Jubilee Celebrations

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Jubilee Celebrations

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 am

My new hiking boots arrived tried them on they're comfy, like you Penners weather permiting I going to check out some walks probably north of Stirling next week. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Catch-up » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am

Sounds very exciting!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:
They certainly do, they were out on the 30th May to welcome the Olympic torch. I posted photos in the 2012 pictures thread.

Great stuff :D Could never accuse them of being effeminate! Used to know a couple of guys in the team. Cracked walnuts with their eyelids :D
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Big Aggie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 pm

There dosen't seem to be any celebrations going on in my area, perhaps it will start tomorrow. :lol: :lol:
I'll tak' yer heid aff, ya big pile o'jobbies.
Big Aggie

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:My new hiking boots arrived tried them on they're comfy, like you Penners weather permiting I going to check out some walks probably north of Stirling next week. :)

I always find it a good idea to break them in by wearing them around the house. Better to find any spots that rub at home rather than 10 miles into a hike. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:13 pm

That's what I have been doing Tony and wore them around town today, just rubbing a little bit above the ankle on the outside and I have not laced them too tightly,need to get some wax into them as well to soften them a bit otherwise I'm happy with them. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:22 pm

On my phone here. Snuggled up on the couch. Nearly 11:30pm and the river gala is about to begin. What a miserable day for you lot. Still... so looking forward to watching this. :D
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:05 pm

And after hours of watching... the image that shall stay with me forever is the singers of the London Phyl Orchestra standing on top of their boat... rain lashing down in sheets on them, sodden! as they valiantly sang Land Of Hope And Glory and the echo of hundreds of voices in the crowd singing along. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

And then the rain got heavier ... and heavier.. and heavier :lol: :lol:

I daresay HRH is off to have a nice hot cuppa.

Well done London ! :clap:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Antiq » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:08 pm

I watched it all :D Loved it to bits for it's whole historical nature. I even liked that it rained, it made the scene look even London-ier in a way. One of my favourite bits was the Horrible Histories lesson :lol: (I love Horrible Histories). Gotta hand to ma'am, she's a trooper. Don't think you would get me, or most people, to stand for hours in rain and wind at 86, and himself 90-something.
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Postby janet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 am

Two moments for me, the soaking wet singers on the barge still managing to smile and put their all into their singing and Joey, the War Horse cantering across the roof of the National Theatre and rearing in salute to HM. She was thrilled by that if the beaming smile is anything to go by.
janet

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 am

Didn't watch any of it but heard about this :D :D

spideyGirl

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

:lol: Loved the Horrible History! Although that guy is a little creepy. :shock: I'd love to see video of the War Horse. I'll have to look around on YouTube.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby janet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:09 pm

janet

Postby Toothy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Del wrote:And after hours of watching... the image that shall stay with me forever is the singers of the London Phyl Orchestra standing on top of their boat... rain lashing down in sheets on them, sodden! as they valiantly sang Land Of Hope And Glory and the echo of hundreds of voices in the crowd singing along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: Yes, I couldn't help thinking that the ladies' hair probably looked impeccable when they started out. By the time they reached the Royal Barge, they looked like drowned rats, but I was proud of them - they sang with gusto and no hint that they were remotely bothered by their appearance. HM the Q will definitely have gone off for a good ol' cuppa afterwards, although probably served in a proper china cup with saucer and a dainty sice of cake. Go, Brits! :D

We saw quite a bit of the procession, but then had to head off for Bro-in-law's 50th birthday bash which was an eclectic mix of a live band, tap dance performed by his talented daughter, raffle, disco, witty speeches, delicious hog roast, couple of hits sung brilliantly by friends of his daughter and... quasi 'Morris Men' dancing by the birthday boy and friends (in full regalia). Yup, it was unique and much fun, albeit very loud...I SAID, IT WAS VERY LOUD! ;) :D
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Will of Lancre » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 pm

This morning we (me and Mrs Will) were in a choir singing "Zadok the Priest" and Parry's "I Was Glad" and "Jerusalem" in a special Jubilee Service in Luxembourg Cathedral.

100 people or so were in the congregation: not a full house, but not a bad turnout considering it isn't a holiday here.

The closing organ piece was Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance March - so we all joined in with Land of Hope and Glory, much to the locals' bemusement. :D
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum