WBC

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

WBC

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm sure you all probably don't know about this and probably couldn't care less, but today Japan won the World Baseball Classic, again. :D

It's the only international competition to include major league players. The first competition was 3 years ago, which Japan won, and today the second competition finished (in the US), which Japan also won. 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

The US fielded a strong team (Jeeter etc) but Japan knocked them out in the semi :lol: and beat South Korea in the final.

So from now the "World Series" is no longer the name of the US Baseball final series, but is now the name given to the Japan final Series. :wink:

It's equivalent to England winning the rugby World Cup. 8)

As baseball is the national sport of Japan (bet you didn't know that) and the best non-drug-taking Major League players are all Japanese it's massive news over here.

(Big World Cup footy game next week when Japan play Oz)

Here ends the Japanese sports blog. :P
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Actually I did know that baseball was the national sport of Japan - although I have no idea how I know it. I have one of those brains that soaks up trivia I guess. :lol:

Baseball is pretty big here in Wales as well (South Wales in particular). It's a different game to that played in the US but certainly as a kid, baseball was the school sport we played during the summer.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:53 pm

You're not talking about "Rounders", are you? :lol:
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:08 pm

Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Are we talking underarm pitching here and a ball bigger than a cricket ball ie; softball (which Japan won gold at the last olympics)?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

No, the ball is about the same size as a cricket ball. The bowling is different to cricket, but not underarm, more like US style baseball.

I was always crap at it anyhow. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 pm

If you go to a stadium and drink copious amounts of beer in the sun, it's quite a pleasant way to waste four hours of your life.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:08 pm

Er - no! :twisted:

I think you'll find lying poolside in the shade with the possibility of all inclusive cocktails on demand, on your own (except for the barman who looks more like Bryan Brown than Tom Cruise) and a Pterry book is a pleasant way to spend 4 hours... *nods sagely*

But congos Japan for winning even though baseball is nothing like Rugby (in the perspective of male-dominated sports and female spectatorship mud. blood and sweat are the only activity worth watching/caring about. Minimal padding and proper shorts are also essential) :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Comparing baseball to rugby was an attempt to show how important it was for Japanese people. Rugby is a major sport in the UK but not the world - same as baseball. The Ozzies or the All blacks are usually the best at rugby- the US is supposed to be the best at baseball.

Now, England winning the footy World Cup would be a different ball game!
(round, not oval :lol: )
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm

I don't bother looking at the balls Pooh. Well not the leather/rubber ones anyway... :lol:

American ball games of any kind always seem rather cissy to me with far too much padding/armour going on in some respects - and frankly I'd be much more impressed with the catching in baseball if some of them didn't wear a bloody great elongated glove to help them...? :roll:

All sport is anathema to me and so wasted except - just the visual aspects of grown men running about after a 'little' ball has some entertainment value when you add the muckier elements (like mud, blood and sweat) and Rugby tends to have more of that than most... :twisted:

*goes off to catch a cold shower*
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:09 pm

speaking of rugby wheres cols i thought she would have had a good gloat by now if shes sobered up yet , coz if we d have won id have pm d a missive sunday :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby cols » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 pm

chris.ph wrote:speaking of rugby wheres cols i thought she would have had a good gloat by now if shes sobered up yet , coz if we d have won id have pm d a missive sunday :lol:

Honestly I was tempted Chris but to be honest the head was a little delicate , had to have a few(?) drinks Saturday to steady the nerves after nearly having a major cardiac moment(s) .
Wales were excellent, We were better :D Best match I've ever seen !!
cols

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:51 pm

<As baseball is the national sport of Japan (bet you didn't know that) and the best non-drug-taking Major League players are all Japanese it's massive news over here. >

Actually I did having been in Japan, out of one of the hotels we were staying the was a court where it was played on a rooftop.

There was a big game on against USA when I was out there one of the guys we knew managed to get a ticket for it.

But I missed the trip to the Ghibli studio's in Chiba. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Return to The Broken Drum