Why is it?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Why is it when I desperately need a nap like I did today, then as soon as I nod off the phone rings? :(

Last week I wrote a letter to the local newspaper after reading a story about a lady who was being harrassed by the TV licence people. She (like me) doesn't have a TV set, but the licence people assume that is an address on their database doesn't have a licence registered there then the person living there must be breaking the law. It's a case of guilty until you prove that you are innocent. I've been told by the TV licence people that if I allow one of their officers into my home so that they can see that I don't have a TV set then they'll leave me alone for 3 years.

Excuse me??? :shock: Why on earth should I?

Anyhow - back to my disturbed nap. The phone rang and it was some guy who had seen my letter in the paper and was calling to agree with me. He doesn't have a TV either and is constantly being harrassed. The licence people use scare tactics and threats.

So that basically ruined my nap and then I went to buy a copy of the paper - even though the letter is online. :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Straw Walker » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Why is it I always miss the best programmes on TV?

I don't watch much telly but I've never seen any of the discworld films. I don't even Know how many have been 'on the box'. I believe some of them have been shown on Sky so, as we don't subscribe, that could be the reason I've missed them :)

It looks a though my only option is to buy them on DVD. Ho hum, where's that piggy bank ------- Hah, just as I suspected, empty. :cry:

Dear Family, my birthday isn't far away ---------- :)
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:38 pm

easiest way to open a tin if your openers bust is to put it in the microwave then run away and i gaurentee youll open the tin the microwave and probably the nearest wall :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby silverstreak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:46 pm

chris.ph wrote:easiest way to open a tin if your openers bust is to put it in the microwave then run away and i gaurentee youll open the tin the microwave and probably the nearest wall :lol:

True.
Dark in here isn't it.
silverstreak

Postby Tiffany » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:22 pm

chris.ph wrote:easiest way to open a tin if your openers bust is to put it in the microwave then run away and i gaurentee youll open the tin the microwave and probably the nearest wall :lol:

I do hope there are no children reading the above! :shock: :roll: :lol:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:25 pm

watch under siege perfectly timed in that film as well. got to say that that film made my life hell :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:59 am

"What are you, some kind of special forces guy?"

"Nah, I'm just the cook."

Chris - that's you! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:51 pm

Further to my letter in the local newspaper - I had a copy of the British National Party newspaper through my door this morning with a note saying that whoever had sent it liked my letter. :shock:

I do wish they'd knocked the door as I'd have had a few things to say about the BNP. :evil:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Are we going to get to read your letter to the newspaper, Tony? :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Tiffany wrote:Are we going to get to read your letter to the newspaper, Tony? :)

Well if you must :P - I should point out that they seem to have cut a bit at the end. :roll: Click here
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Nice letter Tony - clear and to the point.

Shame to see the burden of proof has changed to having to defend your innocence rather than them having to prove you are guilt.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Jason wrote:
Shame to see the burden of proof has changed to having to defend your innocence rather than them having to prove you are guilt.
That's the way I feel about it Jason. I've been told by the licence people that if I allow one of their inspectors into my flat to prove that I don't have a TV, they'll leave me alone for 3 years.

Excuse me? :shock: Why on earth should I do that?
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Well said, Tony. It's wrong, :x I hate it when people won't take your word for something. :evil: They still have detector vans don't they? All they have to do, if so, is sit outside your house for a week & then they'll know you haven't got a T.V. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:41 pm

I keep getting wrong number calls on my mobile phone. :? I didn't think people could do that on mobiles?
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Tiffany wrote:I keep getting wrong number calls on my mobile phone. :? I didn't think people could do that on mobiles?
If they press the wrong numbers, yes they can. I've had them on mine. The thing that bugs me is when they ring your number accidentally and won't believe that they've made a mistake. :roll:

As to detector vans - I used to work for the Post Office who used to run the detector vans. They were more for show than anything. They used to deliberately drive aound near shopping centres and schools and when I worked on the PO counter, we used to suddenly sell loads of licences to people who had seen the detector van.

But they are (or used to be) almost useless at detecting anything and even if they were the information gathered by them is not acceptable in a court - unless that's changed in the last 15 years or so. :roll:
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum