Regarding Wordpress...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Regarding Wordpress...

Postby Homeless Hublander » Sat May 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi, recently I tried to set up a wordpress account, and I opened up the "famous 5 minute set up" page, was presented with all that technological stuff, and promtly gave up. Now I'm here to do the lazy thing - find someone with a sufficient technological knowledge, bombard them with questions, and see if they can make any sense of it all for me.
Ok, granted it really isn't that bad, but this way it sounds more interesting ;)
Basically, I spotted a few words in there regarding servers, etc, and I was wondering if any of you guys know if it requires any port forwarding, or paying for a server, or just if it is possible to run it off a computer normally without having to fiddle with innumerable settings that -for all I know- could do anything?
cheers for any help,
Hublander.
Come check out my (fairly) regularly udated blog - it has words and everything! Honest!
http://rstbt.blogspot.co.uk/
Homeless Hublander

Re: Regarding Wordpress...

Postby spideyGirl » Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Hublander, I've only ever used Wordpress on a separate web hosting plan. Can you provide more details of what the set up says? :)

If I don't answer tonight its cos I've gone to bed but if you still need help tomorrow I can try and help.
spideyGirl

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat May 05, 2012 10:27 pm

I've got a Wordpress account and you just upload things like pics from your computer to their server and/or use their in-house 'furniture' - themes and stuff which is already on their server so you're effectively copy/pasting most things from one area to your own.

They do have tutorials there as well, but it's not a lot different to what you do on a forum or a photo storage site once you get used to it. And they have a souped up edit button so you can always go back in correct stuff! ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat May 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Try YouTube: Wordpress account set up.

Good luck! ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Homeless Hublander » Mon May 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for the help all of you - I'll have a look at all the things you suggested, and if it doesn't work then I'll come back to you spidey. :D Sorry about taking a while to get back to you all as well, it's just down to my pc having a few.....issues...revolving around it deciding that I wasn't paying it enough and refusing to turn on :)
cheers,
Hublander.
Come check out my (fairly) regularly udated blog - it has words and everything! Honest!
Homeless Hublander

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

:lol: I don't even know what Wordpress is. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon May 07, 2012 7:34 pm

It's a hoopy blogging site
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Tue May 08, 2012 9:32 am

Homeless Hublander wrote:........it's just down to my pc having a few.....issues...revolving around it deciding that I wasn't paying it enough and refusing to turn on :)

Sounds just like my ex girlfriend. ;) I'm sorry I can't help you, but like Tony, I have no idea what Wordpress is.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Batty » Tue May 08, 2012 11:55 am

Penfold wrote:
Homeless Hublander wrote:........it's just down to my pc having a few.....issues...revolving around it deciding that I wasn't paying it enough and refusing to turn on :)

Sounds just like my ex girlfriend. ;) I'm sorry I can't help you, but like Tony, I have no idea what Wordpress is.

It's never a good sign, when you can't turn on your girlfriend! :lol:

Did you try twiddling with her knobs - or didn't she need adjusting??? ;)
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Batty wrote:
Penfold wrote:

It's never a good sign, when you can't turn on your girlfriend! :lol:

Did you try twiddling with her knobs - or didn't she need adjusting??? ;)

I'm not suprised!

revolving around it?????

Wasn't paying it enough????

The whole dating thing must be a bit different up there than it is here.... or else I have been dating completely the wrong men!

Am I supposed to "revolve" too? And at what rate? I do get dizzy quite quickly.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Homeless Hublander » Tue May 08, 2012 3:03 pm

:lol:
Homeless Hublander

Return to The Broken Drum