Shaving

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Shaving

Postby pip » Fri May 04, 2012 10:45 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:It gets rave reviews for close shaveyness.

I didn't review it :naughty: :naughty:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 04, 2012 10:50 am

Dotsie wrote:Wax! :D

Yes it's bloody painful, but it's over quickly.

I get my eyebrows waxed regularly. Under arms when I notice hairyness, legs I shave periodically. The rest of my body stays hairy, where it still grows that is.
The worst is the hairs that grow on my chin, they are a ruddy nuisance, :evil: I have to attack those with tweezers.
Getting old is the pits! :violin:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 am

I use a Gillette fusion pro 6 blade and gel ,don't like the foam much you can't see what your shaving, it lasts for ages and gives a really close shave the extra blade is a neat touch for precision shaving. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby RJH » Fri May 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Once a week if i'm lucky, always wanted a beard but got more chances of growing a pair of boobs then I have a beard. To say I'm not a hairy man is an understatement. :(
RJH

Postby raptornx01 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 pm

my electric razor always gave me a smooth shave..... well, it did, but i need new blades :?

Dotsie wrote:Wax! :D

Yes it's bloody painful, but it's over quickly.

screw that, its nair or nothing for me if i decide to lighten the load in other areas.

.....what?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby spideyGirl » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

When I was a teenager, I wanted to shave my legs but the folks wouldn't buy me anything to use (the gits) so I used one my Dad's disposable Bic razors (the white and yellow ones) and nearly sliced my leg off! I've still got the scars. :violin:
spideyGirl

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 pm

:lol: Those early BIC disposables were vicious.

The thing that makes me laugh is the adverts. Years ago were were told that single blade razors were rubbish and TWO blades would give us the "closest shave ever". Then they decided that two blades couldn't possibly get as close as THREE blades, which would give us the "closest shave ever" - then we needed to get FOUR blades for the "closest shave ever".

If they are right, any more should take a layer of skin off every time we shave. :lol:

I forgot to mention that, although my razor has four blades, it also has another single blade at the top for trimming sideburns and beards - I find it useful for getting at those few whiskers just under my nose that the four blades can't get near.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby wicked woman » Fri May 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Try pulling them out with tweezers Tony. (evil giggle).
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 04, 2012 1:58 pm

wicked woman wrote:Try pulling them out with tweezers Tony. (evil giggle).

I've done that - it's kind of fun, but makes me sneeze. :mrgreen:
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 pm

i shave for weddings and funerals and then only under duress, i hate it :ugeek:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raisindot » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Oooooh! You've mentioned one of my favorite subjects!

After years of trying different expensive three/four/five blade razors, I've actually gone "retro-sexual" and now shaved nearly exclusively with 'old school' double-edge single blade razors like your grandpa used to use.

There's a very large community of us really strange people who look (and often pay lotsa money for) Gillette DE razors from the 1940s-1960s. Initially, we chose this method because 1) DE blades do give a much closer shave than cartridges and 2)a typical DE blade costs between 10-25 cents vs. $2-$3 for your typical Gillete multi-blade monstrosity. However, being that DE shaving is also a hobby, you inevitably get sucked into spending $20-$40 for a razor, $10-$50 for shaving soap, and sometimes hundreds of dollars for a brush (you just can't use your typical canned goo when shaving this way--DE shaving isn't just for getting rid of whiskers--it's an EXPERIENCE.

If you're really into a really pleasant, old school experience it's definitely worth trying.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Those double edged razors were going out of fashion when I started shaving. My first razor was a Gillette Techmatic:

You had to wind on the blae when it got dull as the thing was in a sort of ribbon. I must admit, I've always fancied trying the old double edged razor, but I guess I've been a victim of hype over the years. :?
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri May 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Those double edged razors were going out of fashion when I started shaving. My first razor was a Gillette Techmatic:

You had to wind on the blae when it got dull as the thing was in a sort of ribbon. I must admit, I've always fancied trying the old double edged razor, but I guess I've been a victim of hype over the years. :?

Oh god--the Techmatic. I found one of these at a garage sale. Bought if for a quarter. Tried to sell it on Ebay. Didn't get a single bite. Some things don't appreciate in value.

Try a DE razor, Tony. Whether you're in the UK or Tucson, you're bound to find one at an antiques store or flea market for a few bucks (or bobs). It takes a little getting used to, but once you do, you may find yourself never wanting to go back to plastic.
raisindot

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm

You mean one of those?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby raisindot » Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Yes.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum