I loved reading the REST of the newspaper articles on those newspapers... it WAS 1941 after all (the war).
My dad was SUCH a safety sam ! He would turn off the power to the house if we went out for the day. We were drilled about the time Mrs S's nightgown caught fire on the heater, or when the Thompsons boy got his arm caught in the washing mangle, etc. We had every electrical item in OUR house in perfect condition because Mum and Dad knew so many people who had died. It was real. We had one house where you had to turn on the toilet light to get the powerpoints to work in the dining room.
And although our house was one of the safest we knew, there were still traumas. The time my brother who was just toddling, got past the barricade to the kitchen, climbed up the counter in the kitchen and crawled onto the iron stove
And how many fools STILL store their petrol cans in the shed along with fertilizer????
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....