RIP Ray Bradbury.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: RIP Ray Bradbury.

Postby Conforumist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:09 am

swreader wrote:Ray Bradbury was one of the true "Greats" of the beginning of science-fiction & fantasy--along with Asimov, Heinlein, and others of that generation. He has received, over the course of his long career, most of the nation's prizes for literature. For a listing (and timeline) of his accomplishments in short stories, novels, and screenplays see today's news story here. He had a long and productive life.

Hail and Farewell, Ray Bradbury :cry:

***edited to correct the link

Well said,
I wouldn't be surprised if they did something special in his memory at the con. which some of you are going to soon.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 am

I just got Farenheit 451 out of the library. I always meant to get round to reading it, now I actually will.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:25 am

Dotsie wrote:I just got Farenheit 451 out of the library. I always meant to get round to reading it, now I actually will.

I read it last year and thought it was very good. The movie is pretty good too, but very dated. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:I just got Farenheit 451 out of the library. I always meant to get round to reading it, now I actually will.

I read it last year and thought it was very good. The movie is pretty good too, but very dated. :)

Book is brilliant Dotsie and unlike the film it hasn't dated . Burn all kindles. Our film institue here is doing a special showing of the film next week and we share a building so i got free tickets and probably won't be allowed go . Ah well :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 pm

I discovered Ray Bradbury at school (Asimov too*) during the 'O' level summer when the exams were over and we were allowed in the Library all the time 'cos there was nothing left to cram into us before we broke up and went and got jobs etc... :roll: and so I finally got to indulge my taste for fantasy and sci-fi away from set books. It was in an anthology of classis sci-fi and the story Ray wrote was The Pedestrian which was published in 1951 and kind of predicted our car-dependant culture - I loved it anyway. More than 1984 which I read in full that summer as well.

Do read the wiki article as it's quite interesting in context with Bradbury's future work :P

*Nightfall and the very first Susan Calvin Robot story with the nursemaid 'bot :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 pm

Interesting Wiki! Reminds me of one of my favourite factual books - 'The Whole Story - A Walk Around the World by Ffyona Campbell. She went and did her coast to coast American walk again, but solo this time and bought a baby buggy to carry her belongings in. She got stopped numerous times on her journey by police wanting to know why she was walking and why she had a baby with her. On a few occasions she was nearly arrested for child abuse, until she proved that there was no baby in the buggy. :roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Antiq » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 am

Awwwwww, so sad. Like the end of an era. I remember reading Bradbury when I was just a kid!
In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.
Antiq

Postby Del » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am

I didnt even know he was still alive!

Ray Bradbury was one of my first loves and was mainly responsible for my love of science fantasy. Like Jan I too found him in a compilation of short stories. I was about 12 I think. My father had always sat us outside each evening way out west where the skies were dark as ... um... night :lol: but clear, so clear and we would watch the satellites trace over the sky. We would also seeing streaking meteorites (so it was easy to image they were flaming spaceships about to crash to the earth!) It was because I started to hunt Bradbury stories down that I was introduced to the other greats. I always loved his short stories over his novels.... and thus began my love of short stories in science fiction. THEN I discovered the mags of the 50's and I started hunting them down. I never really thought "Farenheit 451" was his best work. Loved so many others. I thought the "Mars Chronicles" were better. But then its all subjective hey.

So I owe him alot. They had "It Came From Out Of Space!" on TV two days ago.

Anyone remember "The Ray Bradbury Theatre"?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... V-O6F6grHg

Apart from Bradbury I thought you all might love a link to a wonderful series I have been watching over the last few weeks. (Bradbury alas :evil: was omitted!)

Prophets of Science Fiction. It was an amazing series!

http://www.sbs.com.au/documentary/program/901
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Found this

http://soundcloud.com/neilgaiman/the-ma ... y-bradbury
AUDIOBOOKS, AUTHORS
Neil Gaiman Reads ‘The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury’
By Jason Boog on June 14, 2012 1:23 PM
Novelist Neil Gaiman has posted a free audio version of ”The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury” on Soundcloud. Press play in the Soundcloud player embedded above to listen.
You can read the short story in the upcoming anthology, Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury Gaiman recorded the story during a crowd-funded concert in Portland, Oregon, a project called “An Evening With Neil Gaiman & Amanda Palmer.”
The author also posted this tribute to Bradbury on his blog: “Last week, at dinner, a friend told me that when he was a boy of 11 or 12 he met Ray Bradbury. When Bradbury found out that he wanted to be a writer, he invited him to his office and spent half a day telling him the important stuff: if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Every day. Whether you feel like it or not. That you can’t write one book and stop. That it’s work, but the best kind of work. My friend grew up to be a writer, the kind who writes and supports himself through writing. Ray Bradbury was the kind of person who would give half a day to a kid who wanted to be a writer when he grew up.”
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:41 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent!
Tonyblack

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum