Unseen Academicals

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohbcarrot » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:51 pm

:oops: Bollux! Never saw that!
:oops: Bollux! Never saw that!
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:28 pm

:lol: To be fair - when I linked to it, it was in colour. Paul Kidby was then instructed to go for the sepia tones that the cover now shows. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:03 pm

On Tony's link Paul Kidby says -

Anyway, it transpired that Terry requested that the cover should be sepia and more 'oldey worldey' like a vintage team photo; and thanks to the magic of digital technology, the designers at Transworld have manipulated the image accordingly.

so Paul still has the colour original and the publishers graphics chaps 'leached' the image - glad they didn't mess with the Librarian much at all though as that ginger colour is just brilliant and works well with the sepis! :twisted:

Actually that was a good call of Pterry's - it looks a lot more aesthetic that way
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:20 pm

I was wondering if cameras worked on vampires on the Disc. It seems that they don't work on Roundworld ones, but Discworld cameras work differently - don't they? :?
Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Dont see why not after all Imps (demonds) only paint whats really there, just makes you think does a vampire look the same to us as an imp :?
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Batty » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:29 pm

In 'The Truth' (page 153), Otto is affected every time the flash of the camera goes off whenever he takes a photo, and therefore carries a card with him;
"Do not be alarmed," he [William] read. "The former bearer of this card has suffered a minor accident. You vill need a drop of blood from any species, and a dustpan and brush."

Otto later swaps the card and starts to carry a small phial of blood with him, so that it smashes and revives him whenever he falls to the floor.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Batty wrote:In 'The Truth' (page 153), Otto is affected every time the flash of the camera goes off whenever he takes a photo, and therefore carries a card with him;
"Do not be alarmed," he [William] read. "The former bearer of this card has suffered a minor accident. You vill need a drop of blood from any species, and a dustpan and brush."

Otto later swaps the card and starts to carry a small phial of blood with him, so that it smashes and revives him whenever he falls to the floor.
That's right, but that has more to do with the bright light of the flash - as with Roundworld vampires, DW ones don't like light and tend to crumble in sunlight.

But reflections are different I think. RW vampires can't be seen in mirrors and don't show up in photos. I have a feeling that there's a mention in one of the books about a vampire (Arthur Winkings I think) who finds it very difficult to shave after becoming a vampire because he can't use a mirror. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Batty wrote:In 'The Truth' (page 153), Otto is affected every time the flash of the camera goes off whenever he takes a photo, and therefore carries a card with him;

That's right, but that has more to do with the bright light of the flash - as with Roundworld vampires, DW ones don't like light and tend to crumble in sunlight.

But reflections are different I think. RW vampires can't be seen in mirrors and don't show up in photos. I have a feeling that there's a mention in one of the books about a vampire (Arthur Winkings I think) who finds it very difficult to shave after becoming a vampire because he can't use a mirror. :)

That correct Tony. I just finished listening to Reaper Man the other day an dhe does state something to this affect.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Stultus Saxum » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Has anyone seen this? Or do people know of better routes?
Unseen Academicals
Stultus Saxum

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum