File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby raisindot » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-19506286

Interesting idea.

Very cool idea. Only problem is, in five years or so either the company doing this will be out of business or this whole scan concept will have been replaced by something else, so in ten years people will be asking what the hell are those strange demonic markers on tombstones? Also I would bet that weather, pigeon droppings or vandals will degrade some of these marks, so that when you scan one for Uncle Tim it'll bring you to the page for Candy Stripper, the Celebrated Pole Dancer of Fargo North Dakota. :D
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:16 pm

It may be like burying a Betamax video of that person's life. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 am

As long as you buried the Betamax player with them. Best place for a Betamax player, in a grave. :lol:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:55 pm

:shock: Just reading the headline, for a second, I thought it meant information on what's happening to the person buried. For example, fingernails fell off today, grubs ate the last of grandad's liver... that kind of thing.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:38 am

Great idea. There is something similar and less grisly here:
http://talking-tree.com/
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby MongoGutman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 am

I don't understand why bodies aren't scrapped for parts when they wear out, or why some people seem to get testy when hospitals and other institutions keep organs of their dead loved ones rather than letting them rot underground. It's a mystery.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 am

Well, all human emotion aside, would you like it if a garage told you your car was a write-off, but when you got it back the engine was missing?

Adding in human emotion and ethics, raiding the body of a deceased person without consent is completely unacceptable.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Dotsie wrote:Well, all human emotion aside, would you like it if a garage told you your car was a write-off, but when you got it back the engine was missing?

No, because that would be theft. If they asked me if they may take it and give me something in exchange, that'd be OK: A loved one, on the other hand, isn't your property and normally organs are not traded for money - or shouldn't be.
And adding in the emotional stuff: Of course relatives should be asked if organs may be taken out (if the deceased person doesn't have a donor's pass, that is). Mongo (and myself, to be honest, and yes, I carry a donor's pass) just doesn't understand why people would at all refuse to let organs be taken out.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby raisindot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 pm

My .02 on this: All people should by default be considered eligible organ donors upon death UNLESS they have specifically signed a card/agreement. to opt out. The way it is now, you have to opt-in to be a donor, which is why there's such a shortage of organs everywhere. Easiest way to implement this rule is give someone the opportunity to 'opt out' at the time they receive their driver's license or govt. issued ID. If they wanted to change the status, they'd have to apply for it.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:25 pm

raisindot wrote:My .02 on this: All people should by default be considered eligible organ donors upon death UNLESS they have specifically signed a card/agreement. to opt out. The way it is now, you have to opt-in to be a donor, which is why there's such a shortage of organs everywhere. Easiest way to implement this rule is give someone the opportunity to 'opt out' at the time they receive their driver's license or govt. issued ID. If they wanted to change the status, they'd have to apply for it.

I believe this is the system in Belgium. I agree - a very good idea. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:45 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Well, all human emotion aside, would you like it if a garage told you your car was a write-off, but when you got it back the engine was missing?

No, because that would be theft. If they asked me if they may take it and give me something in exchange, that'd be OK: A loved one, on the other hand, isn't your property and normally organs are not traded for money - or shouldn't be.
And adding in the emotional stuff: Of course relatives should be asked if organs may be taken out (if the deceased person doesn't have a donor's pass, that is). Mongo (and myself, to be honest, and yes, I carry a donor's pass) just doesn't understand why people would at all refuse to let organs be taken out.

In English law, the body is the property of the closest relative, and the harvesting of organs without consent is theft. But Mongo's comment "why some people seem to get testy when hospitals and other institutions keep organs of their dead loved ones rather than letting them rot underground" is quite different to organ donation, or refusal of consent.

I don't agree with opting out for ethical reasons, but I would consent to organ donation.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:22 am

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Barsteward (allegedly)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Isn't a nurse supposed to be in the room too? Where was she when this was happening? :?
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby janet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Hang on a minute....THREE (alleged) 'victims' waited decades then simultaneously complained about this old guy?
....sniff, sniff.....fish :shhh: :shhh:
Doctorum Adamus cum Flabello Dulci
janet

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum