happy days

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby BobtheDrog » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 pm

great picture Pip, as you say it's a social occassion as much as anything and he'll still be able to choose for himself. Hope it dries out by then for you (although would prefer dry by sunday since i'm meant to be playing cricket) bucketing down in the city centre at the moment
User avatar
BobtheDrog
Member
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:06 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby raisindot » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:00 pm

pip wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Get married. That should be non-negotiable :P Doesn't even need to be a big wedding (just a few from the forum, you know).

Well when we do its gonna be in St Petersburg in mid summer :D


Good timing. Temperature should be nearly above freezing and most of the snow'll be gone by then. :D
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3178
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Catch-up » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 pm

We got married at the botanical gardens, had a very small guest list and the reception at a local restaurant afterwards. The money we saved on a wedding took us on a three week honeymoon to Europe. And instead of 200 guests all eating some dried up piece of chicken or tasteless pasta dish, a couple dozen people had a great meal and great company. Win/win. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6703
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 am

Aw Harry is sooo cute (cluck cluck)!

Because you quite rightly so will do what you guys feel is best no matter what is said here and the fact that you yourself opened it up for debate I feel it would be okay to say my bit. :D And as always you are quite free to ignore every single word of it :D

My personal view is I wouldn't and didn't do it. Yes, it's a lovely building (I love visiting churches for their history and structure). Yes, it's a great excuse for a party. :D Yes, it welcomes Harry more formally to your family and friends. :D You could do a naming ceremony as an alternative, friends of ours have done that. No religion involved and meets all the above.

As a recovering Irish Roman Catholic, now atheist, I envy my partner being brought up free of religion. Completely free. He's not on any churches books anywhere. No-one can claim him as one of their number. And those numbers matter. They are used in all sorts of decision making by national and local governments, community pressure groups etc...

I know its UK specific but as an example of what I mean, have a read of this. All sorts of assumptions are made about what my child needs to have in RE, particularly section '3 The legal framework, rights and responsibilities'.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/fi ... chools.pdf

I have to disagree with Dotsie (If I understood you right Dotsie, sorry in advance if I didn't!), if you are not religious yourselves then I think you are more likely to regret having your child christened than not as it grows up (unless Armageddon turns out to be true and then you can repent at the last minute anyway :twisted: ).

I also agree with Con, let Harry decide for himself. If you don't really care, why force it on him?

Nothing wrong with being seen as odd, better to be odd than a sheep. Who knows you may inspire others to be more true to themselves :dance:

I'm sure you will have a lovely day no matter what and I hope the weather is nice and sunny for you all! :D
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby pip » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 am

All opinions are welcome spidey.
I think someone made the all ending argument that whatever mammy wants mammy gets at the moment so it'll come down to that
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9382
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 am

pip wrote:All opinions are welcome spidey.
I think someone made the all ending argument that whatever mammy wants mammy gets at the moment so it'll come down to that


Ha ha no doubt! :D

Remember you have a parental voice too Pip - mind you, you aren't bothered on this topic so it doesn't matter :lol:

I was so highly strung when I was a new mum and (understandably) very emotive about everything. I was guilty (more than once :oops: ) of biting my OH head off but 9/10 times he made sense and I'm glad I listened (eventually!). I think I would probably still have our boy sleeping in our room if he hadn't stood his ground and would have ended up on one of Bouncy's 'Things that leave you speechless' posts :o ;)
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am

spideyGirl wrote:Yes, it's a lovely building (I love visiting churches for their history and structure).

I'm like that with music. I'm totally an atheist, but love sacred music. I really enjoy a good requiem. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28773
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:11 am

Tonyblack wrote:
spideyGirl wrote:Yes, it's a lovely building (I love visiting churches for their history and structure).

I'm like that with music. I'm totally an atheist, but love sacred music. I really enjoy a good requiem. :lol:


Me too, its better if its sung in another language :lol:
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:43 am

Definitely! Although Handel's 'Messiah' is fun in English for the misheard lyrics aspect. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28773
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Antiq » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 am

Me too! Church music, the more ancient the better, is my absolute favourite music :lol: I guess because it's intrinsically so beautiful, regardless of it's subject matter. If anything ever converts me, it's going to be music :D
Carpe Jugulum
User avatar
Antiq
Member
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm

Ditto, but with gospel music for some reason. Really upbeat, jazzy gospel music. I love it! Could be because I grew up listening to Big Band jazz. I remember a woman that was a neighbor of relatives taking me and my cousin to church with her one Sunday and just being wow-ed by the music. We were as good as brought up with no religion, but I'll spare you all the story. Needless to say I'm grateful to have grown up that way.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6703
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Will of Lancre » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Definitely! Although Handel's 'Messiah' is fun in English for the misheard lyrics aspect. :lol:


Not to mention the "correctly heard but misinterpreted lyrics" aspect (All We Like Sheep :D).
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
User avatar
Will of Lancre
Member
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:53 pm
Location: Lancre aka Luxembourg

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:17 pm

:lol: Oh yes!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28773
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I even have some monks chanting on cd somewhere...nice and calming to listen to as you fall asleep :D
User avatar
spideyGirl
Member
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Yorkshire, UK

Re: Pip Juniors (Harry) Christening

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm

spideyGirl wrote:I even have some monks chanting on cd somewhere...nice and calming to listen to as you fall asleep :D

If you like that, you may enjoy some nuns chanting to the music of Hildegard of Bingen. ;)

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28773
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests