More about everybody!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

More about everybody!

Postby Mattvwj » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi all!

I'm not sure if this has been done and if it has and i'm being especially dense, i'll take it down happily, but i was just intrigued to learn a bit more than everybody. Ages, locations, real names, family, jobs etc! Would be nice to put some details to names! :D

You can be as detailed or as vague as you like!

I'll go first, and try not to make it sound too much like an AA meeting.....

My Names Matt, obviously!

I'm 23, I live in a little town called Paignton, in the very misleadingly named English riviera!

I'm happily married, for the last 18 months, and have a beautiful little daughter called Sasha!

Oh and I work as a night porter in a hotel, hence the continual late posts, as its usually quiet here!

And i'm not an alcoholic.

:D
Cruel is a matter of perspective
Mattvwj

Re: More about everybody!

Postby Jason » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 am

OK, here goes:

My name is Jason (you might have already guessed that!)

I'm 40 and live in a small town named Woodley that is a couple of miles outside Reading (about 25 miles west of London).

I've been married for 15 years and have three daughters aged 13, 8 and 3. Last year my wife was diagnosed with ME / CFS and that has made serious changes to our ability to things. Things are improving as we all learn to cope with her illness.

I've worked in a medium sized noise reduction company since its inception back in 1993. In my spare time such as it is I write Discworld Monthly. I also administer these forums with the wonderful help of Tony Black and Toothy.

I'm not an alcoholic either. The only time I get to drink is at Discworld events. Normally I don't drink because I have to be Dad's taxi service to the aforementioned children.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:59 am

I'm Tony, I'm 53 and medically retired. I was born in Cardiff and have lived there most of my life, although these days I spend as much time as I can in Tucson, Arizona with Sharlene (who is swreader here on the board). We met on the old Harper Collins board after we started writing to each other after Sharlene got an advance readers copy of A Hat Full of Sky (she owned a book store at the time) and I managed to get a copy early as Tesco screwed up and put them on sale too early.

I worked for many years in the Post Office, starting as a postman and then taking the examination to become a postal officer. I was previously married, but got divorced about ten years ago. I have two grown up sons. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm Dotsie Galore, 27, and I work in a top secret government research facility. If I told you any more, I'd have to recruit you ;) Mr Dotsie is a famous modelslashactor. We live in bliss with our two darling bunnies (that at least is true).

My fantasy world is more interesting than my real one :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby meerkat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Interesting life you have,Dotise. ;)

I worked for a Government Establishment and I 'd have to shoot any one I told. That reminds me, must get my 00 number refreshed! :D :shhh:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:43 pm

I am retired & enjoying it & don't live a million miles from the OP, though to my knowledge we have never met. I like Paignton, it's good for shopping, specially in Winter & I have a free bus pass. :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Toothy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't reveal much on open boards, but I can disclose that my full time role is fang fairy to the various inhabitants of Uberwald. My name derives from Tooth Fairy but was shortened by the HC boardies to Toothy.

I am married to Mr Totty (his name being the result of a typo on the HC board which stuck) and have two female offspring, Elder Toothlet, aged 19, and Younger Toothlet, aged 16.

We live in a Hertfordshire village and I work for a charity. :D

My spare time doesn't exist. Other than providing taxi services for the Toothlets, I belong to 3 choirs and 3 local theatre groups, with overlaps in rehearsals (but so far not performances) which is a fun challenge, especially in the run up to Christmas each year and also any random Jubilees that might be in the offing. ;)

That's more than enough info... :shifty:
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Mattvwj » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Nice to put some details to names! :D its so much easier to talk to people!

Glad to know i'm not the only person who lives in or near this backwater tiffany! lovely for shopping, not so much for living haha!

Hope i haven't made anyone too uncomfortable, i'm just a naturally nosy person!

And dotsie, i was wondering if we could relocate to that fantasy world, sounds much more fun than this one! :D
Cruel is a matter of perspective
Mattvwj

Postby jaznbonnie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 am

My name is Bonnie (no real surprise there) and I live in Napa, California. I work the front desk of a dental office in Yountville and love having three day weekends. My hubby, MrE, and I are coming up on our 20th anniversary - second marriage for both of us. We have a grown son who has given us two adorable grandsons and a daughter who is Marine whose specialty is Data Networking. She and her husband currently have just welcomed a new addition to the family, a golden lab puppy. My hobbies include beading, cross-stitch, crochet, learning to knit, traveling, hiking and spending time at the beach.
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby Conforumist » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:58 am

jaznbonnie wrote:My name is Bonnie (no real surprise there) and I live in Napa, California. I work the front desk of a dental office in Yountville and love having three day weekends. My hubby, MrE, and I are coming up on our 20th anniversary - second marriage for both of us. We have a grown son who has given us two adorable grandsons and a daughter who is Marine whose specialty is Data Networking. She and her husband currently have just welcomed a new addition to the family, a golden lab puppy. My hobbies include beading, cross-stitch, crochet, learning to knit, traveling, hiking and spending time at the beach.

I have not been to that part of California, but the Napa Valley looks reeeeally nice! :)
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Following the lead of the Dotster... in ForumWorld I am Snowthorn and I am a 15,000 year old Ur-Elf of the Tolkien multiverse with orcish battle fetishes. I prefer the outdoorsy warrior life with high octane carnivorous picnics in mountainous regions where cute woodland animals fear to tread. Leisure pastimes include sucking bloo... I mean face with my homicidal other half (he's a former elf with hopes of becoming a warlock Boldog*) and long treks into desert hinterlands to capture Great Dragons to train up for our Dark Lord's Death Hunt. :character-jason:

I used to have a drink problem but these days I'm pretty clued up on how to use my lips without slavering and can quaff reasonably neatly... :twisted:

*an Orc with an particularly virulent evil spirit indweller
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby jaznbonnie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Conforumist wrote:
jaznbonnie wrote:My name is Bonnie (no real surprise there) and I live in Napa, California. I work the front desk of a dental office in Yountville and love having three day weekends. My hubby, MrE, and I are coming up on our 20th anniversary - second marriage for both of us. We have a grown son who has given us two adorable grandsons and a daughter who is Marine whose specialty is Data Networking. She and her husband currently have just welcomed a new addition to the family, a golden lab puppy. My hobbies include beading, cross-stitch, crochet, learning to knit, traveling, hiking and spending time at the beach.

I have not been to that part of California, but the Napa Valley looks reeeeally nice! :)

It is a very beautiful place and my favorite scenic seasons are spring when all is green and blooming or fall when the vines turn to rich hues of red and gold. The wine isn't too bad either. ;)
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby BatrickPatrick » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:46 pm

My name's not Patrick (because I'm really a girl and wear dresses and do other girly things) and my current occupation is sponge. I'm being taught how to cunningly artifice things from metals and plastics, and I'm trying to become a great High Renaissance painter in my spare time. Maybe one day I shall grow a beard as magnificent as da Vinci's. Found under a gooseberry bush, I was raised on porridge, Batman and Thundercats in South-East Scotland by six people masquerading as my parents and siblings.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby Dotsie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Mattvwj wrote:And dotsie, i was wondering if we could relocate to that fantasy world, sounds much more fun than this one! :D

There's room for everyone! :D

I am the Dotster! Raaaah!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby RJH » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:22 pm

My name is Richard. I am 30 years old from Sheffield, England. Been a Discworld fan since the early 90's when I was introduced to the series by my grandma. I have two full time jobs, during the day I do the admin side of the family business and in the evenings create websites.

I have been married for nearly 6 years and have a 3 year old daughter. In my spare time I run a Discworld Fansite called Discworld Fanatics. I recently merged The Morporkian website into the site, plus the site is the home of the Discworld Reading Guide.
RJH

Next

Return to The Broken Drum