How did you find the Discworld

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

How did you find the Discworld

Postby Parkstee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Sorry if this topic has been done before but with so many new members thought it might be a good starter.

My question is how or what made you start reading the the discworld series and what was the first book you read?
Parkstee

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:00 am

I'm sure lots of you will say COM, but for me it was Pyramids. I bought it coz I liked the cover, then I was hooked.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 am

Colour of Magic for me. My brother had it when it came out in paperback and he kept nagging me to read it. :D I've got all the others as they've been released.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:56 am

Ditto up until Hogfather then I had a period of being a workaholic and sort of lost the plot for 10 years or so.... :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DivingBudgie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:07 am

I actually can not remember the first one although I do not think it was Colour of Magic.

I inhabited the scifi/fantasty shelf of the newsagent in the small town I lived in and saw then crazy cover bought it and was hooked that much I remember.

Then the search was on to find other novels by the same author (pre internet days so no way to search and the local library - High School library) did not seem to stock them)
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
DivingBudgie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:43 am

Yep, Terry's books are like literary crack. Once tried you're hooked for life. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby cols » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:04 am

I first found Discworld as a teenager when a friend gave me Mort to read .
Her father was a hugh fan and got us all hooked. I fell off the disc after Interesting Times but after finding my books in the attic ( when we moved everything went up there to be sorted at a later date) my addiction was reborn and I've been reading the books in order since then. Only two to go :( but I'll just start again once I'm done :D :D
cols

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am

My dad slipped a disc when I was a teenager, & a friend lent him some books, including COM. And that was it really :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Dotsie wrote:My dad slipped a disc when I was a teenager, & a friend lent him some books, including COM. And that was it really :D
So his friend slipped him a Disc(world) book? :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 pm

I found the 4 mini hard backs in a charity shop, so I bought them all for £1.
I had never come across TP before, read Equal Rites first, then the others, but I still wasn't hooked, found a few more at car boot sales, read those, then got obsessed about finding more. Even bought new ones if I had got to that particular one, but couldn't find a second hand copy. Then it became very adictive & Smith's were doing a 3 for 2. I spent a lot of money over the duration of that promotion. :lol: :lol: This was only aprox 3 years ago now as well. :shock: 8)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby cols » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Wish they'd do a three for two here but in reality stocks of DW books are not great here so I've had to order each subsequent book, from interesting times onwards, and they cost me 10 euros each.
cols

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yep, Terry's books are like literary crack. Once tried you're hooked for life. :lol:

They're like painting the Forth Rail Bridge. You finish reading all of them, then it's back to the start again. If you try reading a different author and find it hard going, you have a rest, read a TP and you're back in the cycle again.

100 years of Solitude is still waiting for me to get back to it. I will, just as soon as I've finished Once More, the diaries, and all those Discworld novels.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Straw Walker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

My son, who I introduced to Asimov's Robot books, loaned me 'Equal Rites'. I was hooked immediately, borrowed the rest of his collection and have since returned them and now collected all the novels and a few of the 'others'. Currently reading them all in order for the first time. :)
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby poohbcarrot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I used to love Asimov. A complete sexist pig and simple writing but damn clever ideas.
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 pm

cols wrote:Wish they'd do a three for two here but in reality stocks of DW books are not great here so I've had to order each subsequent book, from interesting times onwards, and they cost me 10 euros each.

That's a shame, Cols. Don't they ever do that there? I found that they didn't always include TP's books in that promotion, but most of the other authors were.
I complained & got it changed in one shop, after pointing out it did say all paperbacks. I also got 3 audio books half price each, after pointing out that the sign said any audio book. I noticed they did remove the TP audios from that shelf after. :D :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Next

Return to The Broken Drum