Frustration Thread 3

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 3

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:05 pm

:romance-caress: You never can tell with house sales - the termite aspect may be a 'help' with stopping a v. fast sale maybe?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Del » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Very true Jan.... and a good friend of mine who is an agent says so too.... but he is one of the strangest agents... he TELLS his clients HOW bad it can be and then says "Lets find you a house without termites in this price!" etc :lol: Who would have thunk it... an honest real estate agent. He thinks I will be here for a long time.... then again the silly owner went and brought another home before they sold this or their own home.... bridging loan.... NASTY things those. He will get desperate I think.

Nah! The land is certainly worth the price.

All I can do is hope.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:If Michigan wasn't so damn far away from here, I'd take a look at it.
Hope you or "he" will get it fixed.
What does (or doesn't) it do?

That's so thoughtful of you! The short, semi-educated explanation is that I've lost the connection to the external drive housing all my documents, addresses, pictures, email addresses, calendar, to do lists. The good news is that I can still access Outlook, so I'm still getting email, just can't view the old ones right now. Nothing is lost, just temporarily unavailable to me. So far, I've managed to find ways around most of it. :roll: And thoughts of vengeance are slowly subsiding. I want to add that I'm really, really glad he's taking time off for some fun. He desperately needs it. I was just angry that he left without fixing this.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Del, I hope the termites keep potential buyers away, or at least buy you some more time. Hugs!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 pm

I'm sitting here hoping I can win hugely on the lotto here this week, and be able to send enough $s to Del so that she can buy the place (and restore it to 1st class).

And she doesn't even have to pay me back!

Then again.......... I must start buying lotto tickets.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Selkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Is there any chance YOU could buy it, Del? If it's really cheap you might be better off with a mortgage than rent?
Selkie

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Oh del, why is the universe always throwing stuff at you? Hope you've got some time to prepare your move. Perhaps you should collect some of the termites and place them around the place next time a potential buyer comes.

Catch-Up, have you tried connecting the external drive (USB probably) to another USB port in your computer? Or do you know someone on whose computer you might try it? Does the external drive appear to have power (LEDs working, thing making any sound at all)? If you're into experimenting and your computer allows you to burn CDs, you could download a Linux live CD (for example Knoppix, boot it and see if the drive appears there. If it does appear there, your Windows is at fault. If not, it's a hardware issue.
However, I'd say that either one (or several) of your computer's USB ports is broken or the drive does not get power. It's hard to tell without physical access to the machine.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Sorry I can't help with the computer Susanne but I am a complete technoklutz.

I hope that the termites are not going to be a huge problem, Del, just big enough to put people off. Maybe you could leave a dead cockroach or two on the kitchen table for the viewers to find when you're out. This might help them come to the 'right' decision regarding buying and you won't be around to answer their questions! ;)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Joolz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Thats a proper bugger Del :(
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:Catch-Up, have you tried connecting the external drive (USB probably) to another USB port in your computer? Or do you know someone on whose computer you might try it? Does the external drive appear to have power (LEDs working, thing making any sound at all)? If you're into experimenting and your computer allows you to burn CDs, you could download a Linux live CD (for example Knoppix, boot it and see if the drive appears there. If it does appear there, your Windows is at fault. If not, it's a hardware issue.
However, I'd say that either one (or several) of your computer's USB ports is broken or the drive does not get power. It's hard to tell without physical access to the machine.

The external drive does appear to have power, the lights are on. Tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. I did try another USB port on the computer, but it never occurred to me that more than one might not work, so I just tried another one that I know is working. Nada. :( But good suggestion, thank you! Not too keen on experimenting. I think I'll wait for hubby to get home and let him try the next step. I appreciate all the help you're trying to give me though! :D
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Penfold wrote:Sorry I can't help with the computer Susanne but I am a complete technoklutz.

That's ok. You gave me the Dara videos. :D
Catch-up

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Not a big frustration, but...
As you might or might not know, I'm a huge fan of the XKCD comics, some of which I post here from time to time. Well, someone thought they need to explain the comics to those who don't understand them.
http://xkcdexplained.com/
Not only do they try to explain the comics, they do it in such a bland way that they're not funny anymore (if they were to start with). I mean, why?
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm pretty sure the residents of this Melbourne suburb were somewhat frustrated at this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20121075
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Well you can't blame Del for that one Bouncy. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 am

Oh, I'm sure we could if we put our heads together! :lol:

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum