What made you smile today? 5

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 5

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 pm

I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: "no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
(Eleanor Roosevelt)

The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending and having the two as close together as possible.
(George Burns)

Santa Claus has the right idea -- visit people only once a year.
(Victor Borge)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
(Mark Twain)

What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce.
(Mark Twain)

By all means marry: If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
(Socrates)

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.
(Groucho Marx)

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.
(Charlotte Whitton)

My wife has a slight impediment in her speech - every now and then she stops to breathe.
(Jimmy Durante)

I never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.
(Zsa Zsa Gabor)

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: Alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
(Alex Levine)

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
(Mark Twain)

Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
(Spike Milligan)

I'm very pleased to be here. Let's face it, at my age I'm very pleased to be anywhere.
(George Burns)

At my age flowers scare me.
(George Burns)

Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.
(Herbert Henry Asquith)

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.
(Lucille Ball)

I don't feel old - I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.
(Bob Hope)

It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.
(George Burns)

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have you declared legally insane in order to gain control of your estate.
(Woody Allen)

If you want to make GOD Laugh, tell him your future plans.
(Woody Allen)

Those are my principles, if you don't like them ... I have others."
(Groucho Marx)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby wicked woman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:24 pm

:lol: :lol:
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Conforumist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:33 am

The waitress at the restaurant last night must have thought I was a bit loonie. When she suggested the "penne all' arrabiata" to wifey as one of their the gluten free dishes, it was all I could do not to crack up. She must have been wondering why I had such a grin on my face. :)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Catch-up » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Since it's just been Thing 2 and I for a couple of days (Thing 1 & Dad are at camp) we've been planning some special things to do together. Yesterday I asked her what she wanted to do and she chose bowling, which I've never tried before. A neighbor owns the bowling alley down the street so we went there, he got us all set up, gave me a tutorial. We got our shoes and played three games. Then he refused to let me pay! :shock: :D I felt so guilty but he was so nice. We'll definitely have to go back so that I can pay him next time. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:09 pm

How about, as another activity for you both to do, you bake him a cake/cupcakes as a "thank you" ?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Not just smile but made me quite contentedly happy. The barsteward known as abu the hook is going to face justice at long last, God bless you America for requesting his presence to answer for his crimes in your country. :D :banana-dance: :happy-smileyflower: Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:How about, as another activity for you both to do, you bake him a cake/cupcakes as a "thank you" ?

Thats what WE do.... :D

When Truly was about 4 or 5 the lovely old man Mr Parker over the road used to let her come in with me every Friday as we walked past his house to ours and let her pick one of his flowers (he never picked them himself) and every Friday night we baked cupcakes and she would ice them (I remember one plate that was swimming in a lake of too soft icing) :lol: but SHE had made them and proudly took them over with me and knocked on his door and presented them to him.

And every Monday afternoon as she walked home from school with me, he would wait at the gate and give her the clean plate back and tell her how WONDERFUL they were.

It was only at his funeral we learnt that he was a diabetic and could never touch cupcakes or icing. :D :D
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:35 pm

We (all the girls) went down to Surfers this week (half an hour away) for the afternoon. Truly, my oldest spent the whole afternoon digging for pippies in the sand ... strenuous work.

I wandered down to her on and off to collect the pippies she had collected... you cant put them down or they burrow back into the sand and disappear... so I was taking them off her and putting them in a plastic bag much further up the beach.

I knew they had to have water to stay alive so I used the water out of a bottle we had with our gear so they wouldnt dry out in the bottom of the bag (it was watertight so held water)

She came back up to the towels an hour or so later clutching her haul to add to the ones she already had and asked me where I had put them.... so I told her ...

Me: I put them in the Aldi bag there.
Truly: Oh good thinking! They are watertight right? The pippies have to stay wet or they die.
Me: Yeah, I thought they did.
Truly: Thanks for going to all that trouble Mum! You're the best!
Me: It wasn't any "trouble" Truly. I put your pippies in a bag and squirted some water on them. Not hard.
Truly: Squirted? *looks around at our drink bottles* Squirted? Did you put FRESH water on them?They need SEAwater Mum!! SEAWATER! :o :o

*** grabs her Aldi bag and clutches it to her chest runs down to the waves screaming.....***

'MY BABIES!!!!! MYYYYYYYY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABIES!!!!!!!!!!!" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm

You look good in your red swimsuit Del. ;)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Ha-dy ha ha!

Thats the daughter. And OMG! I did wear a bikini to the beach for the first time in ummmmm years. But only because I couldnt find my full piece and the daughter brought one of hers.

I put the bikini on just before we left and walked out to her and said "Seriously???? You brought me a STRING TIE bikini????? SERIOUSLY????" :roll:

I wore a shirt over it.

Slip SLop Slap after all.
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Del wrote:Ha-dy ha ha!

Thats the daughter. And OMG! I did wear a bikini to the beach for the first time in ummmmm years. But only because I couldnt find my full piece and the daughter brought one of hers.

I put the bikini on just before we left and walked out to her and said "Seriously???? You brought me a STRING TIE bikini????? SERIOUSLY????" :roll:

I wore a shirt over it.

Slip SLop Slap after all.

:banana-gotpics: go on, go on, go on, go on,go on, go on, go on, Del. :text-worthless: :lol:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Conforumist wrote:The waitress at the restaurant last night must have thought I was a bit loonie. When she suggested the "penne all' arrabiata" to wifey as one of their the gluten free dishes, it was all I could do not to crack up. She must have been wondering why I had such a grin on my face. :)

Did you ask her for a tray? :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Batty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Sings ...
... I'd like to lie, shipwrecked and comatose,
drinking fresh mango juice,
goldfish shoals nipping at my toes.
Fun, fun, fun. In the sun, sun, sun ...
:music-listening:

Yep! I've just watched the brand new episode of Red Dwarf! Yay! It's back! :happy-partydance:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Batty wrote:Sings ...
... I'd like to lie, shipwrecked and comatose,
drinking fresh mango juice,
goldfish shoals nipping at my toes.
Fun, fun, fun. In the sun, sun, sun ...
:music-listening:

Yep! I've just watched the brand new episode of Red Dwarf! Yay! It's back! :happy-partydance:

I had a Portuguese friend who loved Red Dwarf but couldn't work out what was said in the theme song. He asked his English teacher what "snibbling" meant as he thought that's what the goldfish were doing. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 pm

RED DWARF IS BACK????? :o

Why did noone tell me?

I thought Batty was just singing the song in honour of my going to the beach :lol: :lol: :lol:
Del

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum