Paul
Wheatie910

Re: Hello All!

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome to the site, Paul! :D

Sorry to hear about your collection of DW books and I hope you can replace them easily and cheaply. They can usually be found pretty cheaply, either second hand or new on such places as Amazon, Play.com, Abe Books, World of Books or Awesome Books.

You might even consider getting the books on Kindle or suchlike. That way you can take your whole collection with you, wherever you go.

As to events, you could sign up to Discworld Monthly, the online newsletter run by own own Jason. That has pretty much everything Discworld that is going on. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Wheatie910 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Tonyblack many many thanks for time! I will have a look at the sites now and sign up to! Many thanks once again!

Paul
Wheatie910

Postby Catch-up » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Welcome from me too Paul! :D Hope you're able to replace your books.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Penfold » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Hellooo and welcome from me Paul. I hope you can replace your books without too much hassle. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

As above. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:13 pm

And so below with the Welcome. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Wheatie910 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Cheers very much all! Yeah shouldnt be hard to replace them, just gotta chip away at them!

Kind regards

Paul
Wheatie910

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Welcome Wheatie. Nearly every charity shop will have one or two Prattchet paperbacks on their shelves at a quid or two a pop, go in enough and you'd soon rebuild your collection. Oxfam bookshops will probably have half a dozen. There's a lot to be said for getting your books from charity shops, there's the fun of the hunt - ok, you could go into a regular bookshop and get what you want, but that's like going into a petshop to buy a pet, finding one second hand is more like trapping one in the wild... then there's the randomness of what you have to look through, if you keep an open mind sometimes it'll take you on unexpected literary diversions... there's the money of course, 40 odd books'll take a hefty wedge if you're paying full price... Oh and there's the charity thing as well, who knows, you might help someone.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 pm

There is that 'virginal' quality of a shop-bought book though ... :oops: Mine! All mine!!! Forever!!!!! :lol: :P
And hi there Wheatie! :mrgreen:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Wheatie910 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Thats also a great idea! Thank you very much! Have any of you read The Long Earth yet?
Wheatie910

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Yep - there's a thread about it on the Latest Books forum. I enjoyed it a lot. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:There is that 'virginal' quality of a shop-bought book though ... :oops: Mine! All mine!!! Forever!!!!! :lol: :P

I worry about you sometimes Jan................

then again.... A nice crisp new book is a joy to behold huh? And nobodys boogers used as page markers......
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:12 pm

They're ideal for a snotter eater, Del. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Next

Return to The Broken Drum