A question about computers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who said that?

Not TAKING any bloody advice from YOU again!

Actually your advice was sound... I just added a "delete" option I shouldn't have.

Nah......... "Blame the kids!" Thats my motto!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 pm

You may have something interfering with your wireless signal del have you tried moving it (laptop) to another part of the room/house.

Or you could go to system restore and restore it to a time before you had the problem (it's OK you won't do any damage it's just a matter of clicking on a date.)
Pick a task
Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update
Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP
Undo changes to your computer with System Restore
Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems

Or you could always check in system properties, then perfomance and maintenance, them basic info about your comp... click on hardware,then device manager which open a list and if you see a big yellow ?question mark click on it that and that will tell you where the problem is. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby deldaisy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Thashat you suggested; checked he properties etc and store. I have done al lthe rest tystem resthe sytks Dug. I will do t it I cna't type anything without it skipping all over the pageo check tools tnot just in here.skips and jumps and its just wonderful... not. Nothing else in the room that is different.

And thats how my typing comes out if I don't correct it every few characters.... :cry:

Above says:

Thanks for that Dug. I haven't done a system restore. Will do that tonight. I have checked the properties, used the tools to check the system.... they say its all fine. Nothing else in the room that is different to interfere with it. I can't type anything; skips and jumps; not just in the text box. Or some disappears or I end up on another page, etc.

I can't reload the programme as I got this laptop second hand off a friend and have no discs.

The girls have no problems... but then they are using just click and look etc. We will hear the screams when the teen has to do an assignment and this happens. Bet SHE can find a solution THEN huh :lol:

I WILL beat this dammit.

........ there is this gorgeous watertower two suburbs over..... people go there and throw their computers over the edge. Very upmarket suburb but noone can stop it happening.... The council have even put in a road to get in to clear them every month. If you lean right over you can see them..... its looking VERY tempting right now...... :twisted:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Can't you get the disk from them or borrow one from some one else that's running the same version of windows as you are.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 am

:!:
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Re: A question about computers

Postby meerkat » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

After Chris getting stern with me about getting and usb cable or some such thing for which I am grateful, I now have ANOTHER problem/query,pain in the btm etc.

My Mouse which is not wi-fi, has suddenly started playing buggeurs D' risable! I am not physically touching it but it is slowly moving across the screen like an invisible hand is moving it, yet it is sitting stock still on its mat.

Does this mean the @@@@ thing is dying/dead/just being a pain/needs to be replaced/ceremoniously buried in a tar pit?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Quatermass » Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Possibly. I wouldn't know how else to fix it, other than replacing it. Not long ago, I had problems with my mouse's click buttons acting up. :?
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Del » Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 pm

meerkat wrote:My Mouse which is not wi-fi, has suddenly started playing buggeurs D' risable! I am not physically touching it but it is slowly moving across the screen like an invisible hand is moving it, yet it is sitting stock still on its mat.

Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby LilMaibe » Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm

is it an optical or ballmouse?
LilMaibe

Postby Quatermass » Tue May 01, 2012 1:30 pm

Del wrote:
meerkat wrote:My Mouse which is not wi-fi, has suddenly started playing buggeurs D' risable! I am not physically touching it but it is slowly moving across the screen like an invisible hand is moving it, yet it is sitting stock still on its mat.

I see that, and I raise you this...

"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Del » Tue May 01, 2012 1:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Tue May 01, 2012 1:39 pm

meerkat wrote:After Chris getting stern with me about getting and usb cable or some such thing for which I am grateful, I now have ANOTHER problem/query,pain in the btm etc.

My Mouse which is not wi-fi, has suddenly started playing buggeurs D' risable! I am not physically touching it but it is slowly moving across the screen like an invisible hand is moving it, yet it is sitting stock still on its mat.

Does this mean the @@@@ thing is dying/dead/just being a pain/needs to be replaced/ceremoniously buried in a tar pit?

Do you have another mouse you can try? That way you can tell if it's a mouse problem or a computer problem.

If it's a mouse problem, you are probably as well to replace it. You can get mouses (mice?) very cheaply these days, and it's always worth having a back-up. :)

If it's a ball mouse, it may be something as simple as unscrewing the bottom, taking the actual ball out, and cleaning the gunk on the rollers. :)

Good luck!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. It's a wheel mouse type thing. I think I will get another one. I have had this one since I brought the computer! (nearly four years now!) :D
meerkat

Postby Del » Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 pm

meerkat wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. It's a wheel mouse type thing. I think I will get another one. I have had this one since I brought the computer! (nearly four years now!) :D

Well... he most probably got tired! Four years!? He's getting on a bit isn't he?

mouseonwheels.jpg
Del

Postby meerkat » Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 pm

Nah, mine is black with red surround.
meerkat

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum