Can We Stop Arguing Please?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Can We Stop Arguing Please?

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 am

In Shinjuku station in downtown Tokyo, there used to be a cardboard box city, where a lot of poor and homeless lived.
In 2002, just before the World Cup in Japan, all these homeless people were evicted.
The Japanese authorities didn't want them to be seen by visitors, because it would reflect negatively. :ugeek:

This gentrification process is exactly what is happening here with the signature image ban. :ugeek:

Since the Harper Collins board closed down, this forum is the main TP forum worldwide. It is so popular and successful, that (as stated previously) it is now being used as a marketing tool to promote Transworld books.

As you can see from this Dodger sampler and Long Earth proof, we are being used for promotional purposes.

There is a new book being published shortly with this site's address inside. It is important to Transworld that this forum looks all "shipshape and Bristol" fashion for the forthcoming influx of newbies, hence the ban.

I like a good forum fight as well as the next man/woman, but there is no point in continuing to argue over the sig/images ban. The moderators are not calling the shots on this one. 8-)

GAME OVER!
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Re: Can We Stop Arguing Please?

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 am

Last edited by Sister Jennifer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 am

poohcarrot wrote:I like a good forum fight as well as the next man/woman.....

Sister Jenn, why did it have to be you to post first? :roll: :roll:
You've just ruined a perfectly good joke I had all set up. :( :(
:dance:
poohcarrot

Postby Sister Jennifer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 am

poohcarrot wrote:
poohcarrot wrote:I like a good forum fight as well as the next man/woman.....

Sister Jenn, why did it have to be you to post first? :roll: :roll:
You've just ruined a perfectly good joke I had all set up. :( :(
:dance:

Sorry, should I call you a Wambulance? That's the best I could do to get rid of it.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:35 am

I didn't mean you should remove your bird. :o :o :o
It was lovely and very appropriate. :dance: :dance: :dance:
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am

The mods have a point. I used to be a mod on another BBS, and image sigs were banned. And we had to be careful about animated avatars, or any animated pictures used on the BBS, because a lot of the people on said BBS had problems with epilepsy.

I understand where they're coming from. Whereas you just want to poke issues with a stick and see them jump, and use whatever BS rhetoric you can use to shore up your opinion. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to use the 'T' word in conjunction with you. And to be fair, you have been behaving. Mostly.

This ain't Terra Alpha, Pooh, you can't have me shot for being a killjoy. :P
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the post which should have been second. :dance:
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:05 am

ENOUGH!

Where are my specimens? It's time for an experiment!
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Antiq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 am

What?
.......oh, I didn't even notice there was a sig image ban, missed that thread :lol:
Personally, most forums I use that have the option to block sig images , I do. They slow down my ancient computer, and, depending on the forum, can be very annoying. Never bothered me here, but I won't miss them either, to be honest. They are not something that matters to me. I'm more interested in what people say and their personalities than whatever extraneous graphic decoration they have littered about :D They also use up a bunch of ........something.....bandwidth? Gotta watch out for that Spectrum Crunch :D
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 pm

So, what you are saying is, the ban would have happened even without your little sig war with pip? wow :lol:

Antiq wrote:I'm more interested in what people say and their personalities than whatever extraneous graphic decoration they have littered about

to be fair i think the choices people make for their decoration says alot about the person. one could possibly do a study just on that alone. its kind of like online body language. i'll be it static (so to speak) but a glimpse into the person.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Pooh, I sincerely support overhauling forum flaws we all now know exist regularly. Perhaps your reasonable arguments may inspire decisive, salutatory success unless cruelly knocked sideways by underhanded, thoughtless tossers.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

This is addressed to the original poster and to anyone else who thinks there is something underhand going on.

If you really want to stop people arguing, as the title of this thread suggests, then stop fanning the flames by posting pointless nonsense. I don’t know where you get the information, which you post as if it were fact, but you are wrong on several accounts.

Firstly we, the moderators have not been given any orders by Transworld regarding images in signatures. We have never been given orders or instructions from Transworld on how to moderate this, their message board.

Secondly, Transworld are not using this forum to promote their books. This forum is for Pratchett fans to talk about their favourite author and his books. Transworld didn't have to create such a forum, but they did, which I think is really rather generous of them.

Thirdly, the links you refer to are for the http://www.terrypratchett.co.uk homepage. This forum is merely linked from there. Transworld has been promoting this homepage for several years now, since it was created. Transworld are a publishing house, why shouldn't they create a homepage to publicise their books? I can see nothing wrong with that.

As I said at the start of this, if you want to stop the arguing, then stop posting about it.

I think everyone has had their say now - let's try and move on shall we?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Psst, Tony, no one actually believes him ;) Smile and nod, just, smile and nod.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:00 pm

run along and play now, there's a good boy
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

raptornx01 wrote:Psst, Tony, no one actually believes him ;) Smile and nod, just, smile and nod.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is that. :dance:

Now if nobody posts here again, this thread will be lost in the backwaters of the forum for eternity, and this whole unsavoury episode will be soon forgotten. 8-)

And I'm off back to my pit. The Broken Drum? Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to post there. :dance: :dance:

THE END
poohcarrot

Next

Return to The Broken Drum