Irish presenter refuses retraction of F-Word

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Irish presenter refuses retraction of F-Word

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:11 pm

http://www.thejournal.ie/no-apology-no- ... itter_self

Radio presenter Ray D’Arcy has refused to offer an apology or retraction to the “hierarchy of the Catholic Church” for telling listeners of his TodayFM show last week that the “Catholic Church, in many ways, has f*****d up this country”.

However, D’Arcy did offer an apology to listeners for the language he used.

“It was inexcusable, especially at that time of the morning,” he said, adding that he had offered the same apology twice on Friday for the choice of words.

“I got a bit agitated when reading about the comments by Michelle Mulherin,” he explained. “And that got me on to the influence of the Church in this country.”

D’Arcy addressed the matter on his show this morning after Irish bishops demanded a full apology and retraction from the broadcaster for what they called his “insulting” remarks.

Speaking just after 9am, he said that no such apology or retraction would be forthcoming.

However, he added that he meant no offence to the many “devout Catholics, like my mother” up and down the country.

The Kildare man said he was referring to the hierarchy of the Catholic Church and that the damage to this country caused by such men is well-documented.

D’Arcy said that he wanted to address what he called the “hoo-ha” over his remarks, stating that the show had received more emails on the topic than on any other issue in the past 12 years.

Many listeners agreed with the presenter’s refusal to apologise but others expressed their disappointment at his decision not to retract his statement. One person emailed the show, accusing D’Arcy of taking part in a “media wide agenda” against the Catholic Church.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Irish presenter refuses retraction of F-Word

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Was it the word or the comment they objected to? If he'd said: 'Catholic Church, in many ways, has fecked up this country', would they have been less critical?

"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:35 pm

Ray D'Arcy is a great presenter. The Irish radio interview with Terry i posted here was done by him.
Slip of the tongue with the language but the sentiment is one felt by a very large part of the population here.
We're owed a huge apology by the catholic church here and in rome. Those giving out about Ray's attack aside from the bad language on a morning show are being percieved as religious nuts or dinosaurs .
Most rational people here would agree with the sentiment to be honest.
Ireland has gone from being under the Catholic thumb to a very secular state very quickly in the last few years and the percentage of actual practicing catholics is very small now.
:D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Was it the word or the comment they objected to? If he'd said: 'Catholic Church, in many ways, has fecked up this country', would they have been less critical?

Careful Now :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

We don't want a visit from Len. :D
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Big Aggie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Coming from a half Irish catholic half Scots Protestant family, I am laughing my Feckin head off :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll tak' yer heid aff, ya big pile o'jobbies.
Big Aggie

Postby meerkat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Takes a brave man to stand up and say that! Well, it's a two way fight now t'ween Mr D'arcy and the RC Church.

Oooh, glad I am not particularly religious!

Now, where's me sharp blade, pentangle ;) and me nanta bag? I put that black candle somewhere!...
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby BobtheDrog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Ray is not a man to pick a fight with, he has aliens on his side (it's possible only the Irish will get this one)
BobtheDrog

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 pm

He was'nt abducted by them was he. ;)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby BobtheDrog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

no merely spent a portion of his television career with 2 of them and their puppy
BobtheDrog

Postby meerkat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm

For a nasty moment there I thought he had something to do with Blue Peter!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Wait a mo! was it Zig and Zag . :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm

BobtheDrog wrote:no merely spent a portion of his television career with 2 of them and their puppy

Doctor Who, Romana, and K9?

BTW, what's wrong with Blue Peter, Meerkat? :think:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby spideyGirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 am

pip wrote:Ray D'Arcy is a great presenter. The Irish radio interview with Terry i posted here was done by him.
Slip of the tongue with the language but the sentiment is one felt by a very large part of the population here.
We're owed a huge apology by the catholic church here and in rome. Those giving out about Ray's attack aside from the bad language on a morning show are being percieved as religious nuts or dinosaurs .
Most rational people here would agree with the sentiment to be honest.
Ireland has gone from being under the Catholic thumb to a very secular state very quickly in the last few years and the percentage of actual practicing catholics is very small now.
:D

Glad to hear it Pip, I considered myself a recovering catholic for quite some time before therapy :D
spideyGirl

Postby pip » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Wait a mo! was it Zig and Zag . :mrgreen:

Ray did have the privelage of working with Zig and Zag and Zuppy as well as Snottser Galligan and Dustin the Turkey :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to The Broken Drum