The London Olympics 2012

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby Quatermass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Del wrote:We never had any of this when they hit Australia (well okay a tiny bit but those people were shouted down by the YAY-sayers. When we had the Commonwealth Games here is Brissy we all agreed that although the trains and buses were packed like sardines it made everyone so much more social and we loved the crowded journeys as everyone was always talking to each other. The flow on effect of everyone getting on the trains and calling out "hello!" to everyone on the train carriage lasted for ages after. It was wonderful. And if you saw anyone in colours from another country you HAD to say hello and welcome to Australia and ask them if they needed any help with directions or what to do.

Get INVOLVED people! Get excited!

Del's contaminated. We must quarantine her before she infects anyone else. :?

Del wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:Del, maybe more people are friendly in Brisbane to visitors cant say the same for London.

Well I CAN say the same for Edinburgh. When I was there I couldn't ever get my tourist map unfolded more than two folds before someone came up to me and asked me where I was going and 99% of the time didn't just give me directions but TOOK me there and acted as tour guide on the way! :D

While I didn't get that specific experience (in fact, we got lost on the first night, even though we had members of the family who lived in Scotland helping), I have to say that if I had to choose one city in the entire UK to live in, I would choose Edinburgh without hesitation. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am

Great pictures Penfold!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Seen this news clip on twitter from the Observer spreadsheet.
Like stepping into a dystopian future in which Britain is run by a military junta headed by Ronald McDonald.
AndrewRawnsley in Observer. :lol: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:00 pm

^ :D

Of course, they all answer to Mayor McCheese.

Officer Big Mac will be patrolling the golden arch districts for any signs of the disturbing of the peace... or an uneaten pickle.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 am

Me & Mr D are all about the Olympics in our house :D Mr D is so excited he came home the other day with a ball and a keying with the rings on them :lol:

Bit sad for him though, we got tickets for his birthday, so we could spend the day in London, but when we got back from hols there was a letter from his new employers saying they've booked him for a training course that day :( We'll still go for the weekend though, & watch the womens' triathlon.

YAY OLYMPICS!!! :D :D :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 am

Bah Humbug.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 am

And, and, and we've got Paralympics tickets and football tickets too. Woo hoo!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:23 am

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 am

Sorry that Mr. D has to go to training on his birthday, especially when you had such great plans. :(
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am

Yeah, it's a pain. I'll just have to make sure that the day after his birthday rocks :)
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 pm

It will! :D
Catch-up

Postby chuckie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Dotsie, if you do see the womans triathlon, can you cheer for Helen Jenkins.
She is the niece/cousin of discworld fans, she's also the current world champion.
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:37 pm

She's on Team GB so I don't need telling twice, consider her cheered! :D
Dotsie

Postby Batty » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Dotsie wrote:( We'll still go for the weekend though, & watch the womens' triathlon.

YAY OLYMPICS!!! :D :D :D

Very envious! I hope you have a brilliant time! :mrgreen:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Will do, ta! :D
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum