Chopper Read dying...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Chopper Read dying...

Postby Quatermass » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 pm

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/04/27/Chopper_Read_has_only_weeks_to_live_743960.html

Whoa. Icepicks, shanks, none of these could get him, and now thanks to Hep C, Chopper is dying of liver cancer. :?

Any remarks?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Re: Chopper Read dying...

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I have the DVD of the Chopper movie and have only watched it once. I don't know how close the characterisation is, but I thought he was a most unpleasant person with very few, if any, saving graces. Try as hard as I can, I can't find myself bothered by the news. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:18 am

Tonyblack wrote:I have the DVD of the Chopper movie and have only watched it once. I don't know how close the characterisation is, but I thought he was a most unpleasant person with very few, if any, saving graces. Try as hard as I can, I can't find myself bothered by the news. :?

He claims he was shafted by the makers of the movie in terms of what happened. He makes no bones about the fact that he's a killer and a toecutter (someone who tortures other criminals for their money), though. He's just got this sort of perverse charm to him.

And besides, Tony, Aussies idolise Ned Kelly. A horse thief, cop killer (albeit at a time when the police were often corrupt), and bank robber. Remember The Last Continent?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby meerkat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24 am

Never seen the film, never heard of this guy, and any way "Beware your sins shall find thee out!" Always a good one to remember.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:58 am

Mick Jagger played Ned Kelly in it. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby AuntyVague » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:55 am

Quatermass wrote:And besides, Tony, Aussies idolise Ned Kelly.

Not those of us who want to live a long and healthy life with a peaceful ending...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21771558
AuntyVague

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 pm

AuntyVague wrote:
Quatermass wrote:And besides, Tony, Aussies idolise Ned Kelly.

Not those of us who want to live a long and healthy life with a peaceful ending...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21771558

What? :lol:

Seriously, that study should win an Ig Nobel Prize... :roll:

Are there any similar studies of tattoos of Ita Buttrose? :|

Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Quatermass wrote:Seriously, that study should win an Ig Nobel Prize... :roll:

Social scientists need something to do, Q (although a better use of their time would be thinking up a job title without the word "scientist" in it)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Dotsie wrote:Social scientists need something to do, Q (although a better use of their time would be thinking up a job title without the word "scientist" in it)

Oooo, you're right. Social scientist is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? :D
raisindot

Postby Quatermass » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 pm

raisindot wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Social scientists need something to do, Q (although a better use of their time would be thinking up a job title without the word "scientist" in it)

Oooo, you're right. Social scientist is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it? :D

Oh, the humanities! :o

Quatermass

Postby Del » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I have the DVD of the Chopper movie and have only watched it once. I don't know how close the characterisation is, but I thought he was a most unpleasant person with very few, if any, saving graces. Try as hard as I can, I can't find myself bothered by the news. :?

He claims he was shafted by the makers of the movie in terms of what happened. He makes no bones about the fact that he's a killer and a toecutter (someone who tortures other criminals for their money), though. He's just got this sort of perverse charm to him.

And besides, Tony, Aussies idolise Ned Kelly. A horse thief, cop killer (albeit at a time when the police were often corrupt), and bank robber. Remember The Last Continent?

Chopper also once boasted that he'd killed 19 people

Good! Hope he dies quickly.... or maybe its better its drags out. If he reckons the film didn't portray him properly its most probably because was even worse than what they showed. Evil man who was feted by the press in the most deplorable way. He has NO perverse charm to him Q. He's a psychopathic killer.

Aussies idolise Ned Kelly
I don't. Never understood that. He is related to my mum. She kept it a huge secret most of her life because she was so ashamed. As she used to put it.... "That whole Kelly clan were vicious b******ds the lot of them"
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Not to dismiss your opinion, Del, but Chopper's victims were all criminals of one sort or another (or at least according to him, anyway). Plus, some of his contemporaries reckon that he inflated the amount of people he had killed in order to boost his reputation in the underworld, and the figure may be lower anyway.

Ah, never mind. :?

And in case you don't understand that whole thing about Ned Kelly, Del, Aussies have a strange knack of glorifying their criminals. Not that it's actually unique to Aussies. Look at England with Robin Hood or Dick Turpin, or at the US with the various gunslingers like Doc Holliday. :?

Quatermass

Postby Del » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Nope. I don't glorify gangsters, or criminals or bullies. There is always a victim of some sort. And I agree about him inflating the figures. But isnt one enough?

That whole glorification thing might also be why I refused to watch "Underbelly" and why (after the events of the past few weeks here in Queensland) I wont be watching "Biker Wars" or whatever its called.

Talking of which.... is it just me?... or is anyone else disturbed that they run one of the biggest locksmith franchises here in Qld. I am neither her nor there about the tattoo parlours.... but locksmiths?
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Mrs Ogg » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I'm an Aussie and can't stand the man!
Mrs Ogg

Postby Quatermass » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Del wrote:Talking of which.... is it just me?... or is anyone else disturbed that they run one of the biggest locksmith franchises here in Qld. I am neither her nor there about the tattoo parlours.... but locksmiths?

Yeah, that is pretty freaky. :?

Speaking of bikies, I was disturbed when I heard of a shooting at Robina Town Centre on Saturday, apparently part of a Bikie War. A bikie caught a bullet in the arm, and an innocent woman got hit. Thankfully, she's not dead, but must be a traumatic experience for her children.

Quatermass

Return to The Broken Drum