Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Help I Need Your Votes (Again)

Postby Penfold » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

meerkat wrote:Er Penners, how did you get the sky to go green over the windmill? :shock:

There is a program called "Solerizer" in the 'effects' section of the post editing software I use (fairly standard for most photo editing software I believe). Once you've clicked on the program, it's just a matter of playing around with numbers until you get the effect you want. In pre digital times each photo would have taken several hours of work to do, each of these took around 5-10 minutes. I've seen several examples of what the professionals do with it so I thought I would give it a go (the hardest part is resisting the urge to 'overdo' the effect). Anyway, I'm quite happy with the results and some of them look great in 10x15 print. :D

Thanks for the warning Watchman, I'm just about to go down to the beach now, since the photo of the boat will not print properly on Jessops equipment without cropping most of the image out and I have to start again from scratch. I might visit the cordoned off area and see what photos of the clean-up operation I can get from there. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby deldaisy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Penners............................

WE need YOU ;) ;) ;)
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby meerkat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm

very spooky, Penners! VERY unusual! :clap:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby deldaisy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Penfold wrote:
On Tuesday we have a team competition and I seem to have been selected for the Macro Category almost by default (it appears that no one else in the team has ever taken Macro) but I know my Macro skills are way below the other members so I don't expect a result here. Anyway, the team selected this one for that;

WOW!
I know my Macro skills are way below the other members
What?????????? This is amazing!!!!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Penners that one with the windmill looks familiar,it looks like a P.Floyd album cover or maybe a film score one,and the macro one is really good.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I think you might possibly be thinking of the poster from Michael Caine's film, "The Black Windmill". I didn't enter it for next weeks comp in the end as it seemed 'out of place'. Instead, I stuck with a seafront theme going with these;

(Please bear in mind that each panel will be displayed all at once, reading from left to right, and will be judged on it's overall effect and not necessarily on individual photos.)

Panel 1: "The Seafront"

Panel 2: The Unnoticed Pier

And finally, a quick mention of tonight's team comp. WE WON!!!!! We didn't win best photo in any category, but our individual scores were consistent enough for us to score 1 more point than the three teams that came joint second. My dragonfly scored 17 out of 20, btw, our team's lowest individual score. :lol:

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 am

Congrats Penners! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 am

Well Done Penners! :clap: :clap:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:03 am

:clap: Well done Penners! :bow-blue:
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby CrysaniaMajere » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:14 am

Congrats Penfold!!!!! :P
CrysaniaMajere

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 am

well done pleased for you

not sure about solarising yet sunsets look amazing on it
on individual images such as a boat I think inverting the colour is better
but solarising is a new thing it might grow on me.

very small examples for those that don't know what invert colour is

Image Image
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Penfold » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Oooh, I'm going to have to try that, Ghost. I don't think anyone at the club has tried it either so it will be original. :D

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby ghostsecurity28 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Glad to give you some ideas penners :)
And in Heather's case, there were sometimes Third Thoughts and Fourth Thoughts, although these were quite difficult to manage and sometimes led her to walk into doors
ghostsecurity28

Postby Conforumist » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:54 am

Here's the cat and Christmas village in "negative":

Is that sort of what you guys did? It's kinda cool!

Here's a flower:

and in negative:

I think I'm hooked!! :oops:
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Penfold » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:25 pm

I just got back from the Panel Competition and didn't realize that it was the first of the clubs major internal comps of the season (and a prestigious one, at that, with a trophy for the winner) and with a very esteemed judge presiding over the occasion. She was very strict with the marking but also very constructive with her criticisms, showing the photographer where individual photos went wrong and the order in which the photos should have been placed in the panel (the idea being that while individual photos were regarded on their own merit, the overall effect of how all the photos worked together, as a set, when viewed was a major factor).

My first entry, "the Unnoticed Pier", scored a disappointing 16 out of 20 but I can understand why; the lamp at the end looked out of place compared to the other shots, something I was a bit worried about after I had entered it. Individually, she really liked the photos but it scored low because of the order I presented them as well as the lamp not fitting the concept. Still, not bad for a first attempt, and by no means the worst score or criticism of the night.

My second entry was also potentially the most controversial of the night. Solarized images are not generally popular with judges so I didn't expect them to do well. When they were placed side by side in order, the judge said she hated filtered images and when she glimpsed them prior to 'official' display (all entries are laid out prior to the comp for general viewing and are then brought up one by one under the light for the competition), she was prepared to dismiss them out of hand. Then she said something along the lines of "but at last we have someone who knows how to put together a panel" :lol: . She then started looking closely and pointing out what was right about it from the order of the photos, consistency of colour and tone, and the order of portrait/landscape view. After going through everything she just said "I just talked myself into this....20!" :o She is the first judge I've seen all season to grant a top mark there and then; everybody else seemed a bit surprised as well! (normally they hold the entry back for further consideration at the end when they also decide the rankings from the best photos) :D Quite a few panels had already been held back so I knew I still faced stiff competition but as the evening wore on and was reaching the end, another panel from one of the club's most experienced members was awarded a 20 on the spot as well. This was an amazing set of photos combined to make one fantastic shot (I hope to be able to provide a link to it later) and I thought I had lost at that point. She then returned to the held back panels and assigned their scores of 19's and 18's meaning I was guaranteed at least second place with my score of twenty........

I BLOODY WON!!!!!!! :o :o :o :dance:

The judge then went on to say more on how she dislikes filters but the overall effect and composition was excellent that she had to make an exception! Quite a few friends there, who also knew they were mine, had commented how they really liked them before the start and I had heard more than a few very favourable comments from people who didn't know they were mine. This result was even more pleasing because I had no idea of what a print panel was until a couple of weeks ago, let alone what one should look like and I hadn't tried solarizing before (I just wanted to try something a bit different). :D

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum