Beautiful English

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Tiffany wrote:I do have pen pals all over the World though & they all write far better English than I speak, in Countries where English isn't their first language, I'd better add. :D
I love the way my Japanese pen pal phrases things. :D


I agree Tiffany - I have a Danish friend (who speaks 5 languages fluently) and he got me into writing poetry - I absolutely hated it at school and had never really been back into it in until we met'. Well he chose to write in English as that was the forum 'language' and some of the stuff he wrote was really touching in the way he put it together and seemed to convey the sentiments more... readily I suppose. More intense because it was couched more simply :oops:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 am

Man this is scarey... i daren't write anything for fear of critical annyalation!!! (excuse the spelling)...

Isn't this all just a matter of punctuation, dialect and grammer????

It reminds me of the Mac Nac Feegles learning to read in (think it was) Hat Full of Sky....

Lest.
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest
New member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 am
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:08 am

It dont mattur wot and how peepul rite azlongaz othur peepul undurstand.
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:08 am

Lest wrote:Man this is scarey... i daren't write anything for fear of critical annyalation!!! (excuse the spelling)...



Lest.
I don't think that was the aim of the thread at all and I'm sorry if anything posted here makes you feel awkward.

It was (as far as I'm concerned) a bit of fun complaining about bits of the English language that we like or that annoy us.

I think we all understand that not everyone here is good at spelling or grammar and that we have a few dyslexia sufferers as well as crap typists like me. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28673
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Nienna » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

poohbcarrot wrote:It dont mattur wot and how peepul rite azlongaz othur peepul undurstand.


Quoted for emphasis! :D
User avatar
Nienna
Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:26 am

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as 'Euro-English'.
In the first year, 's' will replace the soft 'c'. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard 'c' will be dropped in favour of 'k'. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter. There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome 'ph' will be replaced with 'f'. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent 'e' in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.
By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing 'th' with 'z' and 'w' with 'v'.

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary 'o' kan be dropd from vords kontaining 'ou' and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas. :P
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28673
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 am

Straw Walker wrote:Oh I'm so relieved Tiff, I thought I was the only person In the country who had never strayed from these shores and I live closer to France than London!
I've really never felt the need as there is so much I haven't yet seen in Britain. Perhaps one day Austria because I love their architecture.


My problem is I can't fly & as you say Straw Walker, there are lots of lovely places to visit in our country. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
User avatar
Tiffany
Member
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Devon

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I agree Tiffany - I have a Danish friend (who speaks 5 languages fluently) and he got me into writing poetry - I absolutely hated it at school and had never really been back into it in until we met'. Well he chose to write in English as that was the forum 'language' and some of the stuff he wrote was really touching in the way he put it together and seemed to convey the sentiments more... readily I suppose. More intense because it was couched more simply :oops:


I write poetry too, Jan, have done since I was a child, not good poetry :) , but I enjoy writing about things that happen to me, or things I have seen/read about.
Best wishes,
Tiff
User avatar
Tiffany
Member
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Devon

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 am

poohbcarrot wrote:It dont mattur wot and how peepul rite azlongaz othur peepul undurstand.


Wot Poohcarrot rote :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
User avatar
Tiffany
Member
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Devon

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

On my other forum I run some 'creative writing' threads and the one I'm running at the moment has an American guy and a Dutch lady on there just now. It has a 'travelling warrior tasks' theme and they're both of them writing it differently and doing well in addressing the various challenges and also both re-modelling the basic info I give them so they're telling a more fleshed out and/or adapted version. I'm learning as much if not more than they are and the one thing I thought I would want/need to help with (especially for the Dutch woman) is grammar and spelling - but I've now stopped myself from doing that so long as the story flows and makes sense.

And yeah you've guessed it the DL is doing much better and writing lots more and also writing in a more sophisticated way than my US friend. She's older than he is and I'm wondering if that's partly the reason why she's being more interpretive and imaginative than he is because she's in effect translating her ideas into English - it really is the most extraordinary exercise. To be fair to the American chap he’s approaching it in the way I’d constructed the exercises (it’s supposed to be a warrior training vehicle and it gets the trainee soldiers to write about swords and other weapons and various camp and tracking/survival skills associated with that lifestyle) and doing it more in-depth in a way although he’s only writing about 25% of the output the DL and sticking to the information I’m feeding him over four sessions that build into a distinct story. DL is only working on 1 part of the storyline, but she’s weaving this into her new character’s development and having great fun twisting the specific task I’ve given her to suit the journey she has her character doing and incorporating various aspects of lore and classic behaviour for her Elf so he’s starting to come to life.

So I really do think that whilst good grammar perhaps is fairly important, spelling isn’t so much unless it gets to the stage where you can’t read it. The different ‘varieties’ of English have developed and gone into the normal range of usage in these different lands and maybe they do get snarled and lose their original meaning perhaps – it doesn’t matter so long as people can follow it well enough. Grammar is a slightly different case in point as that can cause confusion and leave a reader having to go over things several times (or thinking what the hell was that all about?) does irritate but also makes you think about what you’re reading. English is very far from a being a dead or static language and we all need to look at it in terms of celebrating the intellectual and emotional development path rather than fuss over minor anomalies - these all add to the tone and texture of our wonderful language! :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Sirandilas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Don’t even get me started.

When I first came out here to the US I pretty much had to relearn how to speak in order to make myself understood.

I don’t really have any real gripes other than the fact that some, not all, of the people over here seem to delight in completely mangling the pronunciation of words for no other reason than t prove they can.

I can deal with the whole dropping the letter "U" when it occurs next to an O, it just helps us get better Scores in Scrabble than them, although they did try and win a few points back by using "ize" instead of "ise"

My main gripe is the rise of "Internet English" where no attempt is made to even use real words but substitute letters and numbers and symbols and use abbreviations or the wrong version of a words because it is shorter or easier to type or they just dont know any better.

It is OK in moderation but there seem to be kids out there that think it is real English and type like it all the time.
Sirandilas
Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Nienna wrote:
poohbcarrot wrote:It dont mattur wot and how peepul rite azlongaz othur peepul undurstand.


Quoted for emphasis! :D


Repeated for more emphasis!!!!

LOL

Lest
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest
New member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 am
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Lest wrote:Man this is scarey... i daren't write anything for fear of critical annyalation!!! (excuse the spelling)...



Lest.
I don't think that was the aim of the thread at all and I'm sorry if anything posted here makes you feel awkward.

It was (as far as I'm concerned) a bit of fun complaining about bits of the English language that we like or that annoy us.

I think we all understand that not everyone here is good at spelling or grammar and that we have a few dyslexia sufferers as well as crap typists like me. :wink:


It's ok Tony... i was only joking....

I appologise for my sense of humour in advance of my future comments!!!! LOL

Lest
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest
New member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 am
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:04 pm

That's why we have the smileys! 8)

Although maybe we do need some that get a leetle more expressive... I think Tiff's asked for a waving one and I'm missing noddies and shaking heads ones. The ones I find most therapeutic however are the 'censored' devil and the hopping mad ranting one :P

A drooling one would come in handy when I'm talking about human Greebo too - I think this thing with language, misuse thereof, is really a dead end linguistically and we should all still be using pictograms... :twisted:

Or maybe learn binary? :evil: Nah too silly that :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby Lest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 pm

Sirandilas wrote:Don’t even get me started.

When I first came out here to the US I pretty much had to relearn how to speak in order to make myself understood.

I don’t really have any real gripes other than the fact that some, not all, of the people over here seem to delight in completely mangling the pronunciation of words for no other reason than t prove they can.

I can deal with the whole dropping the letter "U" when it occurs next to an O, it just helps us get better Scores in Scrabble than them, although they did try and win a few points back by using "ize" instead of "ise"

My main gripe is the rise of "Internet English" where no attempt is made to even use real words but substitute letters and numbers and symbols and use abbreviations or the wrong version of a words because it is shorter or easier to type or they just dont know any better.

It is OK in moderation but there seem to be kids out there that think it is real English and type like it all the time.


Here, here... I totally agree.... I H8 that TXT SPK!!! LOL

Lest
Remember the monemts... They're less painful than the memories.....
Lest
New member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:12 am
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests