The London Olympics 2012

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 pm

spideyGirl wrote:
Del wrote:Thats the best part Spidey. As much as I cheer for Oz, when they arent in it I can scream my lungs out for someone I have never heard of before, or even someone who has beaten our competitor but who fought hard for it, or a country going for their first ever medal, .......... whoever. And still get great joy out of it.

Yep couldn't agree more! Quite a few of the men's high jumpers (from different countries) yesterday where getting the crowd to clap them as they ran for the jump to help boost them and the crowd did! :clap:

Ditto! All of them are amazing to watch and it's incredible to make it to the Olympics, no matter what country you're from. :clap:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm

pip wrote:And you all talk like this

Got to my mickey, found me way up the apples, put on me whistle and the bloody dog went. It was me trouble telling me to fetch the teapots. :lol: :lol:

No, no, no.. they all sound like Dick Van Dyke playing Bert in Mary Poppins. :lol: :roll: ;)
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Oh god. Now I'm tempted.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Father-Ted-Comp ... 010&sr=1-3

Have this in our Netflix streaming queue, but haven't watched it yet. :D
Catch-up

Postby michelanCello » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Watched waterpolo yesterday and our men our out :cry: :cry: :cry: But! We're 8th (!!) on the medal list and look what I found:

:shock:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/spectator-yelled-aly-raisman-parents-stop-cheering-sit-162218167--oly.html

Have you seen this Man? He was quite Irate when the Parents of an Olympic Gymnast stood to cheer their medal winning daughter. He seems to have his mother with him... Just wondering.

and WTG Hungary!!!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:33 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics in general, but you'd have to be a bit of a meanie-pants not to admire the athletes themselves. My brother's an endurance athlete (100-mile run, anyone? No, that isn't a typo, and no they don't stop to sleep), so I know the dedication that goes into competing in a sport at a high level.

That's why what's currently making me pull all the rage faces is the absolute nonsense I'm seeing just everywhere from men who're complaining that the female athletes aren't "attractive" enough:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new ... -jibe.html

http://www.themarysue.com/gabby-douglas ... ntroversy/

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/07/ ... ?mobile=nc

I mean, some of the women in question could likely lift their detractors over their heads, so they probably don't give two hoots, but seriously - these women are among the most accomplished athletes on the planet and they're still being judged for their body-shape, hairstyles and general looks. Grrrrr... :evil:
OrangeEyebrows

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54 pm

OrangeEyebrows wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics in general, but you'd have to be a bit of a meanie-pants not to admire the athletes themselves. My brother's an endurance athlete (100-mile run, anyone? No, that isn't a typo, and no they don't stop to sleep), so I know the dedication that goes into competing in a sport at a high level.

That's why what's currently making me pull all the rage faces is the absolute nonsense I'm seeing just everywhere from men who're complaining that the female athletes aren't "attractive" enough:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/new ... -jibe.html

http://www.themarysue.com/gabby-douglas ... ntroversy/

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/07/ ... ?mobile=nc

I mean, some of the women in question could likely lift their detractors over their heads, so they probably don't give two hoots, but seriously - these women are among the most accomplished athletes on the planet and they're still being judged for their body-shape, hairstyles and general looks. Grrrrr... :evil:

Thankfully I haven't come across any of this nonsense in person but I have heard others mention that they had seen it on interweb :roll:
spideyGirl

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:59 pm

spideyGirl, my advice is not to click on those links if you value your blood pressure! I mean, honestly. What do these women have to do to be respected? Split the thaum? ;)

"Hi! I'm a world-class athlete with a PhD in astrophysics, but I *did* only spend half an hour on my makeup this morning, so I understand your contempt." :roll:
OrangeEyebrows

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:05 pm

No worries :D
spideyGirl

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 pm

spideyGirl wrote:No worries :D

It's all right, mate :lol:
OrangeEyebrows

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:46 am

I think some men would be astonished to think that looking conforming to their ideal body shape is not a priority for all women :roll: These women are remarkable. But like Jo Brand says, some men will immediately rate all women They encounter for suitability as a sexual partner, and those women who fall into definite yes or no categories get to know the results (like Jo, poor woman)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 am

I believe Jo Brand is married with a couple of kids.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:55 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I believe Jo Brand is married with a couple of kids.

Or was til she ate her Husband
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:27 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:I believe Jo Brand is married with a couple of kids.

She is, but that doesn't stop men shouting out to her in the street that they don't want to have sex with her. Despite the "live and let live" attitude that most people claim to have, most men's reactions to her are like pip's (well done pip)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 am

Poor show, Pip :(
OrangeEyebrows

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum