IMAGES IN SIGNATURES

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: IMAGES IN SIGNATURES

Postby poohcarrot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:30 pm

The "Don't let Tiff's Dragon's Fire Go Out" campaign!
Patron: Lady Sybil Vimes

Although I never broke any forum rules, I am partially responsible for the complete blanket ban on signature images. :oops:
A ban that has caused unnecessary distress to Tiff, with the loss of her baby dragon image. :(
I therefore feel duty-bound to do everything in my power to get Tiff's dragon reinstated.
I am under a gease! (Just my twisted sense of honour :roll: )

In a democracy, sometimes decisions are made which, although seeming well-meant at the time, have unforeseen negative consequences.
In a democracy, it is the right, nay duty, of every individual to protest in such cases.
I believe this is such a case.

As Rap and Del have pointed out, there is a simple solution available for those who don't wish to see signature images.
All they have to do is simply adjust their settings accordingly.

The Proposal

The following is a modest proposal which if voted on, carried and implemented, would enable Tiff's dragon image to be reinstated. :dance:

* Each member would be entitled to have a maximum of one image on their signature.
* The image MUST NOT be animated. :naughty:
* The image MUST NOT be too big. :naughty:

In a couple of days I will be posting a poll in the Broken Drum inviting members to vote on this proposal.
If there is a large majority in favour of the proposal, the powers that be might consider rethinking the blanket ban, a ban that most senior members here appear to oppose.

On a different note, I see there is a very interesting review of Long Earth on the June issue of Discworld Monthly. :dance:
(Click on the link in Jason's signature on page 1 of this thread.)
I also notice that the Discworld Monthly is seeking funds to assist in spreading the good word around.
What a worthy cause! :clap:
I myself, am considering donating five pounds to help the running costs. 8-)
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Batty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Although a worthy and justifiable campaign, pooh, I don't think it will work.

You are basing the proposal on the age old voting system of: one man, one vote.

The Mod is the man. He has the vote ... :roll:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:23 pm

It is very kind of you Pooh, to sympathise with me & do a poll for reinsertion's of non moving siggy pics. :clap:
It could be noted that I could use said image as my Avatar if I really didn't want to lose him/her, (we still don't know what sex, hopefully it may be revealed in the next series!) Well, yes I could, but I haven't, as moving ones seem OK for Avatars.
However, I don't wish to cause any waves in the unruffled surface of this forum. :P
But I would like pics on siggy's, non moving of course & I would like my baby dragon back on my siggy. :pray:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby =Tamar » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Just a grumble from one of the geriatrics. Now that the option has been pointed out to me, I have turned off the -ing moving sigs. (Relief!) Now I see people sticking seven or more animated "smilies" above the sig line. I find them annoying too, though I don't mind ordinary smilies (much) and even used one myself once. I am just about ready to turn off all the animated smilies and avatars too. Humans got along without them for thousands of years and expressed themselves just fine.
=Tamar

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Just lost this simuling with Tamar... :roll:

OK - this is the non-tactful version because I have to go out again soon. Let's go to the polls on this as it's getting silly. Successful online communities - and this is one of the best IMHO (and that's honest not humble opinion :twisted: ) - thrive on diversity and interaction and in the end are only as good as the people who frequent them :ugeek:

This kind of issue is perfectly easily policed through the board preferences in everyone's member control panel with admin being able to limit and specify what types of files can be used in sigs, avvys and in the posts themselves. The PM system can be used if the odd flare up or abuse occurs and stuff needs taking down. It doesn't matter who owns or maintains the forum - we're the ones who use it and make it what it is so our views should be consulted. :mrgreen:

To be clear I'm not criticising our admin or mods at all here - they've set up this thread to discuss this issue and this is a valid solution that treats regulars and newbies alike fairly and rationally. :twocents-twocents:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Batty » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
This kind of issue is perfectly easily policed through the board preferences in everyone's member control panel with admin being able to limit and specify what types of files can be used in sigs, avvys and in the posts themselves. ...

To be clear I'm not criticising our admin or mods at all here - they've set up this thread to discuss this issue and this is a valid solution that treats regulars and newbies alike fairly and rationally. :twocents-twocents:

Was this thread set up for a discussion? I thought it was more of a directive ...

Tamar wrote:... I am just about ready to turn off all the animated smilies and avatars too. Humans got along without them for thousands of years and expressed themselves just fine.

Humans have survived without computers and mobile phones for thousands of years, as well.
As someone who enjoys posting smileys, I will continue to do so! They amuse me, and I frequent this forum for my own amusement ...
Last edited by Batty on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby michelanCello » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Batty wrote: Humans have survived without computers and mobile phones for thousands of years, as well.
As someone who enjoys posting smileys, I will continue to do so! They amuse me, and I frequent this forum for my own amusement ...

:clap:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Jason » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Tony, Toothy and I really do appreciate hearing all your views on this but in this particular case we were not looking for the board members permission or suggestions of compromise. The decision as made stands and will continue to do so. We are sorry if a minority of people don't like it but we are looking at the big picture (as it were).

We'd like to point out that the option in the control panel for disabling signatures means that you lose them all - not just the animated ones so this really isn't a viable option.

The moderators - Tony, Toothy and Jason.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum