File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Leia Tortoise » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Bloody hell. Shouldn't be allowed in the car at that age to be honest.
A guy in his nineties hit a work mate of mine while reversing his car . My mate was on a bike which was written off but he was ok. Guy paid for the bike and the police left it at that. Three weeks later he hit another workmate of mine on a bike and the police still didn't take his licence or even review it . Broke the poor sods arm.

Hmm, I don't know, I believe that in US the elderlies have to sit for exams frequently to keep the right to drive, and it seems that in the LA case that was the brakes who failed, could have happen with anyone. Well, that's what I've seen here and there.
Though I agree that even with exams and checks, 100 is quite too much to drive a car ^^

Car accidents always upset me, it happens so fast, so often.
Last tuesday there's a man who had been hit while crossing a roundabout, not really harmful luckily, just something on the leg, he should be back on the hoof very quickly. But the thing is he was crossing in the middle of a roundabout whereas there's safe pedestrian crossings all around the square, and this rounabount is far much used, not so well done, and many people don't drive it correctly and don't really care of what's on the road in front of them.
Apart from serioux accidents, this kind of stupid ones juste drives me crazy...
French fans community - english welcome - (news, activities, etc) : Le Vade-mecum!
Leia Tortoise

Postby raisindot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Leia Tortoise wrote: Hmm, I don't know, I believe that in US the elderlies have to sit for exams frequently to keep the right to drive, and it seems that in the LA case that was the brakes who failed, could have happen with anyone. Well, that's what I've seen here and there.

Not true. In the U.S., once you have your license you never generally have to take another driving or written test again--usually only a vision test when have it renewed. A number of states are trying to pass laws that require drivers of a certain age to have to take tests again, but the geezers have very strong lobbies, particularly in states with high numbers of retirees. The 100 guy who hit 11 people SAID his brakes failed, but until I see a mechanic's diagnosis, I ain't believin' it.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm

:lol: I've been to France and there are NO safe places to cross. :lol:

I believe that in the US, you have to renew your licence every so often and take an eye test, but that's about all.

Over here you get sent a letter when you are 70 (I think) asking if you think you are safe to drive. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:26 pm

There you go, Raisin agrees. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:47 pm

Edwina Currie, bless her. For those who don't know her, she was British health minister in the 80's, and famous for saying outrageously offensive things. This is her latest treat:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... hairs.html

Laugh, or you'll cry! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Catch-up » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:31 am

Oh boy. You do have to laugh, don't you! It's amazing how oblivious some people are.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Leia Tortoise » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 am

Not true. In the U.S., once you have your license you never generally have to take another driving or written test again--usually only a vision test when have it renewed. A number of states are trying to pass laws that require drivers of a certain age to have to take tests again, but the geezers have very strong lobbies, particularly in states with high numbers of retirees.

Oh, ok, I thought it was effective... Sometimes we talk about that in France, but that stay sayings :roll:
Ok, so, you're right ^^

:lol: I've been to France and there are NO safe places to cross. :lol:

Hah! Depends on where, actually, big cities like Paris could be tricky, but we do have, really :mrgreen:
French fans community - english welcome - (news, activities, etc) : Le Vade-mecum!
Leia Tortoise

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:30 am

Dotsie wrote:Edwina Currie, bless her. For those who don't know her, she was British health minister in the 80's, and famous for saying outrageously offensive things. This is her latest treat:

Maybe I'm as insensitive as Curry - but what was wrong with her tweet?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:32 am

Insinuating that people in wheelchairs are ugly, except, apparently, the Italians!

I kinda know what she was getting at, but she could have worded it better.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am

BBC:

Two attendees were ejected from Republican National Convention on Tuesday for throwing nuts at a black CNN camerawoman.

The individuals told her "this is how we feed animals" as they threw the nuts, multiple witnesses said.

Convention security and police removed the two from the convention centre shortly after the incident.

In a statement, convention officials said the attendees had "exhibited deplorable behaviour".

"Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behaviour will not be tolerated."

The incident reportedly occurred shortly after 20:00 local time. The identities of the two ejected was unclear. News broadcaster CNN confirmed the incident but had no additional comment.

The incident happened on Tuesday in the Tampa Bay Times Forum, where delegates officially nominated Mitt Romney as the Republican candidate to face President Barack Obama in the November presidential election.

Former Bush White House press secretary and CNN commentator Ari Fleischer told the BBC: "If it's what has been reported to have been their motive it's reprehensible. They have no place being at this convention."

Among Tuesday night's speakers was Mia Love, who is aiming to become the first black Republican woman to be elected to Congress.

:doh:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Conforumist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am

ChristianBecker wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Edwina Currie, bless her. For those who don't know her, she was British health minister in the 80's, and famous for saying outrageously offensive things. This is her latest treat:

I agree CB,
I think there's nothing wrong with her comment, because I believe that many people find wheelchairs to be ugly. She was not referring to the people in them. I believe she was saying that the people in them make the chairs look good.

People are so bloody uptight about every little thing these days.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am

I had no idea it was this bad in Greece.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 92591.html

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 am

Scary stuff. We're not at that stage here yet
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 am

ChristianBecker wrote:

You really don't see it? :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:36 am

Conforumist wrote:
ChristianBecker wrote:

I agree CB,
I think there's nothing wrong with her comment, because I believe that many people find wheelchairs to be ugly. She was not referring to the people in them. I believe she was saying that the people in them make the chairs look good.

People are so bloody uptight about every little thing these days.

OK, you don't see it either. BTW, do the people actually in the wheelchairs get to be "so bloody uptight about every little thing"?
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum