BBC News (Bouncy's Broadcasting Castle)

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

deldaisy wrote:
deldaisy wrote:A very young baby humpback whale stranded itself right on the beach at the Gold Coast yesterday and a digger was brought in to dig a trench to help drag it back to the ocean.... in the hopes that its call would reunite it with its mother. (alot of whales off our coast right now) as whales can hear for a long way.

They have had helicopters out checking and they THINK they have spotted the calf with its mother. Lots of mums and bubs out there. Hopefully the little one is safe and well now with Mum.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 1ijru.html

:cry: :cry: So very sad... they little baby whale washed back up on the beach today and was so ill and distressed they had to put it down. Poor little thing.... poor mother whale.

:(
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby meerkat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 am

deldaisy wrote:
deldaisy wrote:A very young baby humpback whale stranded itself right on the beach at the Gold Coast yesterday and a digger was brought in to dig a trench to help drag it back to the ocean.... in the hopes that its call would reunite it with its mother. (alot of whales off our coast right now) as whales can hear for a long way.

They have had helicopters out checking and they THINK they have spotted the calf with its mother. Lots of mums and bubs out there. Hopefully the little one is safe and well now with Mum.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... 1ijru.html

:cry: :cry: So very sad... they little baby whale washed back up on the beach today and was so ill and distressed they had to put it down. Poor little thing.... poor mother whale.

Are they going to do an autopsy to see why he kept beaching?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 am

meerkat wrote:Are they going to do an autopsy to see why he kept beaching?

All I heard was that they were going to bury the poor sod. :(
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby meerkat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 am

Wouldn't it be better to bury him at sea and then he'll go back into recycling the ocean?
meerkat

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am

meerkat wrote:Wouldn't it be better to bury him at sea and then he'll go back into recycling the ocean?

Might wash back up again. I believe that first time was drama, the second time was tragedy, and the third time would be comedy of the darkest sort. :|

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 am

Anyway, now for some less depressing news.

Possible evidence for panspermia found in Australian meteorite.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 am

Meterorites are awash with molecules like this, all that solar energy is good for cooking up interesting amino acids and nucleotides. Seems to me though that it wouldn't be very easy for the molceules to get out - probably easier if the same processes occurred on Earth. 3.8 billion years ago the Earth was a pretty interesting place.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 am

Except the Internet connections were a bit patchy!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby meerkat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 am

:lol:
meerkat

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:24 am

Dotsie wrote:Meterorites are awash with molecules like this, all that solar energy is good for cooking up interesting amino acids and nucleotides. Seems to me though that it wouldn't be very easy for the molceules to get out - probably easier if the same processes occurred on Earth. 3.8 billion years ago the Earth was a pretty interesting place.

Interesting? Well, I suppose a reducing atmosphere, volcanic eruptions, and then a planet the size of Mars smacking into you (okay, that was earlier, but I wanted to make a point) could be classified as interesting. As in, 'may you live in interesting times'.

But I do agree. Life is more likely to evolve on Earth than it is to evolve in a meteorite. Still, there's some hardy little microbes out there. While researching my novel, I stumbled across the bacteria Deinococcus radiodurans. That thing is the Rasputin of microbes. Wouldn't you agree, Dotsie?

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 am

Absolutely - it can withstand orders of magnitude more radiation than any other organism we know of (except the Hulk, and look what happened to him). It's not really clear why, except that it might be a side-effect of a different way of withstanding extremely dry conditions (which really messes with your DNA).
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 am

D'ya know, I could talk about germs and the like all day. But nobody seems to want to listen :oops:
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 am

Dotsie wrote:D'ya know, I could talk about germs and the like all day. But nobody seems to want to listen :oops:

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 am

Nooo! Deinococcus won't make you poorly! Honest!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:34 am

Anything with the word coccus at the end scares me.

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum