your money

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: your money

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sat May 05, 2012 7:57 pm

I have to get gluten free bread for a full size loaf it's about £3, less if it's the tiny kind.

Scottish bank notes look different from English ones (I'd take a photo but I don't actually have any notes!) and apparently they're not legal tender. I know they didn't accept them when we had to pay our visas into Turkey a few years ago - had to have them exchanged into lira and then back into Bank of England notes. My dad was really offended as a Scotsman. xD
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat May 05, 2012 8:23 pm

They are legal tender but very prone to forgeries which is why a lot of places won't take them (especially the £20 note)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat May 05, 2012 8:44 pm

The situation as it stands today.
The legal position with regard to Scottish Banknotes is as follows:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland. In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 pm

The Scottish banks have Bank of England notes to back up the notes they issue, I hear...Billion pound notes and suchlike. Mental.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Volkolak » Sun May 06, 2012 4:15 am

hmmmm.... Scotland - is a part of Great Britain? and Scotland have self currency? interesting) in Russia, we have single currency - rubles. and it is official money on all area in Russia: in Altaj and Chukotka, and Moscow.... everywhere)
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

эээ....а кто-нибудь тут Русский знает? = )
Volkolak

Postby Tonyblack » Sun May 06, 2012 4:28 am

There are three banks that issue notes in Scotland: Royal Bank of Scotland, Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank. You can see the notes HERE.

To make things even more complicated, banks in Northern Ireland also issue their own notes HERE.

And then the Isle of Man has its own notes : Image

And also the Channel Islands. They also have their own versions of the coins. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Volkolak » Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 am

funny)) :D :D
Vita Brevis, ars-longa!

эээ....а кто-нибудь тут Русский знает? = )
Volkolak

Postby raptornx01 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:40 am

heh, it must depend on the brand and where you buy stuff that effects the cost. where I work sugar is about $1 (give or take, and white bread is $1.18 (though stuff like wonder bread can be $2)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby michelanCello » Sun May 06, 2012 8:31 am

The Hungarian Forint... we used to have 1 and 2 Ft coins but they were taken in a couple of years ago...
Mind you, befor the Ft we had the Pengő, along with the biggest inflation in history :P
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Conforumist » Sun May 06, 2012 10:08 am

Here's what the current Canadian Currency looks like:

These are discontinued. We now have the "loonie" and "twonnie".

The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 pm

One thing about banknotes has always puzzled me.

In Britain our banknotes are different sizes, to help folk with failing sight to differentiate, but some countries' bank notes are all the same size. I know many blind folk fold them differently, but what happens when you get new notes? How can a blind person know whether they have been ripped off by con artists?

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Good question and I'll tell you the answer. They train guide dogs to count the money. The different coloured inks on the banknotes have a unique smell and the dogs can tell the difference between $5 and $50 for example. :shifty: .
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:They train guide dogs to count the money. The different coloured inks on the banknotes have a unique smell and the dogs can tell the difference between $5 and $50 for example. :shifty: .

What if a blind person doesn't have a guide dog?
And how do they do it in the US where all banknotes are more or less the same colour?
cheery_j.

Postby eric » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 am

cheery_j. wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:They train guide dogs to count the money. The different coloured inks on the banknotes have a unique smell and the dogs can tell the difference between $5 and $50 for example. :shifty: .

What if a blind person doesn't have a guide dog?
And how do they do it in the US where all banknotes are more or less the same colour?

It's still the same in the US. Sighted people may not realise this, but amongst the vision impaired, the $US5 is the bacon, the $US10 the apple pie, etc. And the vision impaired don't need a dog to sniff this out, because their senses are more developed to compensate for the lost of sight.

That's not true of course. People with vision impairment can't tell one US note from another if they haven't marked the notes themselves in some way like folding.
eric

Postby Conforumist » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 am

I've known blind people which could actually feel the raised ink on the paper.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum