A question about computers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

A question about computers

Postby Kittycat1977 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi there

I know that some people on here are IT aces so thought I would pick your brains.

After 2 weeks without a laptop I have bitten the bullet and bought one. I have got myself a second hand one which was quite cheap and is loaded with free software but I think I need to buy Microsoft Office.

I have had a look around and the cheapest I can get if for is £100 which I cannot afford until I have found a permanent job, I have found a listing on ebay that looks like it could be good and it is a reasonable price. Its not the most up to date version I think it is the 2002 version which is why it is cheaper could you please let me know what you think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Off ... 175wt_1037

Thanks
Last edited by Kittycat1977 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

i use open office which i downloaded for free and ive never had any problems with it
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Kittycat1977 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly Chris.

That's what I have got but I wasn't sure if people who had windows can open documents properly. I went to get some cv's printed off today and they were having trouble opening the document because it was in open office.

To be honest once I have a job I probably won't even use it I just want to make sure that after spending 3 hours on an application form people can actually open it to read the damn thing. :lol:
Kittycat1977

Postby chris.ph » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:30 pm

i never had any problems when i was sending out my cv when i was job hunting,but i didnt send that many out luckily :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:02 pm

I used Wordpad for ages. It's part of Windows, so your computer will already have it. You can write documents that will be able to be read by Word and it has several features that Word has got. The main thing it's missing is a spellchecker. :wink:

You can also open Word documents with it.

Give it a go and see what you think. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 pm

An old version of word might be even worse for opening documents!
Open office documents dhould be fine like Chris says but if that isn't working save as PDFs and send those out
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Conforumist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:20 pm

The new Open Office products are pretty good.

I was super lucky; when I started my new job, I was able to buy the 2010 MS Office suite for $10!
Conforumist

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Open office is excellent and will do all you need just don't save in the default format if you want to send something to somebody else in an electronic format. You can save files in a older Word format from open office so just use that
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Conforumist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:44 am

I was actually surprised at how many companies accepted resumes in Open Office format when I was job hunting..
Conforumist

Postby ChristianBecker » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:33 am

As others here suggested, use OpenOffice or LibreOffice (about the same).
Choose "save as" and choose a .doc format in the drop-down menu for "Format" so companies will be able to open your cv with Word.
Alternatively, export as PDF (since they have no business altering your CV, PDF is the best choice since it will look exactly the same on all machines).

Third alternative (since you said you wouldn't need Office for very long:
Download MS Office trial version from www.microsoft.com
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby ramtopsman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Hey the reason why 2002 is cheaper than 2003 or above is to do with the documents after DOC 2002 it was highly incompatible with any of the newer office systems

I use Open office and windows office (From a "special source" ( :wink: )
Check out all things pratchett at

www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman
ramtopsman

Postby Kittycat1977 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone. Looking at the replies I think the easiest option is to save cv's and application forms as pdf's before sending them.

Thanks again.
Kittycat1977

Postby Jason » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:26 am

If you do need to get an official copy of Microsoft Office and you have any students in the house you can get Office 2010 Professional Plus for less than £40 from Software4Students.co.uk

Also if you sign up for a Microsoft Live account you can use the online version of Word.
http://www.windowslive.com
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby deldaisy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:47 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. When I did my last resume at the g/f's house and sent it back to me at home it came back goobly gook all over the place.

QUESTION:

My laptop won't recognise my mouses. :cry: I am hopeless without a mouse.

Also..... when I am typing suddenly the cursor will move and put typing in between the text i have already typed ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So annoying.

Also... I bumped "something" and suddenly my icon thingies are at the SIDE of my screen and not at the bottom ????????????

I have run scans and everything is okay according to them. (Re: mouse) and even uninstalled the mouse driver and downloaded it again. Still won't work. Mouses are both cordfree btw.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Try clicking Start and then selecting Devices and Printers (if you have Windows 7). That should tell you what mouse devices are set up. You may need to install/download a driver for you mouse. :?

And - good to see you again, Del. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Next

Return to The Broken Drum