The London Olympics 2012

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The London Olympics 2012

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:37 pm

I gotz a white one of dem! ;) :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Conforumist » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 am

I'm a huge fan of the Olympics! I enjoy watching almost all of the games. CBC has excellent coverage; far better than any of the US networks.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Will of Lancre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 am

I am keen on watching the Olympics on TV, but I sympathise with Londoners and am quite glad the Games are not likely to come to Luxembourg any time soon... :D

My son, who lives in London, is lucky to have work in Edinburgh for the duration. :)
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 am

When does it finish? :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 pm

I giggled a little reading that article too. :oops: Of course, I'm not there having to deal with the situation either.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Will of Lancre » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Tonyblack wrote:When does it finish? :?

12 Aug. Then there are the Paralympics from 29 Aug to 9 Sept, but they may not affect the traffic so badly.
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Del » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... NOW STOP IT !!!

Whenever I hear the phrase "whinging Poms" I stand tall and proud and talk you lot UP !!! "Oh no!" I say, "You have just met the whole lot. The ones I know are very positive people. Lovely bunch!"

Dont let me down!!!!!!

We never had any of this when they hit Australia (well okay a tiny bit but those people were shouted down by the YAY-sayers. When we had the Commonwealth Games here is Brissy we all agreed that although the trains and buses were packed like sardines it made everyone so much more social and we loved the crowded journeys as everyone was always talking to each other. The flow on effect of everyone getting on the trains and calling out "hello!" to everyone on the train carriage lasted for ages after. It was wonderful. And if you saw anyone in colours from another country you HAD to say hello and welcome to Australia and ask them if they needed any help with directions or what to do.

Get INVOLVED people! Get excited!
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Del, maybe more people are friendly in Brisbane to visitors cant say the same for London.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:21 pm

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:25 pm

:lol: :lol: Just about sums it up Mad. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Del, maybe more people are friendly in Brisbane to visitors cant say the same for London.

Well I CAN say the same for Edinburgh. When I was there I couldn't ever get my tourist map unfolded more than two folds before someone came up to me and asked me where I was going and 99% of the time didn't just give me directions but TOOK me there and acted as tour guide on the way! :D
Del

Postby Penfold » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:58 pm

Maybe people would be more enthusiastic about the games if they were allowed time off work for the opening ceremony. :think:

I did manage to brave the weather and get a reasonable vantage point (top of a multi-story car park) to watch and photograph the torch as it went through Worthing. The conditions and angle weren't great, however, but here are a few shots of the event.

On the way.

Handing over the relay.

View of the route.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Del » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Oh wow! Nice pics as always Penners.

I DRAGGED the kids miles out to see the Olympic flame come by here when Sydney had them. Hours of waiting and even I was wondering if it was going to be anything to write home about for all the waiting around and the few seconds to see it as they ran past.... but when it came past it was quite thrilling! And they loved it too :D

Then again I thrill easily :lol:

Were you suitably impressed? How about anyone else who saw the flame? Good?
Del

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 pm

I've shown these before but it went past the shop so I had the film crew in my house as it gave them a good vantage point.

and then as payback for use of my home I had the torch (unlit for safety) in the shop

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby janet » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Quatermass wrote:
janet wrote:
wicked woman wrote:Just back from the grand-daughters school play version of sport and the olympics featuring kids singing about about starkers on the starting line and nuddy on the playing field. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Horrible Histories has a lot to answer for.

That it does, but if it gets the little buggers interested in history, then should we complain?

Even so, got to watch the accuracy. I actually emailed Terry Deary about this years ago. In The Groovy Greeks (the book), he claims that in a 1980s story of Doctor Who, the Doctor is responsible for giving the Greeks the idea for the Trojan Horse. Being the anal retentive Doctor Who fan that I was, I pointed out (politely, anyway) that the story in question, The Myth Makers, was actually transmitted in the 1960s. The novelisation was done in the 1980s. :|

:lol: :lol: I've never met Terry Deary even though he lives only a few miles from me. He is responsible for getting the little buggers into history and the bigger buggers too! His point is that history teaching in Britain has been so bloody boring for so long, involving only the bits the academics deemed important (the vast majority of whom were male) and bearing no relevance to current reality that it needed a shake up of the most serious kind which he took as a challenge. He's taken all the bits of history and herstory which could make kids connect with their past as humans and made them accessible....GOOD :clap:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum