(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Ho ho ho! :lol:

I don't believe in Father Christmas.
Stultus Saxum

Postby poohbcarrot » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Wasn't that a Greg Lake song?
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am

I always used to chuckle how that song, 'I Believed in Father Christmas' used to get played every year when it's actually about what a load of crap the whole Christmas story is. :lol:

And the added plus is that I got to discover Prokofiev's 'Lieutenant Kije' from that record. I actually got into Classical Music though ELP with there 'Pictures At An Exhibition' album. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby keith_art » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:44 am

Tonyblack wrote:I always used to chuckle how that song, 'I Believed in Father Christmas' used to get played every year when it's actually about what a load of crap the whole Christmas story is. :lol:

And the added plus is that I got to discover Prokofiev's 'Lieutenant Kije' from that record. I actually got into Classical Music though ELP with there 'Pictures At An Exhibition' album. :D

You sent me off to Wiki there, and I found THIS, which is [supposed to be, (knowing wiki)] Greg Lake's own views on the song.
and a hard boiled egg!

See my Art & Videos at http://bit.ly/affections
keith_art

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 am

Yes, I think that's probably true - it's not a Christmas song as such more about how commercial the whole thing has become. I've certainly always understood it to be about Christmas in general being crap. :lol:

The 'Lieutenant Kije' bit called Troika (a type of sleigh) has become connected with Christmas although it's really nothing to do with it at all. It's about how a spelling mistake confused the Czar enough that he thought there was a heroic lieutenant in his army. Rather than telling him he was wrong a plot is hatched to create a fictitious person, get him married and eventually kill him heroically in battle. It's great! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Trish » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:18 am

Tonyblack wrote:I always used to chuckle how that song, 'I Believed in Father Christmas' used to get played every year when it's actually about what a load of crap the whole Christmas story is. :lol:

....discovered Prokofiev's 'Lieutenant Kije' from that record. I actually got into Classical Music though ELP with there 'Pictures At An Exhibition' album. :D

Yes & Yes.

My Irish Catholic mother loved that ELP Xmas song.
I never did have the heart to tell her what it meant...

"Pictures at an Exhibition" is marvelous. Thank god (existing or not) for Lime Wire; now I have it on CD.
Trish

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 am

Trish have you heard the Mussorgsky version? If not it's really worth listening to. It was originally written as a solo piano piece, but, after his death it got orchestrated by Maurice Ravel (probably the most famous version) and many others. :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:36 am

(Moved from "Frustration thread")

Bouncy Castle wrote:HAH!!! He couldn't organise whatsit in a brewery, and how did he manage that only 9 (or so) months after taking control?
Bloody good organising.

Totally agree!

THEY'd have had to have someone working on the inside of say , the security company that was responsible for security at the WTC site and various airports.

What was the name of of the security company again?

Oh yes, I remember, SECURICOM. I'm sure that the fact that the CEO was Wirt D Walker III (a cousin of Georg W Bush), and one of the directors had been Marvin Bush (George W Bush's actual brother!) is just pure co-incidence.

Oh! And wasn't it Securicom under its new name that won the multi-billion dollar contract to provide Iraq with a mobile phone system, despite having zero experience in this field? A contract that was not open to other bidders?

Anyway, there's mo way they could have organised it in 9 months. I mean, it took 26 days to organise an invasion of a country - Afghanistan!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:09 am

I think that people shouldn't believe blindly in what they are told, be it from a politician, a priest or a Poohbcarrot.

Here's an interesting challenge for you Tony (or anyone else - but not Jan).

Give me any three reasons as to why you are convinced by the "official 9/11 story".

I will then try to sow seeds of doubt in your mind in at least one of the reasons, and then ask you if you are still 100% convinced.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 am

I'm not going to bite, sorry Pooh. I do think that sometimes we have to believe what we are told, although scepticism is healthy, it can be taken too far. Conspiracy theorists will never believe no matter what evidence you show them. :D
Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:31 am

Tonyblack wrote:Conspiracy theorists will never believe no matter what evidence you show them. :D

You're right Tony.

You believe in a theory that was put forward by a group that have a track record of lying ie; The Bush Administration. No matter what evidence I show you to the contrary, you will never change your mind. :wink:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby bogieman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:09 am

poohbcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Conspiracy theorists will never believe no matter what evidence you show them. :D

You're right Tony.

You believe in a theory that was put forward by a group that have a track record of lying ie; The Bush Administration. No matter what evidence I show you to the contrary, you will never change your mind. :wink:

But it is only a conspiracy theory to the person that thinks it is and a fact to the other person. Therefore you need to change the evidence not the mind of the person. Take the JFK incident there is a small puff of something on the grassy knoll and the autopsy states the angle of the bullet trajectory as not 100% in line with the accused shooter. Ok I am not saying the Conspiracy theorists are correct but they do have enough information to question the results.
:P
bogieman

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 am

Exactly!

A healthy open mind is all I'm advocating.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:28 am

An open mind certainly, but sometimes in life you have to believe things even without evidence.

I have no evidence that if I was to go into a cage with a tiger that I'd get killed, but I'm told it's a bad idea and logic seems to suggest it even without actual proof. So no tigers for me. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:53 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:I think that people shouldn't believe blindly in what they are told, be it from a politician, a priest or a Poohbcarrot.

Here's an interesting challenge for you Tony (or anyone else - but not Jan).

Give me any three reasons as to why you are convinced by the "official 9/11 story".

:roll: I don't know whether to be insulted or 'honoured'

Where you on the wine at this point per chance? :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum