St George's Day

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: St George's Day

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 11, 2012 8:35 am

high eight wrote:Every time England are in some sort of sporting event you can't move for ruddy St George's flags round my way. I'm seriously thinking of putting up an Iraqi one for the olympics, but most of the dimwits here wouldn't recognise it. :doh:

Are you Iraqi? If you are, then put your flag up. If you're not, that would be a bit strange.

I don't know what an Iraqi flag looks like. Why should I? :? There's a lot of flags, I don't know most of them.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9412
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: St George's Day

Postby Batty » Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 am

high eight wrote:Only to the Daily Mail.

That's simply not true. The Daily Mail has never objected to the flag being shown. You have simply jumped on the bandwagon of people who diss the paper.

The people who object to our flag are usually council officials and the PC brigade. ... Oh, and the EU, who insist that if someone flies a British Flag, then an EU flag must be flown with equal prominence!
Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Re: St George's Day

Postby Del » Fri May 11, 2012 12:03 pm

WE get a Public Holiday for Australia Day! :D And we eat lamb and go to the beach and generally have a ball.

And this year we get TWO Public Holidays for the Queens Birthday (and not one of them are ON the Queens Birthday!) :lol:

We also get a holiday for the show! :D (The agricultural show) Every town and city gets one on the day its their turn. I have seen Kirsty Alsop's crafty thingie TV show the last few weeks.... your shows are tiny huh? Ours are HUUUUUUGE!

Brisbane Exhibition (Brissy Ekka)
Ekka1.jpg

Ekka2.jpg

Ekka3.jpg
All made of fruit...there is a whole hall of these
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
User avatar
Del
Member
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

Re: St George's Day

Postby Batty » Fri May 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Yay! Del. You managed to post photo's!!! :clap: :clap:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Re: St George's Day

Postby Del » Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

And of course the Woodchopping and the Showbag Pavilion (more than 500 different bags last year)
Showbag Pavilion.jpg

Woodchopping2.jpg


Batty: I ahve always been able to post pics (off the net) I just cant post MINE! (without all the red writing and the TOO BIG TOO BIG! :roll:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
User avatar
Del
Member
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

Re: St George's Day

Postby Batty » Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Posting pics from a phone are too large, but from your computer should't be a problem.
Photobucket has an 'edit' button, which allows you to resize them.

Is your woodcutting competition similar to the Highland Games Tossing the Caber??
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Re: St George's Day

Postby high eight » Fri May 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Batty wrote:
high eight wrote:Only to the Daily Mail.

That's simply not true. The Daily Mail has never objected to the flag being shown. You have simply jumped on the bandwagon of people who diss the paper.

The people who object to our flag are usually council officials and the PC brigade. ... Oh, and the EU, who insist that if someone flies a British Flag, then an EU flag must be flown with equal prominence!
Image


No, I meant quite the opposite - the Daily Mail is always finding stories about people who object to putting up the flag, most of them of dubious veracity.

I don't jump on anybody's bandwagon - the Daily Mail lies, simple as that. http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/mail-blames-muslims-over-planning.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/doctors-advised-her-to-stay-in-hospital.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/ec-challenges-mail-over-english-tests.html
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
User avatar
high eight
Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: The Back of Beyond

Re: St George's Day

Postby high eight » Fri May 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Dotsie wrote:
high eight wrote:Every time England are in some sort of sporting event you can't move for ruddy St George's flags round my way. I'm seriously thinking of putting up an Iraqi one for the olympics, but most of the dimwits here wouldn't recognise it. :doh:

Are you Iraqi? If you are, then put your flag up. If you're not, that would be a bit strange.

I don't know what an Iraqi flag looks like. Why should I? :? There's a lot of flags, I don't know most of them.


I was just musing on all the 'jelly-bellied flag-flapping' (Kipling reference) that goes on down my way every time England prepare to get knocked out of a major sporting event and reacted to it in a suitably cynical way.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
User avatar
high eight
Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: The Back of Beyond

Re: St George's Day

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I don't see the problem with celebrating St George, or being English. It seems to me that the people who take exception are other English people. It's like the Campaign For Equal Heights. ;)

No one has ever suggested that the Welsh shouldn't celebrate St David's Day, or the Scots St Andrew's. Go for it says I and b*gger anyone who doesn't like it. ;)



Do the Taffs and the Jocks (said with love, by the way!) get a day off on David's and Andrew's days?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 11955
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: St George's Day

Postby Del » Fri May 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Woodchopping:

There are lots of different competions depending on the width of the block, if its standing or laying, upper cutting, overcutting,



even climbing up vertical ones and cutting the top off (my fav)

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
User avatar
Del
Member
 
Posts: 3368
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

Re: St George's Day

Postby Batty » Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 pm

high eight wrote:
Batty wrote:
high eight wrote:Only to the Daily Mail.

That's simply not true. The Daily Mail has never objected to the flag being shown. You have simply jumped on the bandwagon of people who diss the paper.

The people who object to our flag are usually council officials and the PC brigade. ... Oh, and the EU, who insist that if someone flies a British Flag, then an EU flag must be flown with equal prominence!
Image


No, I meant quite the opposite - the Daily Mail is always finding stories about people who object to putting up the flag, most of them of dubious veracity.

I don't jump on anybody's bandwagon - the Daily Mail lies, simple as that. http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/mail-blames-muslims-over-planning.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/doctors-advised-her-to-stay-in-hospital.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/ec-challenges-mail-over-english-tests.html

Ah. So the Daily Mail reports that other people have objected to various issues - Not necessarily about flag flying (which is what we are discussing) - and then the Daily Mail get blamed for reporting those objections?
They should obviously have their printing presses shut down immediately!
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

Re: St George's Day

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I don't see the problem with celebrating St George, or being English. It seems to me that the people who take exception are other English people. It's like the Campaign For Equal Heights. ;)

No one has ever suggested that the Welsh shouldn't celebrate St David's Day, or the Scots St Andrew's. Go for it says I and b*gger anyone who doesn't like it. ;)



Do the Taffs and the Jocks (said with love, by the way!) get a day off on David's and Andrew's days?

No, but as far as I know, kids get a half day off from school. Or at least they used to do when I was in school. In the morning we'd have the school Eisteddfod and we'd get the afternoon off. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28683
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: St George's Day

Postby high eight » Fri May 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Batty wrote:
high eight wrote:

No, I meant quite the opposite - the Daily Mail is always finding stories about people who object to putting up the flag, most of them of dubious veracity.

I don't jump on anybody's bandwagon - the Daily Mail lies, simple as that. http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/mail-blames-muslims-over-planning.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/doctors-advised-her-to-stay-in-hospital.html http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/ec-challenges-mail-over-english-tests.html

Ah. So the Daily Mail reports that other people have objected to various issues - Not necessarily about flag flying (which is what we are discussing) - and then the Daily Mail get blamed for reporting those objections?
They should obviously have their printing presses shut down immediately!


When the DM reports those objections inaccurately - yes, something should be done.

I couldn't find a 'flag' story but there have been plenty in the past - all part of that foaming-at-the-mouth extreme right patriotism that the Mail fosters.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
User avatar
high eight
Member
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: The Back of Beyond

Re: St George's Day

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Del wrote:Woodchopping:

There are lots of different competions depending on the width of the block, if its standing or laying, upper cutting, overcutting,



even climbing up vertical ones and cutting the top off (my fav)



Those guys really know how to use their choppers :D
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
User avatar
The Mad Collector
Member
 
Posts: 9897
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Ironbridge UK

Re: St George's Day

Postby Batty » Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 pm

high eight wrote:I couldn't find a 'flag' story but there have been plenty in the past - all part of that foaming-at-the-mouth extreme right patriotism that the Mail fosters.

If wanting to fly your country's flag makes you an extreme right-winger, then we will never agree about this issue!
The DM is certainly anti EU. I don't have a problem with that! The EU haven't signed off their accounts for 17 years, and are trading illegally.
That doesn't mean that I am anti anyone-who-isn't-British, though ... :roll:


edited for spelling.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
User avatar
Batty
Member
 
Posts: 4654
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: East Anglia

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests