What language do you "think" in?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What language do you "think" in?

Postby chris.ph » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:41 pm

has somebody been watching firefox :lol: :lol: thats how clint flys firefox, thinking in russian. i think in wenglish, thats english with a welsh accent :whistle: :whistle: :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 pm

I had a fairly elderly Hungarian teacher for French and she was also fluent in German (but never used it professionally as she'd been in a labour camp as a teen). This was way back (pre-decimal) when the form teachers used to collect dinner money on Fridays... :lol: When she did that she always counted under her breath when she was counting up the money - in Hungarian.

As most of her adult life had been in the UK, she said she definitely thought in English most of the time, except when she was doing her banking and just put it down to something that she'd never had to do using her 'second' languages, so she'd reverted to the one she grew up with. Maybe it's a 'comfort' thing? :)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:50 pm

It is not good enough to simply SPEAK Minbari, you must be able to THINK, in Minbari. :lol:

Anyway, its an interesting topic. I've tried to learn a couple languages, always wondered what goes on later on, once you get more fluent, if you actively translate or what.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Conforumist » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Natalya wrote:
pip wrote:I think that was aimed at at spam that was done in russian and not you Natalya. Your English works fine here :D

Oh, really? I think that "russian girl" is about me although I'm more 'woman' than 'girl'. :D
Thank you, Pip and Tiffany! :dance:

Yes Natalya, you were correct about it being you! I was just poking a little fun at you. I know you're a good sport. :)
Last edited by Conforumist on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I had a fairly elderly Hungarian teacher for French and she was also fluent in German (but never used it professionally as she'd been in a labour camp as a teen). This was way back (pre-decimal) when the form teachers used to collect dinner money on Fridays... :lol: When she did that she always counted under her breath when she was counting up the money - in Hungarian.

Same here - I mean that whatever language it is, I can only count in Hungarian :P I can of course count in other languages, but since I'm not so good at maths, I guess it's more comforting not having to pay attention to the language beside those difficult numbers :lol:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Good topic. Always interested to know about the inner workings of a multilinguist.

What language do you swear in?
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:11 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:Good topic. Always interested to know about the inner workings of a multilinguist.

Jen' shame on you! :lol:
It always seems to be more languages than one can "speak" in. :roll:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:09 am

michelanCello wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:Same here - I mean that whatever language it is, I can only count in Hungarian

Interesting, Lena who is from Gothenburg and runs a cafe here that I go to regularly for Swedish coffee and cakes, always counts in Swedish. She will be happily talking to you in English but when you pay she adds up and calculates the change in Swedish then immediately drops back to English when she gives you the money :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby janet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:58 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:

As a student in the 60s I had a summer job as a waitress. The Yugoslav couple who ran the hotel taught me to swear in Serbo-Croat :lol:
Mostly %$*&")& English though ;)
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:What language do you swear in?

HA i'd be interested in that as well. Thats usually the first words you learn in another language. i know i did. and even though i never got very far with the languages i tried to learn i still sometimes swear in them despite being solely an english speaker. sometimes i even do it unconsciously and catch myself after.

and we had a support manager at my old store who was spanish but spoke perfect english, until she got angry. then she'd slip in and out of spanish, often several times during a sentence, without realizing it and would certainly curse in it. we'd have to ask her to calm down and speak slower otherwise no one could understand her. :lol:
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby janet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:06 am

Please explain the Minbari ref Raptornx01 :?
janet

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:14 am

Its a Babylon 5 reference. :D the line is said to one of the Human characters when she wonders why she can't be allowed to command a minbari ship during a battle. basically, having to translate in her head would take too long.

the line popped in my head when i read the title here :lol:
raptornx01

Postby janet » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:17 am

Thank you :) I never really got round to following too many SF series. My knowledge begins and ends with the original Star Trek :doh:
janet

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:12 am

I've been known to swear in Klingon :oops:

I'll get me coat.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am

I'm hopeless at languages, but after my trips to the Netherlands I found myself saying 'thank you' to people in Britain in Dutch. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum