Shaving

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Shaving

Postby Bickaxe » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm

BatrickPatrick wrote:apparently conditioner (for hair) is good.

I've been told this too, not tried it
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Toothy » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 pm

A good source tells me that this would work like pre-shave, I.e. it affects the tough outer cuticle layer of the hair and makes it lift so that the hair is easier to cut and can be cut closer to the skin. Allegedly. Trouble is, pre-shave products for electric shavers are becoming harder to find apparently.
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby janet » Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm

MongoGutman wrote:Two or three times a year I cut my own hair, beard included with some braun clippers - a 3mill all over seems to do the trick - I figure it saves me over a grand a year: not that I used to spend that much getting my hair cut, but I reckon if you're not going to get your hair cut at a hairdressers you might as well not get it cut by Vidal Sassoon as not get it cut by Carlos the scissors at the local barber shop...

I've watched how my hair is cut by the people I've paid to do it and have done it myself for a while. I use scissors and a friendly daughter for the twiddly bits round the back but reciprocate by doing the daughter's hair when she gives in and lets me! Trouble is that I'd really love to have my hair done by someone else but the numbers dictate food or vanity.
If anyone has a spare grand that's roughly what HMRC reckons I owe them :oops: :(
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Sister Jennifer » Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Oh Gawd, my Mum cut my hair throughout my childhood. I can laugh about it now but it used to be quite traumatic looking at photo's, especially ones from school. There's me, diagonal fringe and lop-sided ends. I asked her once if it was a cost thing and she told me rather breezily that everyone cut their kid's hair in the 70's. Oh, did they now? I mean, for God's sake :doh:. Needless to say I've never cut a hair on my kid's heads.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Batty » Tue May 08, 2012 11:50 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:Oh Gawd, my Mum cut my hair throughout my childhood. I can laugh about it now but it used to be quite traumatic looking at photo's, especially ones from school. There's me, diagonal fringe and lop-sided ends. I asked her once if it was a cost thing and she told me rather breezily that everyone cut their kid's hair in the 70's. Oh, did they now? I mean, for God's sake :doh:. Needless to say I've never cut a hair on my kid's heads.

Our mum cut our hair.
She couldn't cut straight to save her life, so as our hair got shorter and shorter as she tried to correct her sloping cut, we told her that 'it was fine', or that 'it'd do', and we used to hold our heads at an angle, so that the cut looked straight!

To this day, I still hold my head slightly at an angle!! :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Tue May 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Tiffany wrote:The worst is the hairs that grow on my chin, they are a ruddy nuisance, I have to attack those with tweezers.
Getting old is the pits!
I hear you ! As it nears Christmas every year I consider letting them "go"..... holiday rates as a Santa are bloody great you know! And I wouldn't have to wear a fake beard! :lol:

Janet wrote:Trouble is that I'd really love to have my hair done by someone else but the numbers dictate food or vanity.
The adult daughter took me for a treat after the court case a few weeks ago.... we went to the "School of Hairdressing" Paid $12 for a style cut. Would have cost me $80 in a hairdresser. She has hair to her waist and got a trim. Afterwards she asked me "How come YOU got three supervisors on your cutting?" I told her... I got an intricate cut done. ;) As it was intricate the supervisors wanted to keep a close eye on the cutter AND step in alot to show some of the other girls HOW to cut it.... so basically it got checked every three snips of the scissors :D I'm not as silly as I look! :lol:

We also have great cheaper hairdresser around here where you dont make an appointment and you take the cutter you get... $10. Not bad. Most are Asian and they are VERY good at cutting.

NOW! Shaving!
Toothy wrote:A good source tells me that this would work like pre-shave, I.e. it affects the tough outer cuticle layer of the hair and makes it lift so that the hair is easier to cut and can be cut closer to the skin.

So true Toothy. See thats what you guys are doing wrong! Jools (was it Jools?) who has the hot face towel treatment has it right. You need to soften the whiskers FIRST before you shave them. Who was it that said they shave in the shower? Another good idea. The hot water and steam does the same thing. Thats where us girls have you men beat for shaving our legs.... the hot water runs down over the legs while we..... do other stuff... then we shave.

Now personally, when I am about to shave, I take a long hot shower, shampoo and condition my hair first, brush my teeth, and by this time the water has had a chance to relax and soften the follicles. The hot water has also had a chance to relax my back and arm muscles, so that when I am ready I can twist that extra little bit to get EVERY single stroke as the razor runs the full length of my back.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Joolz » Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 pm

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Is that what you call ambidexterous double jointed reverse shaving Del. :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby janet » Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Batty wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:Oh Gawd, my Mum cut my hair throughout my childhood. I can laugh about it now but it used to be quite traumatic looking at photo's, especially ones from school. There's me, diagonal fringe and lop-sided ends. I asked her once if it was a cost thing and she told me rather breezily that everyone cut their kid's hair in the 70's. Oh, did they now? I mean, for God's sake :doh:. Needless to say I've never cut a hair on my kid's heads.

Our mum cut our hair.
She couldn't cut straight to save her life, so as our hair got shorter and shorter as she tried to correct her sloping cut, we told her that 'it was fine', or that 'it'd do', and we used to hold our heads at an angle, so that the cut looked straight!

Oh gods...I was that mum too but my excuse was that we lived a good way out from any kind of shops let alone hairdressers so I took to the scissors for convenience. My poor little girl sported a version of the 'pudden basin' look until we made a friend through Mums and Toddlers. She had three girls and a bit of a talent for cutting hair so we worked out a barter system which meant that my talents (modest) for home baking could buy a regular trim for daughter and me. The fun bit was that she and her many friends enjoyed more than the odd smoke of the wacky baccy variety which meant that passive smoking could have us giggling all the way home. I know.....bad mother :shock: But I never partook (or needed to!!!) and neither of us smoke anything nowadays.
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Where I grew up, it was a brand new council estate in the late 50s with almost no ammenities at all. It was a bus ride to get anywhere 'civilised'. All the dads and a lot f the mums had little 'fiddle' jobs on the side. My dad, for example, swept chimneys, another guy did glazing. But there was also a guy, who worked as a plumber for the council, whose side line was cutting hair. Looking back on it, he was pretty dreadful and only did 'one' style of cut. He also didn't do girls, so my sister got her hair cut properly. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raptornx01 » Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 am

Del wrote:The adult daughter took me for a treat after the court case a few weeks ago.... we went to the "School of Hairdressing" Paid $12 for a style cut. Would have cost me $80 in a hairdresser. She has hair to her waist and got a trim. Afterwards she asked me "How come YOU got three supervisors on your cutting?" I told her... I got an intricate cut done. ;) As it was intricate the supervisors wanted to keep a close eye on the cutter AND step in alot to show some of the other girls HOW to cut it.... so basically it got checked every three snips of the scissors :D I'm not as silly as I look! :lol:

:lol: I usually just buzzcut my hair myself, but if i get it done i go to this beauty school in my area. $5 for men's cuts. the only down side is the guys give me grief everytime. like, "Why would you want to cut it?". I havea very thick head of hair and always get compliments so having to cut it gets treated like a tragedy. :lol: To me it can be a pain though.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby jaznbonnie » Wed May 09, 2012 4:37 pm

janet wrote:
Batty wrote:

Our mum cut our hair.

Oh gods...I was that mum too but my excuse was that we lived a good way out from any kind of shops let alone hairdressers so I took to the scissors for convenience. My poor little girl sported a version of the 'pudden basin' look until we made a friend through Mums and Toddlers. She had three girls and a bit of a talent for cutting hair so we worked out a barter system which meant that my talents (modest) for home baking could buy a regular trim for daughter and me. The fun bit was that she and her many friends enjoyed more than the odd smoke of the wacky baccy variety which meant that passive smoking could have us giggling all the way home. I know.....bad mother :shock: But I never partook (or needed to!!!) and neither of us smoke anything nowadays.

My mum put scotch tape across our bangs to get an "even" cut. Then took it off and "cleaned up" the stragglers. :roll: And when we got a bit older my aunt did our perms. Usually I ended up looking a bit like Orphan Annie. ;) :lol:
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby spideyGirl » Wed May 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Like this Jaz? :P
spideyGirl

Postby jaznbonnie » Wed May 09, 2012 8:33 pm

spideyGirl wrote:Like this Jaz? :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or this without so much red:

Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Del » Fri May 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Batty wrote:

Our mum cut our hair.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ this hair cut I got the other day...... I just realised :lol: :lol: :lol: its got a lopsided fringe! And I asked for it!!!! Its a bit like this on the fringe... shorter at the back and sides though...

fringe.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Look... girls.... I had five older sisters... and we lived way out west.. no hairdressers. So the sisters always did it. But mums golden rule was: NO fringes! Because if you dont have a fringe then you cant have a crooked fringe! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum