Twurp’s Peerage ~ Forum Peeps Bio-pics

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:46 am

Polly wrote:[quote=and international fencer. (O.K. - I built fences north of the border in Scotland, but my way of saying sit sounds so much more [i]dashing

Brilliant - was the international fence building to keep us in? :lol:

did you have a passport to get across the great fence of Scotland? :lol:

Personal belief... Yes and Yes, Just look at WWD... :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:48 pm

kakaze wrote:Thanks!

I did it through http://www.driving101.com. It cost about $50 per lap and I got up to 158.5 miles per hour.

Good times! :)

That sounds very reasonable. I looked into one of the Richard Petty Experience schools (for hubby) and :shock: .
Catch-up

Postby chris.ph » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:23 pm

i was supposed to go on a rallying day but couldnt go as i was to heavy you had to be less than 210lbs and im not :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:30 pm

<Personal belief... Yes and Yes, Just look at WWD... >

We don't need no steenking fences mochatos :wink: :) to get out, they're to stop undesirables getting in.and someone had to go to London to show them how it was done. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:<Personal belief... Yes and Yes, Just look at WWD... >

We don't need no steenking fences mochatos :wink: :) to get out, they're to stop undesirables getting in.and someone had to go to London to show them how it was done. :lol:

Joo Theenk Sum Steenkeeng Fence can keep Moi out??? I Blow mah nose Een Jor General Direction. *Flings a Cow*
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Bumps again for more new peeps :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby raspberry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:05 am

Ok, here it is...

Personal stats
Real First Name: not saying!
Occupation/Former occupation(s): Teacher (formerly lots of
things- barmaid amongst others)
Hobbies: history, baking, reading, visiting galleries and museums, eating lovely things
Things you love: my husband, family and cats
Pet Peeves: people who aren't disabled but park in disabled spaces

Discworld and Pterry favourites list (you can have more than 1 if you want!)
Book: night watch and witches abroad
Favourite passage: too many to choose from
Character: granny and nanny/ vimes
Pterry Quote: can't choose- I like 'a picker up of inconsiderable trifles' though

Your personal favourites (you can have more than 1 if you want!)
Colour: green
Food: scotch egg or pie of any kind/ baked alaska
Beverage: tea
Flower: iris
Season: autumn
Book: just 1? pterry or 1984
Movie: cinema paradiso
Actor or Actress: patrick stewart
TV Show: the world at war/ dad's army/ the big bang theory
DVD or Video (Blue Ray – whatever): my wedding dvd
CD: the smiths- the queen is dead
Singer/Band: the smiths/ the beatles/ kraftwerk/ smokey
Song: smokey robinson- tracks of my tears
Fast Food Restaurant: burger king
Board Game: trivial pursuit
Computer Game: bugaboo/ atic atak (on the zx 48k spectrum)
Musical Instrument: violin/ oboe
Cologne or Perfume: i prefer the smell of real things
Things to do at the Weekend: try to get through all my work by 7pm saturday! afternoon tea/ pub lunch
Vacation Location: anywhere I can get!
Word or Phrase: Now sit up smart- are we all listening?
Sport/athlete: golf- Seve.
Favorite quote: first they came for the communists... (pastor niemoller)

Your Profile/Adopted Character Info
Name and nickname: raspberry
Joined the forum on: this year
Favorite posting place on the Forum: broken drum
Why did you choose that name/character?: I like raspberries and feel that strawberries get all the glory/ I blush like a raspberry regularly
What made you register on this forum?: I love pterry but noone I know does. Everyone here is friendly and kind.

Tell us your ‘what if’s’
If you could be anyone/thing in one of the novels who/what would you be?: Susan. It would be most useful in my line of work.
If you lived in Ankh-Morpork which trade/guild would you want to join?: Teacher's guild- forever praying for that 12 oclock bell.
If you could go on a date with a character who would it be?: Vimes- is it wrong to know that straight away?

:)
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:24 am

One of your fave bands is Smokey.

Your fave song is by Smokey Robinson.

I assume you mean Smokey as in "So you think you know how to love me" and "Don't play your rock n roll to me". Or do you mean Smokey Robinson?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby raspberry » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:36 am

Sorry- I meant Smokey Robinson.
Was typing after a few ciders last night!
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:52 pm

God! I miss cider! I used to love lager snakebites. Not much cider in Japan I'm afraid. :(
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Don't they have apple trees there then? That has blossom too - nicer than cherry blossom as well - not being pink helps :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Lady Vetinari » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:16 pm

My dad used to work in Weston's Cider Factory in Herefordshire ....
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Don't they have apple trees there then? That has blossom too - nicer than cherry blossom as well - not being pink helps :lol:

Nothing's nicer than cherry blossoms. The whole of Japan, to celebrate the ending of winter and the ephemerality (maybe no such word) of life, sit under cherry blossoms, have a party, and get smashed out of their heads. :D
poohcarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Well that sounds pretty damned fine but do you really need blossom to have a party? :lol: I think I may be pinkist :oops:

I may regret this, but here's a bump for our new talkative posters :shock: :wink:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Penfold » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:34 pm

I came across this thread while I was looking for something else but thought that since we now have over 1000 members it might be a good idea to return to it (hope I'm not wrong :) ).

Personal stats
Real First Name: Len, Lenny, Leonard (depending on preference although my mother is the only one who calls me Leonard and only then when I've done something to annoy her!)
Birthday: October 15th
Occupation/Former occupation(s): Currently Croupier/previously Parking Attendant :evil: , Stock Replenishment Technician (shelf stacker :lol: ), Safari Ranger Guide 8) . Hobbies: Reading, cooking, wildlife, walking, sport, music, documentaries, trivia and anything where I can learn something new, this forum.
Things you love: Animals and nature, books.
Pet Peeves: People who whinge about everything. People who are intolerant of others. Bullies and bigots.

Insert piccies of you here!
Comments about your picture(s): Not a lot to say about this really. I don't like to appear in photo's as the subject I'm often trying to photo is a heck of a lot more interesting than me.

Discworld and Pterry favourites list (you can have more than 1 if you want!)
Book: Probably Reaper Man but generally whichever one I'm reading at the time.
Favourite passage: Reaper Man, page 106/107.
"It was another dawn. Cyril the cockerel stirred on his perch.
The chalked words glowed in the half light.
He concentrated.
He took a deep breath.
'Dock-a-loodle-fod!'
Now that the memory problem was solved, there was only the dyslexia to worry about."

This punchline was about 25 pages in the making and resulted in me exploding out loud laughing on a packed commuter train, much to the annoyance of the miserable gits around me. Since then, in deference to the humourless, I now read Terry's books in private.

Character: Very difficult to say, they all have their good and bad points. if I had to choose, I would go for Death and Granny Weatherwax, although Vimes for his cynicism and dislike of the privileged classes also ranks highly.
Song: The Hedgehog Song. I went to the Reading Rock Festival back in the early 80s and heard a pre-DW version of this by a guy called Jackie Lynton. Whilst it was great fun it does contain a lot of swearing so, bearing in mind our younger members, I won't include a link to it here.
Pterry Quote: In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Quote from a book: He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
Place in the books: Generally whatever part I'm reading. Least favourite, the end.

Your personal favourites (you can have more than 1 if you want!)
Colour: Blue
Food: Indian, Chinese, pasta, pies, game - particularly venison. I like to try local cuisine when I'm abroad and some of the more unusual that I've enjoyed include: Kudu, crocodile, ostrich, porcupine & lamb sausage, hippopotamus, mopani worms (although these are not actually worms - they're caterpillars), and reindeer.
Beverage: Coffee
Flower: Marula tree. (Ok, I know its not a flower but it is quite amazing. The leaves are the best cure for indigestion and heart burn that I've ever tried, the fruit contains about three times the amount of vitamin C than an orange, the nut can be used to keep meat fresh in the fridge or ground up to use as a skin cream, and these are to name but a few uses. Incidentally, its a fallacy that elephants get p*ssed on the fruit!)
Season: Spring
Book: Lord of the Rings
Movie: Most Hammer House of Horror films.
Actor or Actress: Christopher Lee, David Tennant
TV Show: Mock the Week, Have I Got News For You, QI, (I think you get the drift now)
DVD or Video (Blue Ray – whatever): Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended version)
CD: Most live versions of the groups I like, although this depends upon my mood.
Singer/Band: Currently Seasick Steve and Ten Years After
Song: I'm Going Home (Ten Years After)
Fast Food Restaurant: Kebab Center - Worthing, kebabs so good that you can eat them when sober.
Board Game: Scrabble.
Computer Game: Fallout 3, Neverwinter Nights (1&2), Dragonage Origins
Musical Instrument: Guitar (although I don't play myself)
Cologne or Perfume: None for myself, although I like ladies who wear Poison (the perfume - not the substance!)
Things to do at the Weekend: I work night shifts most weekends but when I do get one free I tend to relax, slob out, and watch loads of sport.
Vacation Location: Anywhere with history and culture. I spent six months on the cruise ships sailing from Miami around the Caribbean and I found it boring, boring, boring! The only things to do when not working were laying on the beach and/or get drunk! (Some of you might think I'm crazy for not enjoying this lifestyle but I hate inactivity and restrictions.)
Word or Phrase: D'oh! Bugger!
Sport/Athlete: Football/Trevor Brooking (doesn't say sportsperson has to be current)

Additional comments:
I like to think that I'm pretty easy-going and positive but hate it when people try to impose their own values and opinions on others through bullying or force rather than reasoned debate. I dislike bad manners and rude behaviour although working 'front line' with the public, I find this is the norm rather than the exception (this is not just restricted to young people either).

Your Profile/Adopted Character Info
Name and nickname: Penfold
Joined the forum on: Late December
Favorite posting place on the Forum: Broken Drum
Why did you choose that name/character?: Different friends in different parts of the world gave me the nickname independently of each other. They can't all be wrong :lol:
What made you register on this forum?: I had been browsing other forums but wasn't too impressed with what I saw. Most seemed cliquey or downright rude (one even replied to a post from a newbie "oh no, not another unnecessary question" - not very helpful or welcoming at all). I had been reading posts on this forum for about three months before plucking up the courage to jump in (so to speak), having seen consistent friendliness and welcoming nature of the regulars. I'm dammed glad I did. My work often entails unsocial hours so its a great way to unwind at the end of a long, hard shift (yes Tony, I said SHIFT :wink: :lol: ). I also like to start the day with a smile and a laugh so I normally look in when I'm having my wake-up coffee and trying to unglue my eyelids before tackling the morning papers.

Tell us your ‘what if’s’
If you could be anyone/thing in one of the novels who/what would you be?: The Librarian
If you lived in Ankh-Morpork which trade/guild would you want to join?: The Gambler's Guild. It's my real occupation, after all, and hours of entertainment could be had watching the Alchemists opposite! :lol:
If you could go on a date with a character who would it be?: Glenda. Good looks fade over time but good cooking lasts forever.
If you were deputising for Death, whose soul would you most like to take – and why? Anybody preaching and supporting religious, political, cultural, or racial hatred. The reasons speak for themselves.

Anything else you'd like to share with us?
Three years ago I went into hospital with breathing difficulties and they found my blood/sugar level to be 56+ and that I was suffering from Pancreatitis. They decided that I needed exploratory surgery as they thought I might also have a blockage in my intestine and whilst on the operating table I suffered a cardiac arrest (I've been told my heart stopped for 7 minutes!) with major organ failure (liver and kidneys). Miraculously, they managed to resuscitate me but gave me only three hours to live. I continued past this deadline :wink:. Seven hours later they decided to switch of my life support saying that if I could not breathe unassisted, they would not attempt resuscitation as the expected brain damage from the lack of oxygen would be too severe. (playing Death at Cripple Mr. Onion seems to pay off :D ! ImageBEST OF THREE, MAYBE? gulp! :shock: ) Needless to say they were wrong and I went on to make a full recovery (given the all clear last October). They do not know to this day how I came through this unscathed, although I think a good positive outlook and a sense of humour played a big part! I no longer drink alcohol or smoke. On the positive side, I take life and myself lot less seriously than I used to.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum